Oil Filters-What fits and what don't....

Bike
Honda CBR 600F-2/NT700V
Just some more info I discovered on a few oil filters....

I bought a couple Mobil 1 oil filters from Pep Boys on line they was closing out for a great deal, I thought it be the same size can as the m108 2.58 inch ht but no its a 3 inch ht. and is to long for using the center stand, oh yes you can use a 3 to 3.25 inch long can I did for a few months I installed it with the bike on the side stand them said to myself that damn thing is to long and will not be able to get it up on the center stand so I just left it on there for the Fall and Winter months and just changed it out with a shorter Wix filter today in prep for my Texas trip next month.
Oil filter info on The Wix Oil Filters The one I'm using now is the 51358XP it is 2.78 height and that works with the center stand and is as long as you can go.
The Wix 51365XP is a 2.58 inch height filter also The SL 10000 Wix Filter is the 2.58 inch filter too.
You can get the standard Performance Wix Oil Filters same part number without the XP on the end of it, and they would be more that adequate to do there job, think they say there good for 7,500 mi.
The XP's are 12,000 miles or longer filter.
Pics of The Mobil M1MC-134 (Remember it's to long) and of The Wix 51358XP (As long as you can use)20200222_161129.jpg

Bear

Bike
2010 NT-700 V Red
I use the K&N Oil filters. They are the right size and have a wrench fitting on the end so that you don't need a filter wrench. I use K&N filters in my cars as well.

OP
OP
DarylCincy
Bike
Honda CBR 600F-2/NT700V
I use the K&N Oil filters. They are the right size and have a wrench fitting on the end so that you don't need a filter wrench. I use K&N filters in my cars as well.
My bike came with a K&N Oil Filter, same size as the Wix I'm using now, K&N is a good filter, the Mobil M108 I used before good filter, but I just can't see spending $14 for a filter on my budget.

Phil Tarman

Site Supporter
Bike
2010 Silver NT700VA (ABS)
I read somewhere about the wrench fitting coming off a K&N filter. Fortunately it was in a parking lot. I wonder if the guy had used the wrench to tighten it when he installed it. I can't imagine it coming off otherwise.

OP
OP
DarylCincy
Bike
Honda CBR 600F-2/NT700V
I read somewhere about the wrench fitting coming off a K&N filter. Fortunately it was in a parking lot. I wonder if the guy had used the wrench to tighten it when he installed it. I can't imagine it coming off otherwise.
I heard K&N had a bad batch of some with the nut part leaking?

mikesim

Site Supporter
Bike
NT700, Red, #989,
Just some more info I discovered on a few oil filters....

I bought a couple Mobil 1 oil filters from Pep Boys on line they was closing out for a great deal, I thought it be the same size can as the m108 2.58 inch ht but no its a 3 inch ht. and is to long for using the center stand, oh yes you can use a 3 to 3.25 inch long can I did for a few months I installed it with the bike on the side stand them said to myself that damn thing is to long and will not be able to get it up on the center stand so I just left it on there for the Fall and Winter months and just changed it out with a shorter Wix filter today in prep for my Texas trip next month.
Oil filter info on The Wix Oil Filters The one I'm using now is the 51358XP it is 2.78 height and that works with the center stand and is as long as you can go.
The Wix 51365XP is a 2.58 inch height filter also The SL 10000 Wix Filter is the 2.58 inch filter too.
You can get the standard Performance Wix Oil Filters same part number without the XP on the end of it, and they would be more that adequate to do there job, think they say there good for 7,500 mi.
The XP's are 12,000 miles or longer filter.
Pics of The Mobil M1MC-134 (Remember it's to long) and of The Wix 51358XP (As long as you can use)20200222_161129.jpg

Without going into my long convoluted Wix story which is somewhere here in the forum, the WIX WL10000 was designed by WIX specifically for Honda motorcycles to match the OE specs for anti-drainback valve, pressure relief valve, micron filtration and case pressure burst strength. This all came about several years ago when I alerted WIX that the filter that was the previous Honda replacement was too long for the NT and would be punctured by the center stand..

Mike

Bike
2010 NT700V
I really don't get the whole self induced oil filter conundrums. Every 8000 miles I swing by a Honda dealer and grab 15410-MFJ-D01 and some oil.

Or grab a two pack from Amazon for $20

OP
OP
DarylCincy
Bike
Honda CBR 600F-2/NT700V
Without going into my long convoluted Wix story which is somewhere here in the forum, the WIX WL10000 was designed by WIX specifically for Honda motorcycles to match the OE specs for anti-drainback valve, pressure relief valve, micron filtration and case pressure burst strength. This all came about several years ago when I alerted WIX that the filter that was the previous Honda replacement was too long for the NT and would be punctured by the center stand..

Mike
Mike I wound why The Wix WL 10000 now comes up as SL 10000 part number?

Bike
2020 Kawasaki Versys
The oil filter thing should not be difficult but:
1. Nothing stays the same for long including part numbers.
2. The cross references will lead you astray.

I have been fooled and ended up with too long filters in the past. It is easy to do.
Same with moly 60 lube that is no longer made. I asked the Honda service manager and one of their techs what they used for splines and they looked at me funny and never did really answer.
I get much better advice from you forum members.

Brad

Woodaddict

Site Supporter
2024 Mileage
Bike
Red NT700V & Spyder RTL
some things, I just buy OEM. I get them online from www.partzilla.com for a reduced price. I also buy other parts there too for maintenance issues

mikesim

Site Supporter
Bike
NT700, Red, #989,
Mike I wound why The Wix WL 10000 now comes up as SL 10000 part number?
SL10000 is Wix internal code. if you look at the box it is labeled WL10000. Wix is in the process of changing their numbering system. For many years, panel filters were labeled 24XXX, engine air filters were labeled 46XXX and 49XXX, fuel filters were labeled 33XXX and oil/hydraylic filters were labeled 51XXX and 57XXX, transmission filters were labeled 58XXX. One day it dawned on some bright bulb at WIX that they were running out of numbers so they redesigned their numbering system. Air filters began with the prefix WA, panel filters WP, fuel filters WF and oil filters WL and for each they reset the numeric counter to 10000. The WL/SL is however the same filter.

Mike

DirtFlier

Site Supporter
Bike
2010 Silver NT700V/ABS
Oh no, Daryl restarted the dreaded oil filter thread... :-(

NewToNT700V - I agree with you 100%. Why agonize over saving a few bucks?

Phil Tarman

Site Supporter
Bike
Speaking of... since I broke my left hand when I hit the deer on my way to Tombstone, I'm not dexterous enough to do my own mechanicking. So, I've got 3 or 4 OEM Honda oil filters I'll never use. Make me an offer and I'll send 'em to you.

OP
OP
DarylCincy
Bike
Honda CBR 600F-2/NT700V
Oh no, Daryl restarted the dreaded oil filter thread... :-(

NewToNT700V - I agree with you 100%. Why agonize over saving a few bucks?
The dreaded thread is what anybody makes of it, I was just trying to warn anyone who had a ideal of using a Mobil 1 Motorcycle spec oil filter listed for a Honda Not To Do IT! It's To Long, That's All! And a Option to a Honda Oil Fitler, Oh never mind......

Phil Tarman

Site Supporter
Bike
Welll, we could flip this to a dreaded oil thread -- or even the more-dreaded winter air thread. :cool:

Woodaddict

Site Supporter
2024 Mileage
Bike
Red NT700V & Spyder RTL
Speaking of... since I broke my left hand when I hit the deer on my way to Tombstone, I'm not dexterous enough to do my own mechanicking. So, I've got 3 or 4 OEM Honda oil filters I'll never use. Make me an offer and I'll send 'em to you.
I'll take them, if you can bring them to WV rally

Phil Tarman

Site Supporter
Bike
I'll try to fit 'em in. I'm going to be gone from home for bit longer than just the ride to WV and back. I'm going down to Barber's Museum after WV, and then taking a "shortcut" to Moorhead, MN, on my way home so I can catch up with an old college roommate.

Probably wouldn't hurt to remind me about them in early May...if you can remember to do that! :)

Bear

Bike
2010 NT-700 V Red
The reason I use K&N is because it enables me to safety wire the filter and the oil plug together (I drilled my oil plug for that purpose) Many tears ago I lost a Triumph 500cc Daytona because the mechanic did not tighten the oil drain plug. My Shelby and Ranger both have the oil drain plugs drilled for safety wire. I hope to never have an engine grenade like the Triumph did.

Bike
2020 Kawasaki Versys
I hope to never have an engine grenade like the Triumph did.

Safety wire might be worth considering. Besides the engine/transmission destruction just beneath you, oil pouring out in front of the rear tire is never a good idea.

Brad

OP
OP
DarylCincy
Bike
Honda CBR 600F-2/NT700V
The reason I use K&N is because it enables me to safety wire the filter and the oil plug together (I drilled my oil plug for that purpose) Many tears ago I lost a Triumph 500cc Daytona because the mechanic did not tighten the oil drain plug. My Shelby and Ranger both have the oil drain plugs drilled for safety wire. I hope to never have an engine grenade like the Triumph did.
That's a real good reason to use the K&N oil filter, I used to wire the oil filters when I road raced we put on a giant hose clamp around the filter and safety wired it to something solid.

Top Bottom