Olympic disappointment

Bike
2010 Red NT700
My Olympia Airglide 3 pants came today. Not going to be able to use them. The inseam for all waist sizes that will fit me is 35". Even with the EZ hem extra 6" at the bottom I would have to give up the velcro at the bottom to make them fit
What a bummer
Does any company make riding pants for fat guys? Im a 36/38 with 30" inseam

Phil Tarman

Site Supporter
Bike
2010 Silver NT700VA (ABS)
Clay, try Roadgear (www.roadgear.com). Good quality stuff by people who realize that heavy people can be short. Every size of pants they've got is available with a 30" inseam.

OP
OP
RedNigel
Bike
2010 Red NT700
I havent given up on the Olympias. I really want them. I am going to return the 36 and get a 38. If I can find the right tailor, they will work. The leg zipper stops 6" before the ground and the rest is velcro. Its called the EZ Hem system. 6" of pant below the end of the zipper that can be altered. After looking at all the models on the Olympia website, I can see that they look baggy on everyone. However, if the tailor cant do a hem that suits me, I may just go for some Icon Victory kevlar jeans

ken

Bike
2010 Red NT700
riding pants for fat guys
I'm a big guy with a short guy's legs, and I have pair of Tourmaster overpants http://www.tourmaster.com/product/Textile_Pants/Overpant/274/4 and a pair of Klim Baja pants (which are now at a much lower price than I paid). http://www.klim.com/en-us/shop/moto/pants/3183-200 They are a bit on the long side when standing, but are perfect for riding. Really nice well-made product. However since I bought my Teiz riding suit, I have worn nothing else when riding.

Ken

Last edited:

DirtFlier

Site Supporter
Bike
2010 Silver NT700V/ABS
Aerostich offers alterations on new riding pants but only up to a max of 3" off the standard length. I believe that each waist size has a different inseam length.

Bike
Bonneville T120
RedNigel

Find a tailor. I have the same riding pants. They're designed to have legs that are extremely long so they can be tailored to fit you, no matter how long your legs are. Like you I needed to have something like 5" removed from the bottom. Remember, you want them longer than pants you wear everyday.

Andy "the tailor" shortened them and even moved the velcro so that it works. They're great riding pants, don't give up on them.

OP
OP
RedNigel
Bike
2010 Red NT700
Andy "the tailor" shortened them and even moved the velcro so that it works. They're great riding pants, don't give up on them.
Was Andy able to salvage that velcro piece on the outside that you can cinch up the cuff with?
My main worry is cutting off so much there is no velcro on the inside to prevent the zipper starting to open
Can you briefly tell me what he did?

Rob

Bike
2010 Silver NT700V
Good to know their stuff requires tailoring. I'm in love with Olympia's X-Moto jacket and pants. But I've never actually seen them in person or tried them on. I need to find a dealer somewhere that stocks their stuff. So expensive though - that's what's holding me back. I like the Nomad jacket as well. I like the idea of huge mesh panels that can be opened and closed. Seems like it would be much more versatile for a wider range of climates whereas now I have two different jackets and two different pants (mesh and not mesh). I'd like to think this could replace both. Not that big a deal for day rides, but for long trips where temps can range a lot, who wants to pack two sets of gear?

Anyway - good luck with the Airglides!

OP
OP
RedNigel
Bike
2010 Red NT700
So expensive though - that's what's holding me back
I have the airglide jacket and even though its my first one, I can say with confidence it is well worth what you pay.
The quality of the materials is second to none and I can tell this jacket is going to last a very long time.
The pants are long on purpose and made to be easily altered

Phil Tarman

Site Supporter
Bike
Not that big a deal for day rides, but for long trips where temps can range a lot, who wants to pack two sets of gear?
Rob, that's why I have an Aerostitch Roadcrafter. :smile: With an electric jacket and a lot of water, it works for me from temps in the 30s to temps in the 100s.

Rob

Bike
2010 Silver NT700V
except it's a one piece. and it has the cost of an aerostich roadcrafter :) i know i know, it's an investment and you maintain them and they are kept a long time. it's just more than i am willing to pay and i will never wear a one-piece. just personal style preference.

elizilla

I like the long legs on the Olympia stuff, though they would be better if the knee armor was more adjustable. I had to do some modifications there. And I wish the zippers were longer.

It shouldn't be hard to put a piece of velcro at the end of the pantlegs even if you are cutting off all the existing velcro. Velcro is available everywhere.

slider

I tried to like Olympia stuff but it either felt cheap or overpriced. I didn't see any value in it. The Rev It stuff I got seemed twice as nice $ for $.

elizilla

I tried to like Olympia stuff but it either felt cheap or overpriced. I didn't see any value in it. The Rev It stuff I got seemed twice as nice $ for $.
It would be nice to be able to choose based on value, rather than picking from the 5% of gear that comes kinda sorta close to fitting.

OP
OP
RedNigel
Bike
2010 Red NT700
I'm sticking with the Olympia. Its too good not to wear. I'm going to go up a size and wear suspenders and have them hemmed.

Phil Tarman

Site Supporter
Bike
Katherine, tall short-waisted women and old fat men definitely have a "fit" problem. Your solution with the custom leathers looks better than my solution with the gusseted 'Stitch. :)

I enjoy the picture of our 1st NT Rally with all you guys sitting on the brick wall at Sleeping Bear dunes nearly every day. It's on my screensaver.

Top Bottom