NT700 vs. R1150RT

OP
OP

teaspoon

I had a surprising January commute today on the Beemer. The morning temp was in the low 30s, but I was bundled and was comfortable.

As much as I yearn for the Honda wing on my bikes, I would look for a later R-RT to replace what I have. It's a comfy bike, handles great, and has more power than I'll ever use. In ten years on the old Nighthawk I never got pulled over. After two months on the BMW I got popped. The power of 1100 ccs and the protection of a fairing lets me drift into speeds that get me into trouble. I must be more aware of the speedo.

The BMW requires maintenance that the Honda never dreamed of. This is an older bike with 66k miles, and some things need replaced. The ABS is a PITA because it's overly sensitive to the battery voltage, but the bike does have ABS - something I like. It has great wind and rain protection. It vibrates - not as bad as the NT but worse than my four cylinder Nighthawk. AFTER the fairing is off, maintenance is simple. For the BMW, the throttle and choke cables are maintenance items. ***? And the throttle bodies have to be synchronized every time a tail light is replaced.

I wish that Honda could have made the NT with a smoother boxer (or four cylinders) and a little more upright posture, but that isn't an option. If Honda made money with an American NT, it would still be selling them here.

Phil Tarman

Site Supporter
Bike
2010 Silver NT700VA (ABS)
I can almost imagine putting up with the Versys 650’s chain but it’s seat height rules It out for me.

junglejim

Site Supporter
Bike
Tiger 800, NT sold
The Versys 650 LT is closer to the NT than the older V was, BUT it doesn't have near the wind/rain protection that the NT does. It is faster and handles much quicker. But it has lousier brakes. So it goes better, but stops worse. The ergos (for me) are very good. It is also lighter. It gets worse fuel mileage. I could put up with the chain drive to and the seat height isn't a problem, but the seat does slope down a bit. Most Versys owners who ride long distances use a wedge to correct the sloping saddle. It is about my 2nd or 3rd choice down from the NT.

Bike
19 Versys 1K SE, 14 FJR
If you are looking at a Versey, Then take a look at the Suzuki Vee Strom 650 second generation. Still chain drive but that to me is not a problem. I really liked my 2009 model that I just sold, but I like even more is my new to me 2014 model. Both of these machines are very very smooth, and very natural to ride. And better in the twisties than the NT700. About 80 pounds lighter than the NT. Throw some removable Givi panniers on the bike and GO Ride.

Last edited:
Bike
2011 NT, 01 Ultra, 04 VLX
I had a surprising January commute today on the Beemer. The morning temp was in the low 30s, but I was bundled and was comfortable.

As much as I yearn for the Honda wing on my bikes, I would look for a later R-RT to replace what I have. It's a comfy bike, handles great, and has more power than I'll ever use. In ten years on the old Nighthawk I never got pulled over. After two months on the BMW I got popped. The power of 1100 ccs and the protection of a fairing lets me drift into speeds that get me into trouble. I must be more aware of the speedo.

The BMW requires maintenance that the Honda never dreamed of. This is an older bike with 66k miles, and some things need replaced. The ABS is a PITA because it's overly sensitive to the battery voltage, but the bike does have ABS - something I like. It has great wind and rain protection. It vibrates - not as bad as the NT but worse than my four cylinder Nighthawk. AFTER the fairing is off, maintenance is simple. For the BMW, the throttle and choke cables are maintenance items. ***? And the throttle bodies have to be synchronized every time a tail light is replaced.

I wish that Honda could have made the NT with a smoother boxer (or four cylinders) and a little more upright posture, but that isn't an option. If Honda made money with an American NT, it would still be selling them here.

BUTT a 13 to 16 FJR will do everything the NMW R1200RT will do and if you go for a new unsold 14 or 15 you can just about get two of them for the price of one BMW and without all of the BMW maint headachs!

Eldon

OP
OP

teaspoon

I like the FJR; but do I really need a rocket on wheels? I like several of the lesser Yamahas as well. I am, however, a little leery of the difficulty Yamaha maintenance.

I have an irrational but strong brand loyalty, and that loyalty is to Honda. As much as I like the BMW, it ain't a Honda. As good as the Yamaha may be, it ain't a Honda. Can you see a pattern developing here? I would look for an R1150 RT or an oil-head R1200 RT, and still wish it were a Honda. Maybe if Honda could put a fairing and bags on a CBR650 I would pawn my beanie baby collection and have a new best-y.

Bike
1984 Moto Guzzi T5
I kept waiting for Honda to do a real ST bike based on the VFR 1200. Great engine, DCT and shaft drive. Instead of wasting all that money on the weird bikes, why not just make a plain jane successor to the ST?

mikesim

Site Supporter
Bike
NT700, Red, #989,
I kept waiting for Honda to do a real ST bike based on the VFR 1200. Great engine, DCT and shaft drive. Instead of wasting all that money on the weird bikes, why not just make a plain jane successor to the ST?
Why not, indeed? <sigh>

Mike

Bike
2010 Silver NT700 ABS
I've given up on waiting for Honda to update their ST offerings and I'll be trading in my NT soon.

Phil Tarman

Site Supporter
Bike
2010 Silver NT700VA (ABS)
I sure am Doug. Going with the 2016 platinum bronze.
That’s going to be a great ride, Greg! I love RTs – it is absolutely the perfect fit for me. I have never sat on anything that I would never need to do anything to improve the ergonomics except for the RT. If I just had a couple more tons of money.

Bike
2010 Silver NT700 ABS
I'm blessed to be in a financial position that allows me to buy the bike. A famous local businessman advertised his appliance store using the slogan "You don't need money just a little bit a month" which is the strategy I'm following. It'll be nice to get back out on the road this year as I've deferred maintenance and thus riding the NT in anticipation of the trade-in.

Bike
2008 Dusk Beige NT700V
Had some vibration on the NT, numb hands & aching wrists after 10 minutes of steady riding at 60mph.
Changed engine oil from 10w50 to 10w30 (As stated in the manual), nothing since then, 5 hours stragiht ride with only a fuel stop and no problem at all.

Top Bottom