NT-700 Spark Plug Caps

I bought my 2010 NT-700 about 2 years ago in Michigan with about 5000 miles on it. (perfect bike for my use) I rode it up there for a couple weeks the past 2 summers, now has 9000 miles. After I moved the bike to SW Florida where I live (and very hot in summer) Iam experiencing the symptoms of the stalling at low RPM's and idle, coming up to stop sign stalling, hard to re-start, etc. Looks like maybe this bike hasn't had the re-call fix? Spark plug caps? The closest Honda dealer is about 40 miles away and I feel like this is going to be a hassle so Iam wondering if anybody has the recommended Cap part number (NGK) I believe so I can fix it myself. I guess they should be able to tell by the vin if its been done, but asking now for future plan B... Answers? Thoughts? Thanks

Ron Hudson

Site Supporter
Bike
2010 Red NT700V..95PC800
I bought my 2010 NT-700 about 2 years ago in Michigan with about 5000 miles on it. (perfect bike for my use) I rode it up there for a couple weeks the past 2 summers, now has 9000 miles. After I moved the bike to SW Florida where I live (and very hot in summer) Iam experiencing the symptoms of the stalling at low RPM's and idle, coming up to stop sign stalling, hard to re-start, etc. Looks like maybe this bike hasn't had the re-call fix? Spark plug caps? The closest Honda dealer is about 40 miles away and I feel like this is going to be a hassle so Iam wondering if anybody has the recommended Cap part number (NGK) I believe so I can fix it myself. I guess they should be able to tell by the vin if its been done, but asking now for future plan B... Answers? Thoughts? Thanks
the part # is

CAP ASSY., NOISE SUPPRESSOR (NGK)

30700-MEW-922

Bike
Black NT700VA-8 ABS
Rather than go to Honda just get them delivered direct from a multitude of sources - NGK VD05F in Black - under $10 each delivered in the UK. The original Honda ones have given problems everywhere, the NGK standard ones seem to give no trouble at all!

Bike
2020 Kawasaki Versys
I don't believe there was a full blown recall so I don't think Honda would have a record if they were changed.
I think it was a service bulletin.

Brad

DirtFlier

Site Supporter
Bike
2010 Silver NT700V/ABS
Brad is correct about the spark plug caps NOT being a Recall. Somewhere in my computer files I have a copy of that bulletin. :)

Ron Hudson

Site Supporter
Bike
2010 Red NT700V..95PC800
It was a Service Bulletin # MTB-13451 issued Dec 2010 provides Dealer instruction on Warranty Claim
Describes the issues: "2010 NT700V/A may experience engine misfire at idle during high ambient temperatures and stop and go traffic." The updated part will have the NGK logo embossed on outside of plug cap..
I recently purchased these and they had NGK logo. OEM part # 30700-MEW-922

Bike
2013 DL650/A & CX500 Euro
This is what you need,

NGK Spark Plug Cap / Boot VB05F (Black) 120º With Resistor No. 8032

I am concerned that the only supplier of this part is now Honda. Is there some other brand that would work? What happens when Honda stops making them? Is there DIY fix? Honda seems to have a lot of motors that don't have this issue.

Bike
2013 DL650/A & CX500 Euro
I am concerned that the only supplier of this part is now Honda. Is there some other brand that would work? What happens when Honda stops making them? Is there DIY fix? Honda seems to have a lot of motors that don't have this issue.
I posted the NGK part number in my post above. While they are no longer made by NGK they are readily available if you do a google search. I purchased a set in the last 9 months or so from a UK seller.

I am also fairly certain that NGK would have a replacement/alternate part available as this is a widely used part across many cars and motorbikes.

Seagrass

mikesim

Site Supporter
Bike
NT700, Red, #989,
Thanks I will look around. Anyone else know if there is a new part number that might work?
I'm sure there is, probably by Denso. On the meantime I contacted NGK tech support to see if P/N 8032 had been superceded or if NGK had a functional equivalent part. I will report back when they reply.

Mike

mikesim

Site Supporter
Bike
NT700, Red, #989,
Interestingly, I find that NGK is out of the spark plug caps business TOTALLY. I found another manufacturer K&S who offers a 120°, 5K ohm resistor cap. Their part number is 10-4122. It looks to be available from Dennis Kirk, Dime City Cycles, etc so it should be commonly available. I'm continuing to look for other vendors such as Denso, Champion, Autolite etc and will report back with further updates as necessary.

Mike

So I ordered some new covers from Honda. I took my bike to work today, and it did great. Except on side streets where it would warm up to the middle temp line and it would start to stall. However, the worst part was the bucking when I would work my way through 1st gear. If I had this experience when I test drove it, I would not have purchased this bike. I hope the part fixes the issue. I have never had problems with a Honda bike before.

Frosty

Site Supporter
Bike
2020 Triumph 900GT
Sorry I did not look earlier. Would make a a package deal. New NGK caps (2) and Plugs (3).

1695161248598.png

Top Bottom