newbie here

Phil Tarman

Site Supporter
Bike
2010 Silver NT700VA (ABS)
I had wondered about that. I've never done a valve adjustment myself, but I was pretty sure that I had seen the crank rotate CCW from the left side when a mechanic was showing me something.

Bike
2020 Kawasaki Versys
Thanks Brad I love those rz 350 I see you had one in your pic I have two friends that one as well
I think the RZ350 was an attempt to bring me back to my early days of bikes. 2 stroke, Kenny Roberts edition and all. Mine was not that nice, it had a dent in tank and a couple cracked fairing tabs. It was fun, so different feel and sound. Very small and light feeling, but could cruise at speed easily. I sold it when I realized I was maintaining it but not riding it much.
Couple things surprised me like the self canceling turn signals. They are still not all that common on bikes.

Brad
2004_1030RZ3500005.JPGDSCF1360.JPGDSCF1361.JPG

Warren

Bike
2019 Yamaha XMAX
My 1977 Yamaha XS650 also had self canceling turn signals. If I remember correctly they canceled based on time or distance traveled. Seems odd that not many bikes have then anymore. I wonder if they violated some sort of DOT rule or something of that nature

Bike
NT700V, NC700X, XL600R
My 1977 Yamaha XS650 also had self canceling turn signals. If I remember correctly they canceled based on time or distance traveled. Seems odd that not many bikes have then anymore. I wonder if they violated some sort of DOT rule or something of that nature
My 1982 GL1100 Aspencade had self cancelling turn signals. They were speed activated and would cancel themselves after you reached about 20 mph and after the turn had been completed. It was a quite complex system, it might have and a steer head position sensor on it. Only that model had them. The Interstates did not have them.

Bike
2010 Red NT700V
The Yamahas of old that had self cancelling signals had a pulse generator built into the cable driven speedometer. A electronic turn signal module would read the pulses, when they arrived at a fast enough rate (20 mph or so), the module would cancel the turn signals. The left-right turn signal switch was just a trigger to start the blinkers. Pretty cool idea, especially when you consider how sophisticated electronics were NOT back in the 70s and 80s. My 1980 XS850 Special had them.

Brad

Bike
2020 Kawasaki Versys
Think my 83 Midnight Virago also had the same self canceling signals. Yes, after the speedometer made pulses from the cable turning it started a timing relay that timed out to shut off the turn signal. If your timing was off and you started the signal early or were delayed before you stopped for a turn the system could time out and cancel the signal.

Brad

Bike
2020 Kawasaki Versys
but I seem to remember it was distance on the SR. Except, it didn't have an electronic speedometer,
The Yamaha cancel was distance. So many pulses was so many feet of distance. The pulses in an analog speedometer were made in the speedometer housing after being fed by the speedometer cable.
It would seem hard to use banking or turn of the handlebars on a bike. You can't predict how much lean or bar turning will take place in a given turn depending on speed, etc.

Brad

Top Bottom