No new imported NTs?

Here is a conversation I had with my local dealer. Asked if since the NT was on the PowerSports web site could he get me a new NT. The answer was No! Why not I asked. The answer was that if he could do a dealer trade he could get one but that none were available from Honda. Sooo I asked coudl he do a dealer trade and the answer was no becuase the only available bike were too far away. He did kindly let me know where those bikes were if I wished to go get them. There were 3 bikes in a 400 mile radius.

Better get one where you can find it quickly.

Bike
2011 NT, 01 Ultra, 04 VLX
Lorien,

I have no idea where Zha'dum is, but I believe tha Taylor honda in Woodburn Oregon has two 2011 NT 700's in stockThey are just south of Portland Oregon.
eldon

slider

Cycle trader has a few listed. Nobody really wants one is what I was told by the 3 dealers nearest me.You can get one for 9k over here on the east coat. There's one in NJ and one in TN. 2010's are fetching 8300. Quite a deal....or where it should have been priced to start with.

Bike
2010 NT700v Metallic Red
I found one on Craigslist (New Orleans) with a couple thosand miles for $6500, also there is at least one new 2011 at a dealer in the city, in addition to the 2010 that I'm buying.

OP
OP
The shock to me was that there are none in the Honda warehouse in the U.S. Figured they wuold have a few lying around somewhere. Guess not. One of the dealers I was given is an easy hour and half drive should I wish to go. Might do so just out of curiosity and find out the price.

DirtFlier

Site Supporter
Bike
2010 Silver NT700V/ABS
[...there are none in the Honda warehouse in the U.S. Figured they would have a few lying around somewhere..."]

After 12-months, new crated motorcycles are taxed as "fixed assets" for the company so they become a lot more expensive. Just having crates collecting dust in a warehouse isn't done these days so before that cutoff, they typically try to sell them to dealers at a further reduced price.

At our club (MSTA) event in CO last June, I talked to a friend who works for the Big H and he said all the NTs were gone from Honda warehouses.

Bike
2010 Silver NT700VA
The NT hasn't been a big seller for Honda. They are moving on with the NC700X. (Sorry for stating the obvious!) Our NTs will eventually become collector's items---just a matter of time, I figure. By the way, the NC has received rave reviews---and sells at a much lower price point than the NT.

Bike
2011 NT, 01 Ultra, 04 VLX
I do not know if this holds true today, but in July of 2011 wehn I was working with my dealer to get the next one that came into his Oregon dealership I had occassion to be in N.E. TN, visted the large HOnda /?? superstore in Clarksville TN and although they didn't have any on thier showrooom floor I was told they had 7 of the 2011 modles in thier warehouse at that time.

Eldon

Phil Tarman

Site Supporter
Bike
2010 Silver NT700VA (ABS)
By the way, the NC has received rave reviews---and sells at a much lower price point than the NT.
Ed, by the time you put a few things on the NC (center stand, panniers, top box, etc.) it's up close to the price of a stock NT, and it's not as good a LD tourer. I've looked at one and it looks taller than the NT, too. But, it looks like a fun bike for lot of riders. If the NT is never imported again (which wouldn't be that hard to do, since they're still producing it for European and UK sales and they've already gone through the work of certifying it for US sales) I'd probably end up looking at that new F800GT that BMW has just introduced.

Mellow

Admin
2024 Mileage
Bike
21 R1250RT
It's a 2011 model... so no, there aren't any new ones being made or they'd be labeled 2013 on the site. I doubt they stockpile them in Japan or anywhere here in the U.S. I suppose it's possible but I don't need the business sense in that. I don't even see a 2013 model for the NC700X either but that was 1st announced at the NY IMS show this year so perhaps there are still some surprises for Honda to reveal in 2013. It used to be in Oct/Nov you knew everything Honda was going to offer but that doesn't happen anymore so you just never know 'til Honda wants you to know.

DirtFlier

Site Supporter
Bike
2010 Silver NT700V/ABS
The seat height on the NC (32.7") is exactly 1-inch taller than on the NT (31.7") the NC gets good fuel economy but has a fuel tank that holds under 4 gals. If you used it as a tourer and had a bag strapped over the passenger's seat, you'd have to undo that every time you added gas. And the weight is within 15-20 pounds of the NT

On the positive side is the very reasonable MSRP ($6999) so they don't seem to be collecting dust at dealerships. My local dealer sold all 4 that he had in the first week they were available. To be entirely honest, I see no reason to introduce a new Deauville either in Europe or here.

Mellow

Admin
2024 Mileage
Bike
21 R1250RT
The seat height on the NC (32.7") is exactly 1-inch taller than on the NT (31.7") the NC gets good fuel economy but has a fuel tank that holds under 4 gals. If you used it as a tourer and had a bag strapped over the passenger's seat, you'd have to undo that every time you added gas. And the weight is within 15-20 pounds of the NT

On the positive side is the very reasonable MSRP ($6999) so they don't seem to be collecting dust at dealerships. My local dealer sold all 4 that he had in the first week they were available. To be entirely honest, I see no reason to introduce a new Deauville either in Europe or here.
I was looking at the NC as a 2nd bike now that the Super Tenere is sold.

I was thinking the seat gas tank thing was a deal killer but then I started thinking about it more. The main reason I add saddlebags to a bike that doesn't have them is for all that misc stuff like flat repair kit, rain gear, heated gear, cell phone and charger... little stuff. The tank storage area covers that... so, just for short commutes and RTE type rides you wouldn't need any extra luggage.

Then I thought, what about camping, as I put my duffel bag on that passenger seat. Well, if I had that bike I would get some saddlebags for luggage and most of my camping gear can fit in 2 saddlebags. I could even strap the tent to a luggage rack to keep it off the back seat. All that would satisfy my tourng use for this bike.

Then I test rode one... I wasn't that crazy about it. I think as a commuter or day-ride bike it would be perfect but just not enough wind protection to work as a touring bike. Of course folks have been touring on small cruisers for a long time so it's all in what you want to use a bike for and where you want to ride it.

For touring the NT still get's the thumbs up vs the NC.

Bike
19 Versys 1K SE, 14 FJR
Your dealer should have a 2013 six month build date calendar from Honda. Shows what month any particular model will be built in. The calendar that my dealer showed me, shows that in the next 6 month the Gold Wing will be built 4 out of those 6 months, the ST will be built one out of those six month, and the NT was not even on the calendar.

DirtFlier

Site Supporter
Bike
2010 Silver NT700V/ABS
Perhaps a better "day ride bike" might be the new CB500F which is coming here sometime next year. It is vertical twin "standard" with chain drive and appears to have a seating position suitable for humans. It has two 34 mm throttle bodies so unlike the NC, it is not tuned for fuel economy. The fuel tank holds 4.1 gals and it has a 30.9 inch seat height. The rear suspension is via Pro-Link so changing to different "dog bones" is easy and such parts already exist in the UK at a very modest price. The weight is 420 pounds.

skatefriday

I was seriously looking for an NT late last summer. My local dealer
wouldn't part with a 2010 unless there were 5 digits in the number before tax.

I went over to a Kawi dealer and got a 2012 Versys 650 with Givi sidebags
for $8800 out the door (tax and license included in California).

Honda just didn't price the bike properly. I would have rather had an NT,
but not for the price premium.

Phil Tarman

Site Supporter
Bike
2010 Silver NT700VA (ABS)
I'm glad you like the Versys -- it's a good bike. But it's different from the NT. Not as much weather protection, chain drive, taller seat.

I got my '10 ABS model in March of '10 for less than 5 figures ($9599), and there have always been dealers who would price them that way. There's a dealer with a 930-mile used one for sale now for $6K or so.

skatefriday

I'm glad you like the Versys -- it's a good bike. But it's different from the NT. Not as much weather protection, chain drive, taller seat.

I got my '10 ABS model in March of '10 for less than 5 figures ($9599), and there have always been dealers who would price them that way. There's a dealer with a 930-mile used one for sale now for $6K or so.
Yeah, which is why I would have rather had an NT. But in the
end just couldn't justify it for what I wanted. Something to
tool around the Los Angeles maze with. I'm tall enough that
the Versys suits me fine and I like being above cars and
visible and the larger bags were a plus, if not the fact that
they stick out a bit far for lane splitting. I would have rather had
the shaft drive, but that wasn't the deal breaker. The Honda
dealers in the area just gave me the runaround, where a Kawasaki
dealer was upfront on pricing and willing to make a deal to move
a 2012.

However, the NT owners forum is much better than the Versys
forum. Don't tell them I said that.

Mellow

Admin
2024 Mileage
Bike
21 R1250RT
Yeah, which is why I would have rather had an NT. But in the
end just couldn't justify it for what I wanted. Something to
tool around the Los Angeles maze with. I'm tall enough that
the Versys suits me fine and I like being above cars and
visible and the larger bags were a plus, if not the fact that
they stick out a bit far for lane splitting. I would have rather had
the shaft drive, but that wasn't the deal breaker. The Honda
dealers in the area just gave me the runaround, where a Kawasaki
dealer was upfront on pricing and willing to make a deal to move
a 2012.

However, the NT owners forum is much better than the Versys
forum. Don't tell them I said that.
We're glad to have ya... I wouldn't run a site that isn't friendly. Thanks to the mods and the members for helping keep it that way.

Bike
Bonneville T120
I toy with the idea of getting ride of my NT. In fact I recently offered it in trade on another bike. I thought my offer was quite fair. The dealership turned me down as they had taken one in trade and had difficulty moving it. They didn't want to bother with it taking up showroom space for a potentially extended period of time. I think we'll see that in the future, the lack of demand will hurt the selling price, unless it becomes a cult bike. Of course if you're not selling, who cares.

It's a fantastic tourer, it shines on two lane highways at 60 mph. The handling is truly superior, what a thrill! But I hardly do any touring. I only did two "long" rides, overnight, last summer and only one the summer before. So I find myself wondering if it's worth keeping it. I'm fortunate that my wife if fine with me having two bikes in the garage.

I don't care much of the NT in town. Too tall for my 31" inseams. It's bulky compared to my other bike. I really only choose the NT in town when I need carrying capacity.

The NC would probably be a good around town bike but it doesn't appeal to me. The 51 hp is respectable, but I don't like the seat height, the crazy gas fill up under the pillion seat, or the look. There are many other great choices, at very reasonable prices. We are a "Honda Family". In addition to my NT, the wife has a Shadow VLX and a PCX scooter (great ride by the way) but I'm afraid I'd go elsewhere for my next bike.

Top Bottom