New member from Vienna, AuSTria (Europe)

OP
OP
ST1100Y

ST1100Y

Site Supporter
Bike
ST1100Y, ST1100R, NT700
Just stocked up for fall/winter works in the shed :cool:
clutch plates
brake caliper seals
(daily urban commute + a number of MC safety trainings do show...)

OP
OP
ST1100Y

ST1100Y

Site Supporter
Bike
ST1100Y, ST1100R, NT700
So with motorcycles it seems to be like having kids:

From the first moment I got that NT for my GF, it's her one and all sweetheart...
... but as soon as something shows a glitch I hear "... your motorcycle is acting up ..." 🀣

Yeah-right, suddenly it's mine again... πŸ˜‰

Minor stuff actually, RHS indicator/turn-signals showed a brief delay upon flicking the lever (I'm impressed that she actually noticed that though 😎 )...
I was positive that it can't be the switch-pod as I'd serviced them right when we got the NT... πŸ€”

Turned out that the relays connector, despite the rubber boot over the shell, had some contact issues.
Unplug - reconnect and it works promptly again.
Will give it a whiff ACF-50 the next time we're at the shed...

Anyway, see that you inspect and service all exposed connections in the fall/winter season...

From the first moment I got that NT for my GF, it's her one and all sweetheart...
... but as soon as something shows a glitch I hear "... your motorcycle is acting up ..." 🀣

Minor stuff actually, RHS indicator/turn-signals showed a brief delay upon flicking the lever (I'm impressed that she actually noticed that though 😎 )...
I was positive that it can't be the switch-pod as I'd serviced them right when we got the NT... πŸ€”

Turned out that the relays connector, despite the rubber boot over the shell, had some contact issues.

Anyway, see that you inspect and service all exposed connections in the fall/winter season...
"So with motorcycles it seems to be like having kids:"... the key difference being, motorcycle are far less expensive and when they start acting up, it's legal to sell them to someone across country and start over. 😏

Bike
'83 BMW R100RS & 3 XS650s

That precisely mirrors my experience ST1100Y.

I have worked with technology all my life - electrical and mechanical (I am a mechanical engineer). I must say that while I have had all sorts of trouble with electrical stuff, I can count the number of times that an electrical device has actually failed on the fingers of one or possibly 1.5 hands.

In my experience, electrical trouble is almost always a result of:
  • a bad connection (loose, corroded, broken, etc.);
  • an incorrect connection (i.e. someone hooked it up incorrectly - which often results in a broken connection or at least a blown fuse);
  • an incorrect control input (someone pushed the wrong button);
  • non-equipment failure (i.e. a human "dumb-thumb" issue - a mistake, usually on my part).
Now, I have had a few actual electrical hardware failures (blown ICs, fried coils, cooked displays etc.), but only a very few.

The moral of the story is: if you have electrical trouble, check the connections and wiring first - before firing the parts cannon at it.

Pete

Last edited:
OP
OP
ST1100Y

ST1100Y

Site Supporter
Bike
ST1100Y, ST1100R, NT700
Alright... GF wearing a new miniskirt ...

... on her NT700VA ;)

after this find:

I finally came around installing it:

IMG_20220212_182004.jpg IMG_20220212_182027.jpg IMG_20220212_182053.jpg IMG_20220212_182115.jpg IMG_20220212_182125.jpg IMG_20220212_183625.jpg IMG_20220212_183639.jpg

I like the more discreet appearance, mimicking the lines, nooks & crannies of the Honda fairing; not "bloated" like the previous, black PUIG thing...
Material is gray, vacuum molded ABS (being blasted by the front wheel spray I will refrain from painting it), installation points require a little more efforts (two brakets fix at the rearward crash-bar mounting bolts) but are quite sturdy and not abusing any engine casing bolts like the PUIG solution...

Bad weather tests are still due...

While at it I also replaced the 12V/5V USB supply for the Garmin satnav (which suffered broken 5V cables due poor production) plus prepared wiring/power supply for the heated handles she'll likes to have for the planned trip to Norway...

Last edited:

mikesim

Site Supporter
Bike
NT700, Red, #989,
I rather like the looks of the new lower fairing but I question its ability to deflect air/water. Let us know about the effectiveness after you have ridden in the rain.

Mike

OP
OP
ST1100Y

ST1100Y

Site Supporter
Bike
ST1100Y, ST1100R, NT700
I see you also have another NT in you shop. Did you trade in your ST11 for a NT?;)
Nope... you'll have to brake the ST1100 out my dead, cold claws :cool:
But intrigued by my GF's NT my ST1300 owning friend also got himself an NT700VA last year; he admits that it does take time to get accustomed to the 2-cyl engine πŸ˜‰

Bike
19 Versys 1K SE, 14 FJR
my ST1300 owning friend also got himself an NT700VA last year; he admits that it does take time to get accustomed to the 2-cyl engine πŸ˜‰
I agree. After owning a NT for 4 years, I was never got comfortable with the Honda's Twin engine vibrations. As said many times before, If Honda had put the VFR 750 or 800 motor in the NT then I would still have mine.

OP
OP
ST1100Y

ST1100Y

Site Supporter
Bike
ST1100Y, ST1100R, NT700
After owning a NT for 4 years, I was never got comfortable with the Honda's Twin engine vibrations.
More that a V-4 just pulls... smoothly... right from idle up... :cool:
But since his wife is on her NC750X now, he perceives the ST1300 a tad too heavy for riding solo...
And from what I could sense when testing her NC750 those parallel twins also feel a bit pulsating... far from the "electric motor smoothness" my ST1100 performs... πŸ€”

OP
OP
ST1100Y

ST1100Y

Site Supporter
Bike
ST1100Y, ST1100R, NT700
And the large pannier covers arrived today... :cool:
Took David Silver UK a bit, but they unearthed them somewhere, OEM Honda packing, € 430,- incl P&P ain't bad and well worth the wait...
Off to Amazon to re-order the vinyl scuff protectors (I'd already installed a set on the original lids) and some 5 minute epoxy to enforce the mounting points for locking loops and tether cords...
Together with the Oxford Super Muffs and heated handles she'll be ready for the Norway haul :biggrin:

Phil Tarman

Site Supporter
Bike
2010 Silver NT700VA (ABS)
How long did it take David Silver UK to come up with the big lids?

JQL

Growing old disgracefully
Bike
2010 NT700 & 2019 FJR1300
I got the scuff protectors and "bumper strips" from our local Norauto.

OP
OP
ST1100Y

ST1100Y

Site Supporter
Bike
ST1100Y, ST1100R, NT700
Quite a wait, but at least you got them!
Especially at that price...

Alright, serviced the drive splines (rear wheel out, all cleaned and Gn-plus applied where required, hub-dampers and aluminium bushings still OK), new foam grips installed (second handlebar with heated handles is in progress) all inspected and cleaned up, NT runs fine, GF's daily ride is out on the streets again ;)

OP
OP
ST1100Y

ST1100Y

Site Supporter
Bike
ST1100Y, ST1100R, NT700
The NOCO NLP14 lithium (LiFePO4) battery will get in today...
I'm tired of the problems with AGM and gel types...

Top Bottom