Oil Viscosity

Ron Hudson

Site Supporter
Bike
2010 Red NT700V..95PC800
Not to cause an Oil tread... generally, is 10W40 normal weight.., surprised to see 10W30 for NT as normal..
reference NT Owners Manual page 105.. Are most using the 10W40 ?
on my PC800 always used 10W40 and 20W50 is high temp periods..
10W30 seems thin for these engines.. Ron

Fieroguy

Site Supporter
Bike
2010 Silver NT700
When I went to the (somewhat) local Honda dealer last year to get my oil and filter, I was surprised to see they had given me 10W40. As you said, the manual states 10W30, so I was a bit miffed, but learned that the bike will accept 10W40, so I just went with it instead of going through the hassle of returning/exchanging. I suspect they were out of 10W30, thus the change. I did this years oil change a few days ago and was relieved to put the 10W30 back in the crankcase. The bottom line is that I trust the Honda engineers to determine the correct oil weight and my conscious is at ease even though the 10W40 is okay.

Phil Tarman

Site Supporter
Bike
2010 Silver NT700VA (ABS)
I used 10W30 (mostly Honda full synthetic) for 139,000 miles on my first NT (Dudley). When I traded that bike for my current NT (Horse), Dudley had not used any oil (except for a tiny amount that leaked out when my water pump needed replacing at about 125,000 miles. Looks like 10W30 works fine!

mikesim

Site Supporter
Bike
NT700, Red, #989,
Other than the Honda branded oil, 10-30 in JASO MA is somewhat hard to find. 10-40 works well as does Rotella in 15-40 or 5-40 flavors.

Mike

Bike
2010 Red NT700V
Prior to using the Rotella in the NT, I used Valvoline 4T 10w-40, it's a good alternative if you want to use a conventional, and it was easy to find. But, the Rotella works better.

Bike
'83 BMW R100RS & 3 XS650s
The key thing about oil for motorcycles with wet clutches (like virtually all bikes aside from BMW Airheads and certain Ducattis) is - NEVER use oil from a jug that has an API "Energy Conserving" or "Resource Conserving" label on it (see the photo below).

Oh, and contrary to many urban legends on oil threads......it doesn't matter AT ALL whether the oil is synthetic or "natural" - it is the "Resource Conserving" thingy of which you must beware.

BAD_Oil - NO-BIKES.JPG

While they will not hurt your engine or transmission at all, oils with that label contain a special friction reducing additive package which will make your wet clutch slip.

Bike
2010 Red NT700V
Correct, the energy conserving oils are for auto engines, where you have a separate transmission. By contrast, Rotella is not marked energy conserving, and carries the JASO MA rating, certifying it is wet clutch compatible for Japanese motorcycles.

Bike
2010 silver NT700
GN4 10/30 is around $15 a liter/quart in Canada. T-6 5/40 is $35 for 5 liters at Walmart. I don't understand Honda Canada's thinking when it comes to oil pricing. Needless to say, I use T-6.

ST1100Y

Site Supporter
Bike
ST1100Y, ST1100R, NT700
...it doesn't matter AT ALL whether the oil is synthetic or "natural"...
hmm... yes and no... 🤔
IIRC could performance issues arise if the friction plates are saturated with one type and you suddenly change to the other...
(BTDT once... clutch on my '92 ST1100 felt very odd... limped around the block and claimed, workshop crew checked and apologized for filling Castrol (🤮) by mistake, drained the sludge and refilled with my BelRay... clutch back to normal at the instant... :cool: )

mikesim

Site Supporter
Bike
NT700, Red, #989,
hmm... yes and no... 🤔
IIRC could performance issues arise if the friction plates are saturated with one type and you suddenly change to the other...
(BTDT once... clutch on my '92 ST1100 felt very odd... limped around the block and claimed, workshop crew checked and apologized for filling Castrol (🤮) by mistake, drained the sludge and refilled with my BelRay... clutch back to normal at the instant... :cool: )
I think what Pete was referring to was that as long as the oil was rated as JASO MA (or MA2) the clutch performance would not be negatively affected regardless of whether the oil was synthetic or conventional. If in your case the Castrol was automotive oil, that would account for the poor clutch performance. Castrol MA should have had no effect on the clutch. Castrol is good stuff.

Mike

DirtFlier

Site Supporter
Bike
2010 Silver NT700V/ABS
"....GN4 10/30 is around $15 a liter/quart in Canada....HondaFan"

I suspect that Honda Canada for whatever reason doesn't want to contract with a local oil refiner, as is done here in the states, so is getting their GN-4 from American Honda. It may be related to the high volumes of oil necessary to make a contract minimum level?

I ran into something similar when ordering accessories for my then-new 2010 NT700V. I was an American Honda employee at the time so got a discount on parts and was shocked to see the prices for the NT accessories, which were the same prices being charged normal customers by Honda UK.

In ref to my comment about NT's not being fussy about the type of oil in the crankcase, I should have added as long as it's not the "energy conserving" type of oil used in automobiles! I've been a longtime user of Shell Rotella 15w-40 dinosaur juice and found it also works fine in my NC700X with DCT. :cool:

Bike
2010 Red NT700V
Castrol 06400 Actevo Xtra 10W-30 4-Stroke Motorcycle Oil is a NON oil conserving motor oil suitable for motorcycles with a wet clutch. It comes in a 6 pack which does two NT oil changes.

Top Bottom