Ooouuuccchhh! My tailbone is killing my ride!

Bike
1984 Moto Guzzi T5
I was fine with the stock seat. I could ride several hundred miles without a problem. After the 5000mi point something changed. Would start to hurt after only an hour at a time. I didn't change anything else.

So, I bought the Russel. Almost "broken in" and it works great. Couple of 'hard' places but they seem to be getting less and less.

Nomad

Without knowing your size, weight, riding position, and riding experience it's hard to provide meaningful advice. But, given you experience pain at less than 10 miles, I doubt the seat is the primary problem. I'd suggest you first focus on your riding position -- Google "Master Yoda position." Often back problems are caused by shortened, or weak psoas muscles. Upon the advice of my chiropractor, I learned some stretches and a few Yoga positions that allowed me to ride from Georgia to Alaska and back, with many 700-950 mile, back-to-back days, without experiencing back problems. I've used beads, Alaskan sheepskin pad, an Air Hawk pad, and after market seats -- all made riding more comfortable, but I'm convince the riding position is where you want to start.

You might try an Airhawk seat cushion. Not cheap but very soft. Saw them at Galveston. Lots of sizes.

Bear

Bike
2010 NT-700 V Red
I went with the Sargent seat because it was lower and had some body to it. I am used to riding for hours on bicycles, so you can imagine how uncomfortable the OEM seat was for me. It was like sitting on a sponge.

Frequently riders carry their wallet in a back pocket---not good. It puts your spine out of line. You should try the bicycle shorts---you wear them as underwear not with underwear. Bike shorts are cheapest at Dick's Sporting Goods---a national chain.

OP
OP

hubba730

Been some time since this post. Thanks for the replies. Butt still hurts. Gonna get risers and Corbin soon. Wife just lost job so might be waiting longer. Unfortunately I have a circle tour around Lake Superior this summer and cant see how I'll be able to do it without seat. Hope she gets job soon...As far as size goes, I'm "pleasantly plump", 6'1", 265lb. Long arms, 32" inseam. I flat foot the bike so peg extensions are in the plans too if honey gets job.

Bike
2011 NT, 01 Ultra, 04 VLX
Personally I wouldn't waste my money on a corbin, Russell is well worth the extra $$$ I have ridden a corbin once on a Concours, NO THANKS, once was enough, Russell, , or riches in Kingston WA, or Don Webber in Albany Oregon, or Rocky Mayer at Bill Mayer Saddles in Southern CA. arem all better than corbin, and not that much more , with your weight I believe the Russell is what I would do in my humble oppinion.

Bike
19 Versys 1K SE, 14 FJR
Personally I wouldn't waste my money on a corbin, Russell is well worth the extra $$$ I have ridden a corbin once on a Concours, NO THANKS, once was enough, Russell, , or riches in Kingston WA, or Don Webber in Albany Oregon, or Rocky Mayer at Bill Mayer Saddles in Southern CA. arem all better than corbin, and not that much more , with your weight I believe the Russell is what I would do in my humble oppinion.
Don't for get Rick Mayer. I have Rick's seats on three of my four bikes and am planning on one for my ST700
http://www.rickmayercycle.com/

Madmax

I have always used aftermarkrt seats. The Russells are the best. I have a Diamond seat on my Harley and a Russell on my BMW. I've noticed thet Cee Bailey will do a seat for a NT. Has anyone tried one. The stock seat on my NT is the best stock seat I've ever had, but is not going to work for 800 to 1000 mile days.

Bear

Bike
2010 NT-700 V Red
I guess that OEM Seats are a compromise of sorts--as are IMHO bicycle seats. None of my six bicycles have stock seats. My last three motorcycles had custom seats. The Norton had a Bates, The Ninja had a Corbin, and my NT has a Sargent. I like the Sargent.

The OEM seat had a range of about 500 mi. even with bicycle shorts (which I wear on anything over 100mi) I think that the Sargent would easily do a "Saddlesore 1000". I'll try that this spring.

Bike
1984 Moto Guzzi T5
If you are on a budget look around your area for an upholstery shop that will do motorcycle seats. Ask at some of the generic bike shops for a recommended shop. You might be able to get away with just replacing the foam and a bit of shaping. If you need more than that the upholstery shop could sew you a new cover.

But, the Russell is the king of long range saddles with their seat pan mod. I love mine and won't have any other seat on a touring bike.

My Guzzi has a custom seat by Rich Maund. It is a combination of sport and touring.

Bike
2010 Silver NT700VA
I had problems with pain in my tail bone when I was riding a KLR650. I determined the cause was the foam in the saddle being much to soft and deep. When you sit on it, it compresses under your butt and applies preasure to areas that were not designed to sit on for long periods.

My solution, until I upgraded my seat foam, was to put on an ATV seat cover I purchased at WalMart. It helped, but was not sufficient. So I cut a peace of foam from one of those floor mats they sell for exercise mats. The kind that come in two foot squares that lock together. I cut a piece that fit between the seat pad and the saddle. Between the stiff foam and the seat pad, it was firm enough that I did not have pain in my tail bone. It did add about an inch or two of hight to the seat, but I am tall.

Later, when I upgraded the foam in my saddle, I was able to do away with the pad and insert.

While I am thinking about it Spencer Seat Modifications are well known for helping with seat problems. A lot of people on the ST site were well pleased. The main thing he does is change the foam as it were with other materials. The cost is very reasonable.

DirtFlier

Site Supporter
Bike
2010 Silver NT700V/ABS
I recently had my seat done by Spencer and am very happy with the results. He said "put 3 tanks of gas through the bike" before you judge the new foam, but it was comfy for me from the first mile. His rule is to turnaround your seat (once received) within 24-48 hours. Although I wasn't in a hurry and told him so, I got it back 2-3 days after he received it.

I'm a repeat customer as he also did my PC800 that had a Sargent seat almost from new but I had Spencer redo it at around 60k miles (on the seat). The end result was much better than the Sargent seat even when it was new!

Bike
Silver NT700V
Spencer is at www.greatdaytoride.com. I had his mod on my old bike and liked it a lot. The seat will come back looking stock. He does not sew covers. That is why the price and time are so good. $75 for the LD mod last time I looked.

bonifier

I had my seat done by Spencer just a couple of months ago which the turn a round time was one week. Price was $100.00 and mailing it there cost me about 60.00 dollars with packing. When he returned the seat he used a UPS and saved me almost 20.00 dollars mailing it back. The seat I had lowered and have not really have used it yet but have sat on the bike and I can tell the difference in the seat. It is more firm and lowered as I requested.

Last edited by a moderator:

Madmax

Ok everyone, I'm going to offer some information I learned a few years ago. The reason your tailbone hurts is because your sitting on it. Russell, Diamond and some others add more foam right where your thighs go. This evens out the pressure you are putting on the seat. Try putting something soft and about 1 1/2" thick accross the front section of your seat where your thighs go. Go for a ride and you'll see what I'm talking about. You may need to adjust the pad forward or back till you get it right. I ride over 25,000 miles a year, and I refuse to be uncomfortable.

Top Bottom