New Helmet

mikesim

Site Supporter
Bike
NT700, Red, #989,
I never got more than four years out of any helmet--bicycle helmets included (never wore one out--crashed four so far--I like Bell) I have very oily hair and that seems to attack helmet liners. That is the primary reason that I stay away from Schuberth and the other high line helmets. I do wonder if there is some sort of varnish that could be applied to the styrofoam liners so that hair oil would not affect the foam.

Alex:

I have the HJC IS-MAX BT (a modular) which I like a lot. It has a removable/replaceable liner. I removed and cleaned the liner after one year of use and it was like new again. I am starting to see some wear after about 18 months of almost daily use, but HJC offers replacement pads which I probably will get next spring. The IS-MAX BT retails at ~$185.00.

Mike

Bike
Silver NT700V
Like Mike I have fairly oily hair. I also crew cut it so sweat, oil etc go directly to the helmet liner. On my Arai, the liner is not removable. I took to wearing do-rags a couple years back when my borther gave me one for my birthday. The do-rags keep a tremendous amount of gunk out of the helmet liner. They are cheap and you just throw them in the wash. After fours years, my helmet does not smell like a locker room. The helmet will age out next summer so I am watching these discussions closely.

Anyway, try a do-rag. Might work.

mikesim

Site Supporter
Bike
NT700, Red, #989,
Like Mike I have fairly oily hair. I also crew cut it so sweat, oil etc go directly to the helmet liner. On my Arai, the liner is not removable. I took to wearing do-rags a couple years back when my borther gave me one for my birthday. The do-rags keep a tremendous amount of gunk out of the helmet liner. They are cheap and you just throw them in the wash. After fours years, my helmet does not smell like a locker room. The helmet will age out next summer so I am watching these discussions closely.

Anyway, try a do-rag. Might work.
Chuck:

You misread the thread.... Alex has the oily hair.... me on the other hand? I have damned little hair!

;^)

Mike

OP
OP
Bear

Bear

Bike
2010 NT-700 V Red
It was a tossup between the HJC BT and the Revolver. I picked the Revolver because it is Hi-Viz. Both fit well and were comfortable. I guess there atr so many helmet configurations because everybody has a different shaped head. Will see how the Bell works out. In the past, I had a Bell Magnum, and later a Bell Star. Both worked well. I am on my fourth Bell bicycle helmet--all replaced after crashing. They must be OK because my head is intact (there is some differing opinion there)

elizilla

If your helmet gets stinky, and it doesn't have a removable liner you can still wash it. I wash mine in the bathtub, using plenty of warm (not hot) water and the same shampoo I use on my hair. Shampoo is gentle, it's intended to clean the sort of grime that's in the helmet (which can't be much different than the grime in hair), and any residue it leaves, isn't going to irritate my skin or annoy me with its perfume. I rinse it well, and set it on a towel in front of a fan, to dry. It dries overnight and smells like my own clean hair.

Last edited by a moderator:

junglejim

Site Supporter
Bike
Tiger 800, NT sold
The odor in side my helmet is part of my motorcycling experience. It just seems normal to put on my own smelly helmet. Besides that it is a good theft deterrent. No one else would want it. Leaving the bug guts on the outside keeps the theives away too.

I washed it out and now it smells like soap. An other new experience. As bad as I am on helmet cleanliness my visor is always clean so I can see what is about to hit me.

Bike
2010 Red NT700
Alex
i know you're on the mend and haven't ridden in a while. I wonder if you could still give an updated review of your Revovlver?
I am looking at the Bell Vortex and the Icon Alliance, which are both full face, but I am intersted in the Revolver as well

Clay

Last edited:
Bike
1984 Moto Guzzi T5
I am still leaning to the new Lazer Monaco. Wish I could afford the carbon fiber version.

OP
OP
Bear

Bear

Bike
2010 NT-700 V Red
Clay,
What I like about the Revolver is the inside sun shield. When you want it up, you simply press the button and a spring snaps it up. The sun shield is also a good distance from the bridge of my nose. The helmet is about as quiet as my Nolan N-103 and a bit lighter. My ear plugs handle any noise no matter what I wear. The liner comes out easily for washing and goes in easily as well. Ventilation is good and on cold days the bottom third of the face shield does not fog up---you get a little condensation. The Hi-Viz yellow--looks green to me, is visible for a long way. I think that for just under $200 that it was a good buy.

Bike
2010 Red NT700
Thanks alex. I have an HJC IS-16 that I really like and is less than a year old. It also has the built in sun shades. (the main reason I got it) But it has become noisier, or at least I think it has. I was riding a CBR250R when I switched to the NT and I wore earplugs at all times, so I don't know if it was noisy or quiet when I got it. The thing is, this helmet makes more noise when I close the shield than it does with the shield open, even behind the CeeBailey in its highest postion!
I have some MC Superstore gift cards and I am waffling between getting a new helmet that I really dont need, or riding pants which I dont have. Or a riding suit

OP
OP
Bear

Bear

Bike
2010 NT-700 V Red
My experience has been that all helmets are noisy--some more than others. To that end, I have invested in a set of custom ear plugs from an audiology clinic. They were expensive ($200) but they are comfortable and can be worn all day---and night if I have a snoring room mate. They don't seem to aggravate my mild case of tinnitus. I wear them when lawn mowing, using the chain saw, weed wacker, snow blower--anything that makes noise.

RedLdr1

Site Supporter
Over time the rubber, felt, or other type seal, at the top of the shield wears out and allows more wind noise...and eventually water on the inside of the shield. Assuming the shield is in good shape otherwise a quick fix it trick to quiet it back down is to replace the old seal with 1/8 inch self adhesive felt. A new sealing surface will usually quiet down most helmets...

Top Bottom