NT700 vs. R1150RT

Bike
2011 NT, 01 Ultra, 04 VLX
Well if the FJR needs a Reverse so do all Harleys, and all of the clone cruiser bikes, as well as the BMW's ETC . Anyone that has been riding bikes since 88or 89when Honda brought out the first GL1500;s with reverse has dealt with learning to read a parking space that is on a downward slop, or off camber too much to park in, I will say the only thing I missed from the GL 1800 is the reverse. I did consider a new HD which one can do a reverse installation on. But in that regard I can do the same on my 01 ultra and put in a 96 C.U. Inch kit and basicly have a new one less the ABS that is now available from HD and was not a option in 01.

As for being bi or small I am definatly not big, nor super strong like a good percentage of you young guys are 68 inches in stocking feet, 190 lbs less riding gear with a true 30 inch inseam.

I paid full retail price of $11,199 and waited for three months for my 2011 because I wouldn't even consider a NON ABS, I took delivery of it in JAN of 13. By the time it was farkled with everything but electronic cruise I had about re invested.

I paid $13,000 out the door for my 2014 FJR ED plus title and lic fees that you pay on anything with a tirle,I did take the D-2 denalies,the Stebil air horn, the 50 litre Shad top box, and the highway pegs off of the NT, as well as the FUZE block. I added canyo cages a bright turn signal led indicator system, a Dash shelf, and a rear subframe stiffener , and a higher Yamaha touring windshield. I am in the FJR for about the same money as the NT, NUT with ESA, traction control better lights, better luggage and enough power to get out of most anythings way short of it being a ZO^ ETC. Wi;; I ever use all the power available? no , but If I should need it it is there. Same with the corvette, I will never use all of its capabilities, but it is a pleasant feeling to know if you need it all you have to do is put your foot down!

I don't regret the NT and the 50,000 on it's clock , but too many times I found myself needing more power and it was not there. In hind sight I paid too much for the NT, but I wanted it so I bought it. If I had wanted a R-1200 RT I would have bought it. IF I were real weight conscious and didn't mind going to downtown Seattle for dealer service I probably would buy the Super Lejarro Ducatie that weighs less than 400 lbs and is faster and quicker than the FJR, and uses the dreaded chain drive :smile: and is somewhat over $ 50,000.00. Of course theni would just have to have the slightly expensive Ducatie carbon fibre helmlet to go with it in matched pain for a price tag of $ 3500.00 dollars!

Warren

Bike
2019 Yamaha XMAX
At least these posts are in the "other motorcycles" area although they are on the BMW page.

Bike
2015 R3, 2009 DN-01
I keep wondering when the title to the forum will change to FJR-Owners.org...

If my responses have seemed testy, it is because this forum seems to heading the same way as BurgmanUSA did. There at least the bikes were all the same type as in "Burgmans". Often what happened, is the larger, more comfortable, more powerful...better in all ways 650 model...those owners...would let all the 400 owners know how superior the 650 bikes were. It is probably just my own opinion, but if I wanted to know constantly how superior the FJR was, I'd go read an FJR forum...not an NT forum.

I can appreciate anyone being in love with the bike they purchased. I'm still a moderator on a Burgman forum, even though I don't own one. I help out where I can because I literally have more experience on that bike than most people will ever have. I've answered questions the Burgman owners have about my NT...but I always keep in mind that forum is for Burgman owners and the last thing I want to leave those members with, is the feeling that they own an inferior product...even though I sold my Burgman and kept my NT because I felt the NT was better.

Chris

Could be just self-justification on the forum for going over to the FJR or whatever bike fits one's new needs. I traded in my Honda Magna for my NT, the sole reason for better motorcycle technology. The thing is that I no longer NEEDED a "fast" bike that lacked sufficient stopping power or "old" features. To tell you the truth, at times, I "feel" bad that I didn't buy one of these other machines that are "so great," instead of my NT, whenever I read about them on this forum.

Bike
1984 Moto Guzzi T5
You can argue all you want about value and whatever.

I still want a bike under 600lb 'loaded', ~500lb dry and bare or less. Needs to have as close to 100hp as I can get, 90 would be ok. I'd really like to be under 500lb loaded, but, that just isn't going to happen if I want to keep the shaft drive.

Nothing else will do it for me. The NT was as close as I could come with the then available bikes and I really thought it would be the bike for me. If it had the extra 20hp I'd probably still have mine. The Norge is a runner up. If they would 'disconnect' the control panel from the engine management computer I'd buy one. It is still a little heavy, but, closer than most others.

Until someone comes up with what I want I'll keep my Goose. My wallet thanks me too :)

FWIW, I agree the FJR is a smoking deal, if you want a heavier, high hp touring bike. I don't. I have to admit that I almost succombed to the 'little bit' syndrome. It's ok if it's a 'little bit' heavier and has a 'little bit' more hp and is a 'little bit' more expensive. Then I came to my senses :)

Bike
2013 Yamaha FJR1300
Point #1: There are already two, good, active FJR forums. I don't think we need a third. I am just happy that you NT folks haven't kicked me out of the pool. Plus I like the people here a little better.

Point #2: Although I like my FJR1300, if an FJR900 had been available, I would have bought it. I do not think it needs a reverse gear. I am always conscious of how to get into and out any place I choose to park. But then, I did he same with my much lighter GPz.

Bike
1984 Moto Guzzi T5
I think an FJR900, an NT900 or similar would be just the ticket. I still wish BMW had sorted the F800GT a bit better (and it wasn't so expensive). I really did love that engine and transmission.

Bike
19 Versys 1K SE, 14 FJR
Because the NT is no longer produced, I would like to see Honda replace it and my Wee with the CrossRunner. Hope Honda decides to import the CrossRunner to the US in a couple of years.

Bike
Charlie,

Have you taken time to do a search on Ducatie's, light weight good italian workmanship like your Goose, plenty of ponies and chain drive is the only negative other than dealers are a ways from you. Some of their prices are not that bad if you don't think super bike$$.I think they could be modified with more upright bars and a better wind screen and luggage as well:)

Eldon

Bike
Yes , but so are a number of other motorcycles in many brands and horse power dimensions, LOL my old 600 cc side valve 1950 BSA singlewas a Libyan PD side car machineand still had side car gearing on it, top end of maybe 60MPH on a good day with a down hil grade to help it along, but it would see 0 to 50 quiet rapidly:shrug2:

Bike
1984 Moto Guzzi T5
Yep looked at all brands. Fairings. The only ones worth anything are on the sport touring bikes, and many of them are minimal, like the NT.

Warren

Bike
2019 Yamaha XMAX
You can argue all you want about value and whatever.

I still want a bike under 600lb 'loaded', ~500lb dry and bare or less. Needs to have as close to 100hp as I can get, 90 would be ok. I'd really like to be under 500lb loaded, but, that just isn't going to happen if I want to keep the shaft drive.

Nothing else will do it for me. The NT was as close as I could come with the then available bikes and I really thought it would be the bike for me. If it had the extra 20hp I'd probably still have mine. The Norge is a runner up. If they would 'disconnect' the control panel from the engine management computer I'd buy one. It is still a little heavy, but, closer than most others.

Until someone comes up with what I want I'll keep my Goose. My wallet thanks me too :)

FWIW, I agree the FJR is a smoking deal, if you want a heavier, high hp touring bike. I don't. I have to admit that I almost succombed to the 'little bit' syndrome. It's ok if it's a 'little bit' heavier and has a 'little bit' more hp and is a 'little bit' more expensive. Then I came to my senses :)
Have you looked at the 2015 Versus 1000 LT? 123 hp, 549 lbs. Includes removable saddle bags etc Does have a chain.

Bike
2013 Yamaha FJR1300
I think an FJR900, an NT900 or similar would be just the ticket. I still wish BMW had sorted the F800GT a bit better (and it wasn't so expensive). I really did love that engine and transmission.
A non-BMW, sub-liter, shaft driven sports-tourer? I'd look pretty close and think really hard.

A Ducati? Based on an admittedly limited sample of Ducati riders that I have talked to, no.

A non-BMW, sub-liter, shaft driven sports-tourer? I'd look pretty close and think really hard.

A Ducati? Based on an admittedly limited sample of Ducati riders that I have talked to, no.
My local dealer dropped Ducati because of terrible warranty / spare parts issues and that created bad feelings between the owners..There is virtually no Ducati or Guzzi dealers and very few BMW anymore...so I am totally on board with the Sub liter shaft drive lightweight sport tourer theory..currently there is Nothing available...and as good as the new Maxi Scooters are..seems to me they are too cumbersome and heavy...I really rather not have one...

tawilke46

Charlie,

Have you taken time to do a search on Ducatie's, light weight good italian workmanship like your Goose, plenty of ponies and chain drive is the only negative other than dealers are a ways from you. Some of their prices are not that bad if you don't think super bike$$.I think they could be modified with more upright bars and a better wind screen and luggage as well.
Eldon
Eldon,
The local BMW dealer here in Baton Rouge is currently selling BMW's of course, Aprilia, Moto Guzzi, Piaggio, and Vespa scooters.
In talking to Jimmy Whitehead, who manages the dealership, he said he is dropping the scooter lineup because too little money to be made per sale, and they do not sell enough of them to be profitable. They are also, unfortunately dropping Moto Guzzi this year.
They are the only Guzzi dealer in the region. Sad. I really like Guzzi's. Especially the V7.

They will keep the Aprilia lineup for the time being.

Last edited:
Bike
Tim, I agree wlth you with the sad, I did test ride the new version of the Bergamn 650,I found it interesting, but not enough so to buy one. compared to NT it didn't tivkle my whistle at all. The one thing I did like about the Burgie was that it could turn a full 180 in much less space than the NT.

If I had the storage space for it a small displacement scooter might be interesting
to play with , but for small displacement touring I like my CRF 250 that has definite off - road capabilities, economy and is very nimble as well, and has good luggage capacity once a luggage rack is added.

Eldon

OP
OP

teaspoon

Gosh, what was the question? I've gone and bought myself a '97 R1100 RT, and so far I pretty happy with it. It does need a little work, but nothing that I can't handle.

It's the same challenge to man-handle as the NT and handles better at low speed. It does not vibrate like the NT except over 4000 RPM, and I think a tune-up may help that. The torque and gearing can comfortably keep you below 4k at legal speeds. The posture is more sit-up and I put almost no weight on my wrists. The windshield does a great job (probably too good in summer) shedding no turbulence even around trucks on the interstate. It handles beautifully in curves.

And it's blue. I like blue bikes.

Bike
Y Our R -1100 RT is probably a better choice that a 1150 would have been. worst thing on any of that vintage is the disassembly required to do the CLuch shft lubrication. If you have a good shop / garage so you can take your tiem doing it and have the service manual y ou will be OK. If you are unfortunate and lose the final drive , Good luck. I had a R850 , s 96 version little brother to the !!RT. a good bike but I never got to where I trusted it and after 10,000 miles it found a new home. But I kno it has added another 15 K to the clock since and has not failed seriously.

Top Bottom