New guy from Colorado

For those who want to fly, but aren't interested in the expense of private planes, give RC airplanes a try. It's a wonderful hobby, that I've enjoyed for 30+ years now. Or, if you really like challenges, try RC helicopters.

I should try that! I really enjoyed my .049 Thimble Drome days. My wife sez, "Oh great, another toy!". She knows me well.

šŸ˜‰

Mike

For those who want to fly, but aren't interested in the expense of private planes, give RC airplanes a try. It's a wonderful hobby, that I've enjoyed for 30+ years now. Or, if you really like challenges, try RC helicopters.

Ironically while I grew up in MD, used to spend summers in Phoenix flying RC model airplanes and where I first learned the principles of flying as a kid. Of course also growing up in the Smithsonian National Air & Space Museum in Washington, DC may have also contributed to many flying and astronaut dreams as a kid. Mayyyybe they still do. Mayyyybe might have named my daughter after Amelia Earhart too. šŸ˜

Hello All,

I just figured I'd post a hello because I just joined the ranks of NT owners and this forum a few days ago. I bought a really nice 2010 NT700V last week from a guy in Boulder, Colorado. It's red with a Honda top case and the Honda heated grips. It has a vStream windscreen but is otherwise stock. It needs tires so I've got some PR5's on order. They should be installed by the end of this week.

I'm 52 years old and have owned many motorcycles starting with my first bike, a Z50 when I was in kindergarten. My folks were 1/2 owners of a Honda shop in Loveland, Colorado between the early 70's and 1987. My dad's business partner's son ran the place and we were pretty much in the background. I've always enjoyed riding, but still don't really consider myself a real "rider" when compared to many of you guys.

My favorite bike up to this point was a 2014 NC700x that I bought new in 2015. I sold it last May because I had a scary incident on my Goldwing that convinced me to get out of the motorcycle business--at least riding on the street. I really missed it and couldn't help myself as spring started springing this year in Colorado. A friend was planning to wholesale his 2019 BMW K1600GTL and I bought it sight unseen. I quickly realized that it wasn't a good fit for me so I sold it after owning it a little over a month. I was scouring the for sale ads looking for a smaller bike before the BMW buyer made it out of my neighborhood.

I'm embarrassed to say that prior to seeing the ad for my bike, I wasn't even aware the NT700's existed. I knew I didn't want another BMW, but I really liked a K75 I borrowed for a few weeks about a decade ago. I was really hoping Honda or Kawasaki made something like the K75 when I came upon the NT700. I think it's going to be perfect for the type of riding I do. Less than 400 miles per day. Solo. Not many overnights. A bunch of grocery-getter-type errands around town. The bike kinda reminds me of my NC700 with a road bike emphasis instead of trying to be a dual sport. That's the only part about the NC700 I didn't like--it wasn't to my liking for off-road and the design attempt to be off-road capable detracted from the on-road ability.

In any case, that's me and why I'm here! I tend to do my own maintenance on everything I own, but I'm hoping that the NT will live up to Honda tradition and not need much maintenance. I'm hoping to buy another NT in the near future to loan to my brother on occasion and to possibly stage at different mountain airports in Colorado so I can fly my little plane in and start my riding from there instead of having to slug it out on a highway to get to the great riding in the Colorado mountains. (I'm also a pilot and am pretty involved with small airplanes.)

Thanks in advice for the collective NT wisdom on this site and I apologize in advance for any dumb or obvious questions.

Rod
I'm in the same situation as you, Rod. I sold my Vstar 1100 last month (for a profit :) and the next day bought a 2010 NT700v with 4200 miles on it. It had been stored for years in a body shop garage so it had crud and rust in the fuel tank. It took me a week to clear and clean the tank. I replaced the intake fuel filter assembly and it runs fine again. I replaced the original tires due to their age. The most annoying issue was the latch on the left saddlebag was destroyed. I think I read on this forum that this is a common issue with this model. I took the plunge and bought the oversized lids from David Silver Spares. I've been riding for over 50 years but I may have a few questions about this particular bike in the near future.
To the webmasters, "Thanks for sponsoring this forum!"

Good to have you with us, Knox Rider! Interesting that you were able to find big lids at David Silver Spares. When Rod bought his bike last week or so, they didn't have any either here in the US or in the UK.

You'll like the bike, I think. :cool:

Welcome Knox.

I've logged over 1000 miles of NT time in the last couple of weeks and like the bike a little more with each mile I log. You'll probably like the bigger side cases if you're planning to carry much. I ended up with 2 separate NT700's. One of them has the big lids and the other is standard. I think the smaller lids look better, but they certainly don't carry as much.

I bought the second bike with hopes that my brother would go riding with me here and there. The other possibility is that I'll find a vacation condo up in the mountains and leave one of the bikes up there. If neither of these things happen, I'll have to decide which one is my favorite and sell the other.

The red bike pictured in my avatar needs new tires so that's on the agenda for today. I'll consider it a success if I can get the wheels off and tires dismounted without damaging anything! I've never done tires before, but I now consider myself a YouTube expert! A neighbor said he'd jump in and help if I get stuck, so I've got a backup plan.

Half the fun of a new motorcycle is adding all the little things and tweaking it to just the way you like it. Most of my miles have been on my black NT and it has bar-backs/risers. The positioning feels very comfortable, but I need to log some time in the stock configuration, too, because that might also be perfectly comfortable. I'd also like to add a cell phone holder, some sort of a power distribution system, and a GPS. I had planned on using my cell phone for a GPS, but I'm finding that it overheats with much sunlight and from the constant power draw from the GPS usage combined with being plugged into a charger. I think a dedicated GPS is in my future. Funny how I went the first 30 years of driving without a GPS and now I'm (literally) lost without it!

I would have liked to learn to fly ultralights, but at this point, I'm diabetic - so that's a done deal. No more.

Also interesting, is that a professional pilot, who's also flying experimental aircraft, choose the NT as the motorcycle of choice. In some circles it's called the "Dullville" (corruption of Deauville, European name for the model). And it kinda is...it does everything okay, but only stands out in terms of quality of mechanical design.

If you're still of a mind to try ultralights, you should look into it again. I'm not fluent in all the rules and procedures, but there's a new program called Basic Med which allows you to self-certify. The way it's been described to me is that if you are medically able to hold a driver's license, you'd probably qualify under the Basic Med program. There are limits to the size and speed of aircraft you can fly with Basic Med, but I'm sure ultralights would be well under these limits. The Aircraft Owners and Pilot's Association (aopa.org) and/or the Experimental Aircraft Association (eaa.org) are great resources for more information on the Basic Med program. It's also my understanding that true Ultralights don't need a medical at all. There's a weight limitation on what constitutes a "true" Ultralight and the EAA would have that information, too. Go for it if you still have an interest!

As for the Pilot image and the Dull-ville bike... I'd say the vast majority of pilots don't look or act much like the Tom Cruise character in Top Gun. Most of us are very conservative in our decisions and tend to be overly analytical and downright stodgy in our behavior. I'd say the most common bike among pilots is probably a Harley with lots of chrome and loud pipes. The average probably rides less than 2000 miles per year. They can afford anything, so they've got as much invested in Harley clothing and bangles as they do in the bike. You can spot them because they're the ones scared to lean their Barca-loungers more than about 5 degrees in the corners and being outrun by Lincolns with Missouri plates going over Trail Ridge Road in the summertime.

This being said, a buddy of mine from work did an extensive round-the-world ride on a R 200GS and wrote a book about it. I haven't read it, yet, but I plan to. Bob Dolven. https://www.amazon.com/ANDIAMO-FULL...d=1&keywords=Bob+Dolven&qid=1623252620&sr=8-1

I have 2 Experimental category airplanes, an RV-3 and a Glasair 1RG. I live at a residential airpark so I fly several times per week. I also fly an Airbus for work. As much as I enjoy flying, I also really enjoy riding motorcycles. Iā€™ve never been a big distance multi-day trip person, but I like running errands with a motorcycle and I enjoy day trips in the mountains.

Hereā€˜s a pic of my airplanes...

View attachment 17828

View attachment 17827
You will find lots of pilots and aircraft mechanics here. I go to Reno and OSH every year. Pilots appreciate the NT for what it is.
Ref: close calls....things are getting much worse out there.....I can ride the back roads down to Reno and not have any close calls. I cant even ride around Spokane for an hour and not have a situation in my car or on my bike. Agressive driving, road rage, driving while under the influence, and especially tail gaiting are out of control. The cellphone is another enemy of the rider. I dont ride at night anymore, either. I pick my rides. And I think being a pilot has really helped me with my defensive skills as a rider and driver. (I camp out at OSH with a bunch of accident reconstruction engineers who have bikes and all fly, too. At Reno, the sport class is the hottest class going right now.....of course, sometimes things do go wrong and you land where you can or have to.....
parker 0.jpg

Welcome to the forum and the world of the NT. Interesting that I stopped by the Honda shop in Loveland back in 1980 after enjoying the first ever Vetter Rally down in Colorado Springs. Stayed in Loveland a few more days before heading back to WV. Hope you enjoy the NT as much as I have mine. Rolled over 76 K miles last month and still loving it. Enjoy the ride !

But on the other hand, it annoys me. Big-time, right now, as my NC, with 9500 miles, needs a chain and sprockets. Estimate, $600. I could do it, after I teach myself how to rivet a chain, but it needs a rear tire, too. So, just bite the bullet...I guess with that DCT banging the chain around (it does) ten thousand miles is all I'll get out of one.

Unnecessary...

I seriously think that is why they are going back to chains. Think about it, there haven't been many replacements of the final drive units on Honda's. I know folks who still tool around on their 75 and 78 Goldwings and they have never changed more than the oil. :think1: No money in that for Honda or any of the other manufacturers. I haven't owned a chain drive motorcycle since 1979 when I purchased a CX500Deluxe. Every bike since then, even some sport models, have had shaft drive. Guess I'll be riding my NT for a long time or do like Phil and buy another with less miles when I get close to 200 K.

If you're still of a mind to try ultralights, you should look into it again. I'm not fluent in all the rules and procedures, but there's a new program called Basic Med which allows you to self-certify. The way it's been described to me is that if you are medically able to hold a driver's license, you'd probably qualify under the Basic Med program. There are limits to the size and speed of aircraft you can fly with Basic Med, but I'm sure ultralights would be well under these limits. The Aircraft Owners and Pilot's Association (aopa.org) and/or the Experimental Aircraft Association (eaa.org) are great resources for more information on the Basic Med program. It's also my understanding that true Ultralights don't need a medical at all. There's a weight limitation on what constitutes a "true" Ultralight and the EAA would have that information, too. Go for it if you still have an interest!

As for the Pilot image and the Dull-ville bike... I'd say the vast majority of pilots don't look or act much like the Tom Cruise character in Top Gun. Most of us are very conservative in our decisions and tend to be overly analytical and downright stodgy in our behavior. I'd say the most common bike among pilots is probably a Harley with lots of chrome and loud pipes. The average probably rides less than 2000 miles per year. They can afford anything, so they've got as much invested in Harley clothing and bangles as they do in the bike. You can spot them because they're the ones scared to lean their Barca-loungers more than about 5 degrees in the corners and being outrun by Lincolns with Missouri plates going over Trail Ridge Road in the summertime.

This being said, a buddy of mine from work did an extensive round-the-world ride on a R 200GS and wrote a book about it. I haven't read it, yet, but I plan to. Bob Dolven. https://www.amazon.com/ANDIAMO-FULL...d=1&keywords=Bob+Dolven&qid=1623252620&sr=8-1
Do pilots in the lite sport class need full FAA medicals?

But on the other hand, it annoys me. Big-time, right now, as my NC, with 9500 miles, needs a chain and sprockets. Estimate, $600. I could do it, after I teach myself how to rivet a chain, but it needs a rear tire, too. So, just bite the bullet...I guess with that DCT banging the chain around (it does) ten thousand miles is all I'll get out of one.

9500 miles?????Chain and Sprokets???? No way. Something is wrong. I use the Chuck Henderson system of Dupont chain wax and cleaner.....every 3,000 miles for cleaning, I lube every 300-500.
My two chains look like new as do the sprockets. You dont need a chain breaker kit anymore. . That is soooo last century.
Good vid on the web on how to put it on...easy peazy.

And there is nothing wrong with clips.

d chain.jpg

. What Iā€™ve found is that the deeper I get into the hobby the less expensive it becomes.
?????
Wow....I have never seen such a hobby!!!!! The deeper I get into my hobbies, the more expensive they become. Watching figure skating. $50,000. Shooting. $100,000. Motorcycling. Way above $300,000. Cruising, $20,000 and climbing.
There is an ultra light field at OSH that has some pretty cool planes that dont cost $50,000 though. And some even look like planes.

Maybe I will take up air racing....how expensive could that possibly be?

?????
Wow....I have never seen such a hobby!!!!! The deeper I get into my hobbies, the more expensive they become. Watching figure skating. $50,000. Shooting. $100,000. Motorcycling. Way above $300,000. Cruising, $20,000 and climbing.
There is an ultra light field at OSH that has some pretty cool planes that dont cost $50,000 though. And some even look like planes.

Maybe I will take up air racing....how expensive could that possibly be?
This is what happens when an oil filter boss fails and the prop goes to fine pitch. The prop disinigrates and the engine exploads.
relentless_engine.jpg

I seriously think that is why they are going back to chains. Think about it, there haven't been many replacements of the final drive units on Honda's. I know folks who still tool around on their 75 and 78 Goldwings and they have never changed more than the oil. :think1: No money in that for Honda or any of the other manufacturers. I haven't owned a chain drive motorcycle since 1979 when I purchased a CX500Deluxe. Every bike since then, even some sport models, have had shaft drive. Guess I'll be riding my NT for a long time or do like Phil and buy another with less miles when I get close to 200 K.
Chains are light, cheep, and need replacement at 20,000. If there are no chain enclosures which are very common in the far east. That is why there are no mid weight shaft drives anymore.
My first bike was a YG 1 yamaha. Circa 1965. It had an enclosed chain. Why would you not? Too make money for the dealer!!!!! What wears out a chain is the paste of the lube and the rode grit.
yg1.jpg

The best-case estimate on a chain and sprockets was 13,000 miles or so for the NC700X. I got 12k or so before the OEM installed chain started getting me headaches. Lubing and cleaning the chain every so often with quality chain lubes will get you to get close to those miles. Also, keeping the chain tension within the recommended range of 1.2 to 1.6 inches and with the proper rear wheel alignment when adjusting the chain.

I did my own chain and sprocket replacements.

However, you will need the following as well for this job:
BTW, here is a guy who let his chain maintenance go a bit long. He now has a hole in his crank case.
a hole.jpg

9500 miles?????Chain and Sprokets???? No way. Something is wrong.

I concur, especially on a bike that makes ZzzzZz HP. I'm not OCD about chain maintenance, and I'm also pretty hard on the final drive with acceleration. The bikes in question have twice as many ponies as a NC does. I can still expect 20K - 30K out of a modern x-ring chain and OEM style sprockets.

Back
Top Bottom