NT-700 Spark Plug Caps

mikesim

Site Supporter
Bike
NT700, Red, #989,
You guys got me worried, so I squirreled a set at Amazon... € 10,-/piece...
GF uses her NT700VA a lot in urban commute...
I wouldn't worry. It was the OE (non-NGK) caps that were problematic. I have yet to hear a complaint from anyone who has switched to NGK.

Mike

If it is giving me issues while I wait for the new parts to arrive. (Friday) will it hurt the bike if I ride it to work and back?

DirtFlier

Site Supporter
Bike
2010 Silver NT700V/ABS
As far as I know, the defective spark plug caps only act up on hot days at low speeds.

Just for ref, I kept riding my NT while awaiting the new (NGK) caps and even after I had them in hand, I was in no big rush to get them changed because my bike never exhibited that symptom.

Warren

Bike
2019 Yamaha XMAX
I might be wrong but I don’t think all of the OEM caps were defective. After seeing the service bulletin I bought the NGK caps but upon selling my NT 9 years later I never had to use them. They went with the NT to the new owner.

mikesim

Site Supporter
Bike
NT700, Red, #989,
I might be wrong but I don’t think all of the OEM caps were defective. After seeing the service bulletin I bought the NGK caps but upon selling my NT 9 years later I never had to use them. They went with the NT to the new owner.
You are correct Warren. The service bulletin applied only to NT's that did NOT have NGK branded caps.

Mike

I want to update you guys. The Spark plug cap fixed many issues. I still have an issue that when the temp gauge is 1/2 sometimes when I pull the clutch in, it totally dies. This bike is the only Honda I have ever had that has had these problems. Might ditch it.

mikesim

Site Supporter
Bike
NT700, Red, #989,
Sure sounds like a CKP sensor. I wouldn't ditch the bike just yet. Those who replaced the CKP sensor never had the problem again.

Mike

Bike
2020 Kawasaki Versys
Just a thought, not something simple like too low of idle speed or something like that?

Arknt

mikesim

Site Supporter
Bike
NT700, Red, #989,
Just a thought, not something simple like too low of idle speed or something like that?

Arknt
The target idle speed is determined by the ECU and is not adjustable.

Mike

DirtFlier

Site Supporter
Bike
2010 Silver NT700V/ABS
For all motorcycles with engines larger than 49 cc, idle speed hasn't been adjustable for several decades.

Bike
2020 Kawasaki Versys
My Kawasaki 650 Versys (2020) idle is still adjustable.
I was sensing Nonsmoke's frustration and was trying to think outside the box a bit.

Arknt

mikesim

Site Supporter
Bike
NT700, Red, #989,
I am surprised to learn that the Kaw has an adjustable idle. I suspect it is some sort of air bleed that the O2 sensor sees and adjusts injector pulse width accordingly. It couldn't still be carbureted, could it?

Mike

Bike
2020 Kawasaki Versys
The Versys Idle adjust is a minimum idle speed I believe. It is basically a throttle stop but the fuel injection also controls a subthrottle and cam that it uses for fast idle, etc.
I don't think anyone can make carbs work well enough to meet the emission regs for several years now.
I haven't had to do anything to it so I am no expert on it.

Arknt

Top Bottom