OK confess...cup holder?

Phil Tarman

Site Supporter
Bike
2010 Silver NT700VA (ABS)
I don't have a cup holder, but I use a thermos cup with a handle when I'm riding with my larger tankbag, a Nelson-Rigg CL-135.

I'd just like a coffee thermos mug holder as I wait for the ferry to get back and forth over here, but the space on the bars seems very limited and I can't see where it would fit, BUT, if anyone does get one, please post it.

Terry

Phil Tarman

Site Supporter
Bike
Lori (et al),

I can save you the trouble. I was sure that the non-locking fairing pocket would be the ideal place for my other thermal coffee cup (the one without the handle). I couldn't believe I hadn't thought of it before.

So, before I left to go ride to Wyoming on the morning when it was 24F here, I popped the lid off, stuck my hot coffee in the pocket and hit the road. When I got 15-20 miles west and figured the coffee was cool enough to drink, I flipped up the modular helmet, and reached for my coffee.

Ooops! I could touch it, but unless I turned the handlebars 20-30 degrees one way or another, the coffee cup wouldn't clear them.

Bummer!

Phil Tarman

Site Supporter
Bike
One word of caution- I've seen people be able to ride and flip their modular helmet up at the same time, but I could never do it. At anything over 20mph it would catch the wind and want to rip my head off. Also their is that terrible few seconds when your fiddling with it and the mouthpiece is across your eyes and you cant see the road. Pucker factor!
I'm not saying it cant be done, but I was never capable of it- it may be something you keep in mind before you go drop a significant investment in a new helmet.
James,

The brand of modular helmet you have makes a huge difference. With the Nolan, the flip up part stays close to the curvature of the top of the helmet and you don't have that big old wind catcher like you did with the Fulmer. And the moment when you're blind is less than 1/2 a second. There's none of the yank the head off sensation I used to get with the HJC I had either. For me, the modular is worth it because I can leave my glasses on while I put on the helmet. There's no telling how many times they had blown off the tank bag onto the pavement while I was putting on my full-face Shoei. I'll never go back to a full-face just because of that.

I might try a Schuberth, though.

elizilla

The question is whether it fits. All the great features in the world don't matter, if the helmet doesn't fit the shape of your head.

Bike
1984 Moto Guzzi T5
I've known several people who are happy with Shark helmets. And that one looks like a modular I could live with. May even make me give up my Shoei FF.

I use a camelback for drinking while riding. I don't care for coffee but I need to have my caffeine and liquids while riding.

Phil Tarman

Site Supporter
Bike
I've gotten pretty creative with mounting farkles on recumbent bicycles so I'm sure I'll come up with something.
Lori, I've ridden a recumbent a few times, but my son has gotten hooked on them. He's got a recumbent bike and a recumbent trike (the TerraTrike). My fourth right knee (counting the OEM + the three replacements I've had) just doesn't bend far enough to ride a bicycle very comfortably.

If you figure out a good coffee cup farkel, let me know!

Phil Tarman

Site Supporter
Bike
I would like to try a Schuberth but how do you find one to try on for size?
Andy, on Schuberth's website, they've got a list of dealers who carry their helmets. There's one in Denver and I'll probably drop by and try one on.

Phil Tarman

Site Supporter
Bike
OK, Armando,

We realize you aren't admitting to anything. But just out of curiosity, which one did you get and where did you put the ball. I've thought a bit about screwing the ball into the mirror socket on the left hand side of the bike. Probably wouldn not get the one with the foam rubber cozy.

louis mangino

I do ,not on my NT but on my C 50 snoozer. Got it from Aerostich,great in the summer holds a bottle of water perfect.

Top Bottom