One Piece Riding Suit

bravo20

Good Morning all,
I know this topic has been discussed in the past,but there's some updates from you all.
I'm looking for a all year round suit to keep Dry and relatively warm,able to wear heated vest if needed underneath.
The Aerostich are 4-5 weeks out and then another 4 weeks or so to tailor.
Other alternative I'm looking at is the Joe Rocket Survivor Suit,however read that it leaks around the crotch area.
I wear dress paints and shirt to work,and that's why I'm looking for a One Piece for easiness.I'm athletic build and realize i may not find the perfect suit.
Have always appreciated all your inputs.
I'm located Northern California if that helps on suggestions.
So with that said,anyone with ideas?:smile:
David

junglejim

Site Supporter
Bike
Tiger 800, NT sold
My experience is limited to the Aerostich Darian suit and the new R3 one piece. Both are great riding gear, but have diffrent features and disadvantages.

The one piece is really the way to go for a commuter with dress clothes. Much easier on and off and great protection from wind and rain. I haven't tried the abrasion protection features yet and work hard not to. The new collar arrangement is much better too.

The Darian two piece has more versatility and pockets. The wind protection is a little better than my R3, but the R3 classic has a lining for more protection so they are about the same. I can don and doff my one piece quicker than I can don and doff the Darian pants alone. Connecting the heated gear underneath is a bit easier with the Darian than the R3.

I got the R3 to replace the Darian which Aerostich told me they repaired for the last time. The inside lining was worn out. It was expensive, but worked very well and lasted 15 years and over 100,000 miles. I never got wet in it or broke a zipper. That Darian is still for sale and listed on another thread here.

When you are out in the elements on a motorcycle thousands of miles from home good gear is very important.

OP
OP

bravo20

Thank you for the great response. Looking to perhaps find that right Aerostich suit. Size and time is the challenge.

Agree coming from the UK good gear is very important.

Cheers David

Bike
2011 NT, 01 Ultra, 04 VLX
I definTLEY AGREE WITH jIM. fORGET THE REST AND BUY THE BEST!! aEROSTICH IS WORTHTHE WAIT, I Hve a two piece custom road crafrwe.I qNRWS onw piwxe, but my ahort torso wouldn't LLOW A GOOD FUTMENT SO I OPED FOR TH TWO PIECE AND I HAVE NO REGRETS. iT KEEPE ME WARN AND

DRY SD WELL WORKS WELL IN COMBINATION WITH HEATED LINERS.. if YUU ARE RIDING IN THUS WINTER RAIN GO TO A OUT DOOR WORKING MAN STORE AND SPEN MAYBE 50 DOLLARS ON A RUBBER JACKET AND PNTS TO GET BY UNTIL YOU GET YOUR STICH. oR YOU CAN SPEND 159.. FOR A TOP OF THE LINE BREATHABLE TAIN SUIT THAT WILL DO EAVEN BETTER UNTIL YOU GET YOUR STICH.i SERIOUSLY RECOMEND YOU WAIT FOR THE STICCH OVER rocket OR TEASE OR ANY OF THE OTHERS.tHE DARRION IS GOOD , BUT I PERFER THE ROADCRAFTER, I DO HAVE BOTH, THEY BOTH CAN BE VENTED AT THE COLLAR AND SLEEVES AND BE QUITE SAATISFACTORY EVEN INHOT WEATHER. fOR YOUR BAY AREA COMUTE I THINK YOU WILL BE HAPPIER WIITH THE ROAVRAFTER.i SAY THIS BASED ON HAVING SPENT A LOT OF TIME IN YOUR LOCAL AREA, THOUGH NOT LIVING THERE.

I HACV THIS ONE COMENT ON FIFFERANCES BETWEEN DARION AND ROAD CRAFTER, THAT IS THE POCKET ARRANGEMENT. THE DAEION HAS TWO LARGE POCKETS IN THE FRONT CHEST AREA AND ROADCRAFTER ONLY HAS ONE. THE OTHER DISLIKE I HAVE WITH ANY OF THE STICHES IS THAT THEY WILL NOT BUILD IN A HANDGUN SPECIFIC POCKET SO FOR THAT YOU MUST IMPROVIIIISE WHICH CAN BE DONE SATISFACTORILY. MY CHOICE FOR THAT ONE REASON IS lANGLITZ LEATHERS BUILT IN pORTLAND Oregon, ALSO A 6 WEEK - 3 MONTH WAITING PERIOD DEPENDING ON THIER WORKKLOAD. tHEY BUILD YOUR SUIT TO YOUR MEASUREMENTS IN ALL PLACES AND WHEN BROKE - IN FIT YOU LIKE ANY CUSTOM TAILORED SUIT OF DRESS CLOTHS AND WILL DO A GOOD JOB OF SHEDDING WATERtHEY WILL BUILD INNER PISTLE POCKETS , EVEN TOW OF THEM IF YOU ARE SO INCLINED. jUST BE AWARE THEY ARE A BIT MORE EXPENSIVE THAN aEROSTICH . ABOUT 2 1/2 TIMES AS MUCH, BUT WORTH EVERY PENNY AS THEY WILL LAST YOU A LIFETIME AS LONG AS YOU MAINTAIN YOUR SIZE THEY ARE BUILT FOR. THE jACKET CAN HAVE LACES IN DARTS ON THE SIDES TO ALLOW FO EXPANSION IN THE WAIST LINE.
I HAVE NO AFFILIATION WITH EITHER , I AMJUST A SATISFIED CUSTOME OF BOTH, BEEN WEARING lANGLITZ PRODUCTS SINCE 1960 , ns arich since 2006.

Eldon

OP
OP

bravo20

Thank you Eldon.

Sounds like Aerostich is the business

Cheers

Warren

Bike
2019 Yamaha XMAX
I am a all weather daily commuter. For years I wore two piece medium priced riding suits. I then bought a one piece Teiz riding suit. Its not waterproof without putting in a liner which is a pain to put in and it has a lack of pockets. I then bought an R3. It is a joy to put on and provides everything I need. Fortunately an off the shelf 38R fit me perfect and it only took a couple of days to arrive.

OP
OP

bravo20

Hi Warren,

I'm also a all weather rider,and my two piece is old and now leaks.Thats why I'm looking into a one piece,plus as I mentioned my dress code has changed.

Aerostich suggested a 40R and then letting out the top gussets and perhaps lengthening the legs.

I'm kind of a odd shape 5'7 WT 165,with 32W,42C and inseam 32".

I may just order the R3,and wait,to have modified. Just a little inconvenient.

Cheers David

Bike
Waarren,

I agree with you ., I a;so boutht theTeaz and was not satisfied with anything except the fit. It was spot on in thT REGARD, BUT OTHRWISE A pia. I AHOULD HAVE GOTTEN A STICH!!

I WISH I COULD ORDER OFF THE SHELF , PROBABLY I WOULD HAVE SEVERAL STICH VARIATIONS HANGING ARROUND! tHEY ARE THE BEST THING AVAILIBLE FOR LESS THAN $2,000.00.

ELDON

Bike
dAVIF,

iT IS TOO BSF YOU FIFN'Y GET TO STTRNF YHR

STICH SPONSERD FITTING SHOW HELD IN dANFRANCISCO , THAT WAS WHERE I WENT TO GET THE SIZING CORRECT . I TRIED ORDERING AND WHAT THEY SENT ME AT THIER RECOMENDATION WAS NOT ASTISFACTORY AT ALL.

I WOULD SUGGEST TO BE SURE IT WILL BE RIGHT I WOULD SPEND A FEW DOLLARS ON A PLANE TICKET TO Duluth AND GET FITTED! tHAT WILL SAVE HEARTBUTN! iT IS ABOUT 12-15 MILES FROM THE AIRPORT TO THIER LOCATION. jIM MAY CHIME IN AND CORRECT MY MILAGE FIGURES AS iT WAS 1964 WHEN I LEFT DULUTH AND WAS DRIVING THE SIMILAR DISTANCE TO WORK AT THE AIRBASEE AJACENT TO THE AIRPORT.

ELDON

Phil Tarman

Site Supporter
Bike
2010 Silver NT700VA (ABS)
I've had two one-piece Roadcrafters. I am not the standard fit 'Stitch guy and the first one I got needed major alterations. Now I'm just too darned fat and barely fit my 2nd one.

I'm 275#, 5'8" w/ 28" inseam. I got the 52 Short, added the full-length gusset, the ellipse, and shortened the arms and legs two inches above and below the knees and elbows. If I lose 15-20#, it'll be comfortable again. I rode with it Friday and it's "snug" with the electric jacket.

My self-imposed fit issues aside, the 'Stitch is great. Some people have complained about leaky crotches, but I've worn a 'Stitch since about 2003 and ridden 200,000+ miles in all kinds of weather and have never gotten wet, even in day-long downpours. I've been cold at 20F and think the First Gear Kilimanjaro is warmer at temps like that, but with thermal underwear the difference is negligible. I've ridden at 113F and with the LD Comfort underwear and all the vents on the 'Stitch closed except for the cuffs, and some water poured on my chest and up the sleeves, I've been cool.

I crashed once on my first '99 Concours. I flipped the bike end over end after going wide in a curve at night. My 2-week-old Nolan helmet was totaled and I had a slight concussion and some bruised ribs and a heck of a bruise on my butt. But not any scrapes or cuts. The 'Stitch had some torn stitches on the right shoulder ballistic and the EMT cut the main zipper in spite of the fact that I was hollering at him to zip the bottom zipper pull up to my neck. I think it cost me $125 to fix the 'Stitch. When I bought the NT in '2010, I bought a second one and sold the first one to another fat guy on the COG Forum. He was still wearing it a couple of years ago.

It's expensive and there's a bit of a wait, but the 'Stitch is the best thing there is, IMNSHO.

Bike
'10 NT 84 BMW R100RT Ural
I found that if you ever had to use a rest room quickly on the road a one piece is not the best idea. I have in the past found that some restaurants use a cooking grease that can cause me to need to use a rest room rather quickly. I like 3/4 jackets and bibs for this reason.

junglejim

Site Supporter
Bike
Tiger 800, NT sold
I found that if you ever had to use a rest room quickly on the road a one piece is not the best idea.
Sorry Tom, but I disagree. I can drop my R3 as quickly as anything. But I'm not going out looking for greasy food to test the system.

Last August, when I ordered my R3 they told me 4 weeks. I had it in 3 weeks.

Bike
'10 NT 84 BMW R100RT Ural
I like to keep my sleeves off the floor. I know might just me. When I worked construction one piece carharts and a port-a-john made me dislike one piece. I'm slow at lots of things.

Phil Tarman

Site Supporter
Bike
I like to keep my sleeves off the floor. I know might just me. When I worked construction one piece carharts and a port-a-john made me dislike one piece. I'm slow at lots of things.
It took me a while, but I finally learned how to keep the sleeves off the floor without too much difficulty. Practice makes perfect. 

Phil Tarman

Site Supporter
Bike
It took me a while, but I finally learned how to keep the sleeves off the floor without too much difficulty. Practice makes perfect. :rolleyes:

Bike
1984 Moto Guzzi T5
The stich is the only one piece I would own. The key is one full length zipper. Had that on my old snowmobile suit and it makes a world of difference.

FWIW, when you need to sit, remove it. Easy to do.

But, I don't own a one piece anymore and not likely I ever will. Just don't need it.

karl

Site Supporter
Bike
2010 Silver NT700VAA
I had wanted to buy an Aerostich but needed to spend cash on other than just myself and still wanted crash and weather protection. A onesie will give you the best sliding down the road protection. I am still happy with my choice: http://www.nt-owners.org/forums/showthread.php?889-Olympia-Phantom-one-pice-suit-with-thermal-liner I don't wear business attire at work. There is a place where I can change from riding gear into suitable clothing and footwear but most of the time I just wear the overalls and boots I work in along with a motorcycle coat/jacket and gloves.

I don't use it every day but the suit is still in great shape and still keeps the water out and lets the air thru when you want it. I could see wearing this over a suit. I use mine most when I just want to spend some time on the bike and the weather is Iffy. I would still recommend one. They have made changes that I can't speak to since I bought mine. Still happy with what I have.

Bike
It took me a while, but I finally learned how to keep the sleeves off the floor without too much difficulty. Practice makes perfect. :rolleyes:
I have a good friend in Ill who I share a rom with at various events . He ha a one piece stich and iyh was watchinn him suit up , and u nsuit that made me want to get one. he was into or out of his even with boots on about as quick as you could blink you eye. He kept his zippers well lubed and showed that he spent a good deal of time practicing the procedure

old short torso Eldon just don't
fit in a one piece stich and they won't change one too fit me; thus I have my two piece which I like, I do wear the bib piece with it after having had a demo on how well it worked, thanks to conversation at Levenworth Wa with Dee & Pete. I ordered one immediately from stich and have used it with satisfaction since.

Eldon

Top Bottom