Overpants recommendations

maxweljames

SWMBO is in need of overpants. She loves her Tour Master Jacket. I was thinking of just keeping with TM but after compairing prices with Fieldsheer I'm not sure. Fieldsheer is half the price of TM.

They need to be easy on and off, fit comfortably over slacks or jeans, knee/hip/etc protection not required and will get removed if it has it. A warm liner is fine as long as it's removable for mid-temps, I'm guessing just having the wind block will be enough to keep her warm.

Opinions, recommendations. I like her jacket so much I'll be upgrading my leather to a matching TM, plus I might as well get some pants to replace my old chaps.

slowtrot

I have pair of First Gear mesh pants which have zip in water proof liners. I use them all seasons. In summer over shorts or jeans without the liner and in winter with the liner and long johns. They are well made and have worn like iron. They are comfortable. I did a get off with them and they worked and still look ok. Because I like them, and they fit me well, they are probably discontinued or will be when I want to replace them.

OP
OP

maxweljames

Why doesn't she want armor?
It's not that she doesn't want it, it's just that typically clothing becomes more comfortable without the armor installed. When she got her jacket she tried it on, took it off, removed elbow and shoulder pads and put it back on with a big smile. The back pad was left in because it doesn't reduce the comfort level of the jacket. So my guess is that when she gets pants she'll be removing the knee pads at a minimum. Plus clothing without padding stores easier when it gets warm enough to take off those pesky layers.

elizilla

I have become extremely picky about the armor for exactly those reasons. Armor doesn't have to be too far from perfectly shaped and fitted, to feel awful. But I still want to have it. I am currently wearing a pair of Olympia overpants. They make me look fat, but the armor is well shaped and placed, so it's comfortable, and I don't have to look at me, so it works for me. :)

Warren

Bike
2019 Yamaha XMAX
I have pair of First Gear mesh pants which have zip in water proof liners. I use them all seasons. In summer over shorts or jeans without the liner and in winter with the liner and long johns. They are well made and have worn like iron. They are comfortable. I did a get off with them and they worked and still look ok. Because I like them, and they fit me well, they are probably discontinued or will be when I want to replace them.
I also have the First Gear overpants with mesh and without mesh. Both have liners and are very well made but on the expensive side. I do find them a bit bulky since you are wearing two pair of pants and if you throw in the liner its more like three pair of pants. I also have a pair of Slider jeans that I wear a lot. If your wife does not like armor why not get her a pair of Slider or Draggin jeans ?

OP
OP

maxweljames

The First Gear did seem to be on the high end for pricing. Not too worried about looks or how it makes her look(fat), other than she would prefer them in black. Olympia does have a couple options, might look that direction. Thanks for the comments so far.

Still looking for opinions on the Fieldsheer since they are so much cheaper.

JQL

Growing old disgracefully
Bike
2010 NT700 & 2019 FJR1300
FYI Some things don't, erm, travel well...

This arises from the differences between the vocabulary, grammar and spelling norms adopted by the English speaking countries around the world.

Overpants, in English (i.e. not American), are the plastic waterproof panties worn by babies over their Terry Nappies (Diaper). :eek1:

So this thread has given me some visions I'd rather not see again!:rofl1:

Oh, for those of you thinking of visiting the UK, if you go into a UK department store and say to the female shop assistant "I'd like to see your pants". You'll either get arrested, smacked in the face and/or thrown out of the shop. Please ask for Trousers instead:D

RedLdr1

Site Supporter
As an alternative to overpants I wear Kevlar lined "Draggin Jeans" and have been quite happy with them. They do carry woman's sizes.

As far as Fieldsheer my mesh jacket is holding up very well, I think they are about the same quality as my FirstGear jackets.

Bear

Bike
2010 NT-700 V Red
I like the riding pants by ICON. They are comfortable and offer reasonable abrasion resistance.

karl

Site Supporter
Bike
2010 Silver NT700VAA
I find mesh pants to be cool as shorts with protection. Over jeans when it is cooler works to stay warmer. There are lots of ways to achieve the same goal. Being comfortable is great but without protection (no armor) is it worth it? I find the armor to be clunky at the tavern at lunch but it disappears on the bike. All of my gear allows you to adjust it with velcro or something to get it in the right place.

Bike
Silver NT700V
Here is south Texas, where the humidity and temps match in the 90's, jeans don't work well in summer (at least for me). When it gets hot I change to some North Face camping pants (trousers). they breath well and are not cotton.

My riding pants are Olympia AST. They are mesh. With the liner they are dry in the rain and warm in the cold.

Keep the shiny side up,

Chuck

OP
OP

maxweljames

Great opinions everybody. Chuck, Savannah weather pretty much matches Houston so I know what you mean about the humidity and temp sucking. I'm going to keep my eye on a couple of the Fieldsheer pairs so if there is a close out sale I can snatch them up. As long as it's wind/water proof while still breathing, slips on easy and packs into the trunk we're golden.

From the looks of the extended forecast we may be getting out of the cold and overpants(trousers for the UK folks) are not needed. The ride home this afternoon was warm enough to get out of the work slacks and throw on the shorts. Hmm, going to need the wider pans to pack the sandals for the really hot days.

Igo

SWMBO is in need of overpants. She loves her Tour Master Jacket. I was thinking of just keeping with TM but after compairing prices with Fieldsheer I'm not sure. Fieldsheer is half the price of TM.

They need to be easy on and off, fit comfortably over slacks or jeans, knee/hip/etc protection not required and will get removed if it has it. A warm liner is fine as long as it's removable for mid-temps, I'm guessing just having the wind block will be enough to keep her warm.

Opinions, recommendations. I like her jacket so much I'll be upgrading my leather to a matching TM, plus I might as well get some pants to replace my old chaps.
I couldn't imagine a recommendation without armor. Why?

Phil Tarman

Site Supporter
Bike
2010 Silver NT700VA (ABS)
In the heat of summer, I wear a pair of REI's nylon zip-off-leg pants (with the legs off when it's hot) and a t-shirt. All this, of course, under the 'Stitch. Then when I get there, I can slip out of the 'Stitch -- in under 10 seconds -- and make a lovely fashion statement as I wander around in shorts, t-shirt, and motorcycle boots. This summer, I may try riding in the long LDComfort underwear and the nylon zip-off leg shorts.

Then I'll make an even more pronouced fashion statement. I'll look like an old, fat, crippled ballet dancer in motorcycle boots and shorts.

OP
OP

maxweljames

I couldn't imagine a recommendation without armor. Why?
I am one of the few, the proud, NON-proponents of ATGATT, as is my wife. Actually she is flat out against it. The overpants are simply to increase comfort on those chilly mornings. So by afternoon when it's warmed up here in GA we'll be gear free and it's all stowed in the trunk.

Then I'll make an even more pronouced fashion statement. I'll look like an old, fat, crippled ballet dancer in motorcycle boots and shorts.
I think you can skip the long underwear and go for some nice tall socks that reach to your knee. Preferably an opposing color to your shorts and boots.

Phil Tarman

Site Supporter
Bike
2010 Silver NT700VA (ABS)
I think you can skip the long underwear and go for some nice tall socks that reach to your knee. Preferably an opposing color to your shorts and boots

What color could possibly clash with slate grey shorts and black boots?

Top Bottom