newbie here

Hello fellow nt riders my name is ron from ft myers fl I bought my nt 700v in august and cleaned and fix it up real nice and enjoying the smooth feel of that Honda v twin I also have a 88 hawk gt 647 almost the same engine just chain drive and single side swing arm too here a couple pics and safe and happy riding!

Attachments

Bike
NT700V, NC700X, XL600R
Welcome Aboard and Greetings from SoCal. :cool:

You basically have the predecessor to the NT700V. In Europe, they had the NT650V at the same time, while we in the US got the Hawk GT.

You can do a side-by-side comparison that many of us won't get that opportunity to do. Let us all know what you think about the two and their differences.

Bike
2020 Kawasaki Versys
Welcome. Hope you enjoy the new wheels. This site is full of knowledge. Ask if you have questions, and someone will almost always have the correct answer.

Brad

Phil Tarman

Site Supporter
Bike
2010 Silver NT700VA (ABS)
Ron, it's great to have you with us on the best Forum in motorcycling! Nice people, sharing about good bikes (quite a few of our members have owned NTs and moved on to other bikes but stayed active on the Forum).

I'm on my 2nd 2010 NT700VA (both silver ABS versions). The first one had 138,000 miles on the clock when I traded it for one that is 13 serial numbers older but only had 22,000 miles when made the trade.

Bike
2010 NT700V
Welcome. And congratulations on your new acquisition.
I drove the Hawk 650 20 years ago and now I owned the nt700v. To much of a gap to remember the difference. But I remember the hawk been very nimble but not that great on highways. The nt700v not that nimble but still pretty good but doing very well on highways. Let me know if you think the same.

OP
OP
ron58
Welcome. Hope you enjoy the new wheels. This site is full of knowledge. Ask if you have questions, and someone will almost always have the correct answer.

Brad
Thanks Brad I love those rz 350 I see you had one in your pic I have two friends that one as well

OP
OP
ron58
Welcome Aboard and Greetings from SoCal. :cool:

You basically have the predecessor to the NT700V. In Europe, they had the NT650V at the same time, while we in the US got the Hawk GT.

You can do a side-by-side comparison that many of us won't get that opportunity to do. Let us all know what you think about the two and their differences.
Ok well I love my hawk as my sport bike that I can rip on it handles awesome and just a dream to flick around and the nt 700 just about just seems a bit bigger and think if it has more a smooth riding tour bike but still lots of fun an them twistys

OP
OP
ron58
Welcome. And congratulations on your new acquisition.
I drove the Hawk 650 20 years ago and now I owned the nt700v. To much of a gap to remember the difference. But I remember the hawk been very nimble but not that great on highways. The nt700v not that nimble but still pretty good but doing very well on highways. Let me know if you think the same.
You got it right that is right on the money i'll use the hawk as my sport bike and the nt 700 as my long distance hauler I thought I saw you are in Florida if so what town are you in ft.myers here

DirtFlier

Site Supporter
Bike
2010 Silver NT700V/ABS
"...I also have a 88 hawk gt 647 almost the same engine just chain drive and single side swing arm....ron58"

It was called NT650 GT and yes, they are both V-twins but actually quite different. The NT uses a 4-valve cyl head where the 650 GT had a 3 valve head. The engine turns backwards on the NT compared to the GT, as is normal for Honda engines comparing chain drive vs shaft drive. It also had carbs vs Fi.

The single sided swing arm was a true work of beauty but expensive to produce. I recall the tank was nice looking but held less than 3 gals of fuel giving it a fairly limited range of under 150 miles?

OP
OP
ron58
Ron, it's great to have you with us on the best Forum in motorcycling! Nice people, sharing about good bikes (quite a few of our members have owned NTs and moved on to other bikes but stayed active on the Forum).

I'm on my 2nd 2010 NT700VA (both silver ABS versions). The first one had 138,000 miles on the clock when I traded it for one that is 13 serial numbers older but only had 22,000 miles when made the trade.
Very nice and good to know you get that many miles out of them mine has 17k on it and is # 000684 off the line

OP
OP
ron58
"...I also have a 88 hawk gt 647 almost the same engine just chain drive and single side swing arm....ron58"

It was called NT650 GT and yes, they are both V-twins but actually quite different. The NT uses a 4-valve cyl head where the 650 GT had a 3 valve head. The engine turns backwards on the NT compared to the GT, as is normal for Honda engines comparing chain drive vs shaft drive. It also had carbs vs Fi.

The single sided swing arm was a true work of beauty but expensive to produce. I recall the tank was nice looking but held less than 4 gals of fuel giving it a fairly limited range of under 150 miles?
Ok wow I never know all that info thanks for letting me know that and yeah the hawk needs gas a lot faster then the nt 700

Bike
2010 NT700V
You got it right that is right on the money i'll use the hawk as my sport bike and the nt 700 as my long distance hauler I thought I saw you are in Florida if so what town are you in ft.myers here
I’m in Orlando. It’s like 3 hours away. If you passing by Let me know we can get a cup of coffee and talk Honda V twins...
cheers
Frederic.

OP
OP
ron58
Ok I've been to the ace cafe before it is a real nice place and I always go to bike week in Daytona for the day but I think its canceled did you hear any thing about it and I will let you know if I get up that way I 4 sure makes me nervous..lol..

Bike
2010 NT700V
This isn't really correct. The NT650 Hawk predates the NT650V Deauville by quite a few years. While we got the Hawk GT, Europe's related model was called the NT600 "Revere", and then the NTV650. The NT650V Deauville proper, was released in 1998.

Bike
NT700V, NC700X, XL600R
This isn't really correct. The NT650 Hawk predates the NT650V Deauville by quite a few years. While we got the Hawk GT, Europe's related model was called the NT600 "Revere", and then the NTV650. The NT650V Deauville proper, was released in 1998.
Thanks for the clarification. When the hawk first came out I was in middle school transitioning into high school. I was riding a 1968 Honda S90 at that time.

Bike
2010 NT700V
Ok I've been to the ace cafe before it is a real nice place and I always go to bike week in Daytona for the day but I think its canceled did you hear any thing about it and I will let you know if I get up that way I 4 sure makes me nervous..lol..
I’m not sure if Daytona would be canceled. Probably....

DirtFlier

Site Supporter
Bike
2010 Silver NT700V/ABS
Although it was possible to make the Honda final drive engines turn in the same direction as their chain drive bikes, why bother?

It would require another few bevel gears at the back of the transmission to have it reverse direction but there isn't anything negative about it turning "backwards." It is generally accepted that that each change in direction causes a 5% power loss so why would they want yet another one?

During the 500 cc, 2-stroke days of motorcycle road racing, many teams including Honda, experimented with engines that turned forwards or backwards but there never was a clear consensus to any advantage in either direction because of all the other factors involved. Those bikes were always chain drive.

At least to me, the 550-650-700 series of Honda engines from that era were the first series to utilize lots of innovative technology. The cases were fairly thin and almost shrunk-wrapped around the crank and transmission. The upper end had "valve lash adjusters" which is different from hydraulic lifters because they don't move up-and-down with the cam lobe. The adjusters were small and only acted to keep the rockers at the desired clearance so the internal plunger moved only a minute amount. One of the crank counterweights had teeth cut into its perimeter to minimize crankcase width to drive the starter. Lots of other details from my working days are now forgotten but probably in storage on dusty chips at the back of my brain.... :)

Last edited:
Bike
2010 Red NT700V
Err, this is incorrect. The crankshaft on the NT rotates in the forward direction, that is CCW as viewed from the left side, or same as wheels rolling forward. I recently had mine apart for a valve adjust. Using the starter to bump it over, one can clearly see it spins forward. I wanted to correct this, so that people doing their own valve adjust get it right, and don't damage the cam chain tensioners.

There is an output damper/gear assembly that, among other things, reverses the power flow for the driveshaft, see page 13-27 of the service manual.

Brad

Top Bottom