Oil Viscosity

mikesim

Site Supporter
Bike
NT700, Red, #989,
There's only 10.500miles on hut st. Could there be that ware.
Probably not wear. More than likely it's the new owner getting accustomed to his new beast. With just 10.5K on the clock you either have recently replaced the rear tire or will soon do so. The rubber dampers are in the rear hub and are easily inspected with the wheel off. My bike has 137+K miles and still has the original dampers. The clutch cable on the other hand is probably due for lubrication if it has never been done. The original Honda cables have an inner liner of teflon that seldom need lubrication. If you do choose to lube them, make sure you use a lubricant designed for cables. An incorrect lube will just gunk 'em up.

Mike

Thanks mike. They said they sevised it before i bought. Oil looked good and fillter new. I got all the mot documents as i bought from kh motorcycles uk. And a previous owners servise sheet at 7328 miles. They used silkolene comp 4 xp. But maby your rite mike. If im quicker up trought the gears its not as noticeable. Left that service sheet for a look. đź‘Ť16870753870301345545236238017998.jpg

mikesim

Site Supporter
Bike
NT700, Red, #989,
The Silkolene oil that was used was a motorcycle formulation that is rated for wet clutch bikes so you are good there. Unless the atmosphere in Eire is very dusty the air cleaner replacement was probably a bit premature. I usually change mine at 30K miles. The final drive was serviced with the proper lubricant. The spark plugs were replaced with the NGK Iridium plugs which offer a much longer life. You should easily get 30K miles out of them. Now, on to the valves. Honda recommends that the valves be checked/ adjusted at the first maintenance interval (7K) and every other maintenance interval thereafter. It has been my experience that the valve adjustment doesn't change that much over time. I would probably have them checked and adjusted if necessary on your next maintenance at 15K. Thereafter, I would inspect them every 30K miles. It's not hard to do yourself, just time consuming and fiddly. It is a fairly pricey procedure to have a shop do it, but it doesn't have to be done as often as Honda recommends.

Mike

I LIKE oil threads because they ALWAYS show the same thing. Use whatever oil you want and things will be fine.

Cliff

The Silkolene oil that was used was a motorcycle formulation that is rated for wet clutch bikes so you are good there. Unless the atmosphere in Eire is very dusty the air cleaner replacement was probably a bit premature. I usually change mine at 30K miles. The final drive was serviced with the proper lubricant. The spark plugs were replaced with the NGK Iridium plugs which offer a much longer life. You should easily get 30K miles out of them. Now, on to the valves. Honda recommends that the valves be checked/ adjusted at the first maintenance interval (7K) and every other maintenance interval thereafter. It has been my experience that the valve adjustment doesn't change that much over time. I would probably have them checked and adjusted if necessary on your next maintenance at 15K. Thereafter, I would inspect them every 30K miles. It's not hard to do yourself, just time consuming and fiddly. It is a fairly pricey procedure to have a shop do it, but it doesn't have to be done as often as Honda recommends.

Mike
Your a star mike thanks very much.

Phil Tarman

Site Supporter
Bike
2010 Silver NT700VA (ABS)
Just curious...Johnny's service record said that his dealer had done had checked his throttle sync. I didn't think there was any way to do that on the NT since both butterflies are mounted on the same shaft.

karl

Site Supporter
Bike
2010 Silver NT700VAA
Some folks refer to that as a wall job Phil. Park it against the wall, then charge the customer.

basketcase

Site Supporter
Bike
2010 Silver NT700V
Just curious...Johnny's service record said that his dealer had done had checked his throttle sync. I didn't think there was any way to do that on the NT since both butterflies are mounted on the same shaft.
A question about service records: does Mother Honda have a national service record on their motorcycles like Nissan does on their vehicles?

If yes, then perhaps I could go to the local dealership and obtain a bit of history on my new to me NT.

mikesim

Site Supporter
Bike
NT700, Red, #989,
You are correct, the throttle body butterflies are on the same shaft. If you will note on the receipt, it says customer instructions. This is what the customer requested and the service writer dutifully recorded it. Most service writers are not as technically savvy as the technicians and don't know that the throttles can't be synced. I don't see a separate charge for the sync so I don't think there was anything untoward about the service.

Mike

DirtFlier

Site Supporter
Bike
2010 Silver NT700V/ABS
If I'm not mistaken, the Honda parallel twins, 500, 700, and 1000, also use a common shaft for the throttle bodies. I sold my carb synch gauges to a friend who has carbureted bikes eons ago!

mikesim

Site Supporter
Bike
NT700, Red, #989,
If I'm not mistaken, the Honda parallel twins, 500, 700, and 1000, also use a common shaft for the throttle bodies. I sold my carb synch gauges to a friend who has carbureted bikes eons ago!
I bought a set of gauges way back when I bought my '69 CB750. I sold the bike (stupid move!) and kept the gauges which I used several times for friends bikes. It has been two moves ago and I went to look for them and I have no idea where they are. I suspect I loaned them to a friend and then forgot about it.

Mike

Randall-in-Mpls

New Deauville owner!
Bike
2010 NT700V, 1978 CX500
I've been running Rotella T6 in my old bikes, but have been unsure which way to go with the NT. It's good to see folks here using it successfully.

DirtFlier

Site Supporter
Bike
2010 Silver NT700V/ABS
"...Mother Honda have a national service record on their motorcycles like Nissan does on their vehicles?.."

Unless all the work was done in a Honda dealership which is rarely the case, there is no service history of that motorcycle. It's probably the same with Nissan vehicles that were serviced solely at Nissan dealerships.

mikesim

Site Supporter
Bike
NT700, Red, #989,
"...Mother Honda have a national service record on their motorcycles like Nissan does on their vehicles?.."

Unless all the work was done in a Honda dealership which is rarely the case, there is no service history of that motorcycle. It's probably the same with Nissan vehicles that were serviced solely at Nissan dealerships.
I know the dealership has a record of customer pay repairs, but does Honda (corporate) have customer pay records in their database? I thought they only kept track of warranty/recall/service contract repairs.

Mike

DirtFlier

Site Supporter
Bike
2010 Silver NT700V/ABS
You're probably correct in assuming that Honda only tracks warranty work, recalls, and perhaps service records when the customer has an extended warranty.

My guess is that consumers only used the dealership while the vehicle is still in warranty then quickly switch to an independent shop or perhaps do the work at home - neither of which enters data into the Honda system.

Top Bottom