Packed for maximalist camping

Mellow

Admin
2024 Mileage
Bike
21 R1250RT
How do you locate a campground if you are winging it?
I say I just show up... but the campground is on my start/stop list...

I decide where I want to go, then I decide how many miles I want to do in a day.. some days it's 800 on the highway just to get out of DFW and 'somewhere'.. and once there, the mileage may just be 400+ a day or less.

I then look for state parks in that range and pick one, go to their site to see hours in case there's a gate and to see how many sites they have or any closures. I then repeat that for each leg of my trip. I typically follow that plan and load it into the gps... rarely do I stray from that route but if I do, I just do a search on the gps for state/nat'l parks. In some states, you'll see a State Park sign almost every 50 miles but in some it's not that easy. I don't typically travel on holidays so it's rare I show up at a full campground.

Bike
2010 Red NT700
A few weeks ago, me and Joy had to drive to a funeral in Plainview, TX.
Hwy 70 between Vernon and Floydada is a lonesome, 2 lane affair with a 75 mph speed limit and the towns are few and far between.
On the way home, I was watching the trip computer and figuring how far to go before I refueled the car. Upon arriving in the little burg I had picked for fuel, we discovered that of the two gas stations in town, one was out of business and the other was out of fuel!
After asking around, we were pointed to the local oil company in town, and they had old school pumps out front with an old man that pumped the gas for you. When he was done, he would send you inside with a gallon amt. Another guy sitting behind a desk would cipher that on his calculator and tell you how much, then you could pay.
I kind of miss living in the country

I guess what I am trying to say is give yourself some wiggle room when planning fuel stops...you never really know if there actually IS fuel where you're going!

Bike
2010 Silver NT700
I spent a ton of money buying camping gear for my Spearfish trip last year and slept a total of 3 nights in the tent since I bought it
1 night shakedown
2 nights Spearfish
Big time buyer's remorse

I know you have to work around the CPAP thing, and that some camping gear can get expensive. However, if you bought good stuff, and I think you did, you can get a lot of use out of it. You might have buyers remorse now, but will the amount of money spent matter in five years? If you keep it long enough you will eventually use it enough to get your money out of it. If in a couple years you still regret buying it, you could always list it on craigslist and recoup some of your moeny.

My perspective might be different though. I think I have 4 tents at home, three sleeping bags, and two different cooking systems. I haven't been able to camp as much as I wanted to, but love it when I can. Part of why I have more equipment is that when my nephew was younger we would go on weekend camping trips in the car.

Bike
2010 Red NT700
if you bought good stuff, and I think you did, you can get a lot of use out of it.
I have the
REI halfdome 4 and foot print
All stakes upgraded to the really good ones
30' Big Agnes bag
Exped mattress
exped pillow
Good low REI chair with arms that I can use inside the tent
really good waterproof compression sack
Huge waterproof duffel
Good lantern
other small items

Easily $500 plus and most of it was on sale or even clearance priced.
I don't need more stuff

I have pretty much the basics and none of it really cheapo stuff, and I know I will use it more.

Bike
2010 Silver NT700
That is nice list camping equipment list. Love my exped air mattress. Hopefully you can use it more in the future.

OP
OP
Ripshod
Being this is the "maximalist" camping thread, a small thing like electricity shouldn't stop you. For less than the cost of some motel rooms, you can bring your electricity with you. http://www.harborfreight.com/900-peak800-running-watts-2-hp-63cc-gas-generator-60338.html

Looks like you can get three of them for that price till the end of March. One for you. One for Phil and one for Mellow. :campfire1:

You can also get double use out of it when you use it to adjust your Sleep Number bed.

Chris
No, No, No, NO! No generators, please!

A big part of camping is the nice people you meet. You can make enemies where you live, there's no need to travel long distances just to make everyone within earshot think you're a big butthead.

That's about as profane as I can get here.

OP
OP
Ripshod
This thread is really taking off. I'll have to set aside some time later to catch up. But in the meantime, note to RedNigel:

If you have a smartphone or tablet with data, download Allstays Camp and Tent. It's a great app that locates you and displays a map with a stickpin at every campground around you, both private and otherwise. I have used that to find out-of-the-way spots that I would never have found otherwise. It's a great resource. It displays the number of tent sites, phone numbers and usually, fees.

Last edited:

Rob

Bike
2010 Silver NT700V
I agree that searching for campsites can be annoying. I tend to prefer state parks myself, because they tend to have less "fanfare." I camp somewhat maximalist, but I prefer minimalist campgrounds. Odd now that I think about it. I prefer less people, less RV's, less families - I like peace and quiet which you cannot get at some campgrounds.

One thing you can do is just go to google maps and type in "campgrounds near xxx" where xxx is the town you plan to end up in for the evening. That will pop up things in the area and you can research each one from there, as websites are usually given. This is what I usually do.

Unlike Joe though, I do make reservations. Twice I've been late getting to my final town for the evening and nothing was available so I had to go out riding around hoping to find something after already being tired from riding all day. I don't like that as much.

Rob

Bike
2010 Silver NT700V
I keep trying to convince myself to try tent camping but I just can't get past the buy in and even more so the memories of sleeping on the ground in the Army...:ghost1: I wasn't comfortable sleeping on the ground then, even with a "rubber ducky" air mattress, and with the addition of a few years, and a few pounds :rolleyes1:, and a bad knee I don't think I will be now...
Wayne if you come to the TN rally I'd love to let you test out my sleeping setup just so you can see what is achievable in comfort. I'm a big guy myself, at 6'2", 260lbs. A nice thermarest or exped by itself is not enough for me. However, a thermarest or exped on top of a nice camping cot is fantastic. My camp bed is more comfortable than almost any cheap motel room bed that is long since "blown out" and has plywood under the mattress.

Sleeping comfort, and coffee are the two things I will never compromise when camping. :p

None of this might make a difference with the bad knee though, as that's subjective.

All I know, is unpacking the bike after riding a full day and setting up camp, then sitting by the campfire as the sun goes down enjoying my coffee and a delicious mountain house meal truly does something for my soul. If it's overlooking a body of water, or mountains...even better!

RedLdr1

Site Supporter
Wayne if you come to the TN rally I'd love to let you test out my sleeping setup just so you can see what is achievable in comfort
I plan on being at the TNT...and will have to check out your setup! In the mean time for TNT I have a nice hotel reserved...

Bike
1984 Moto Guzzi T5
All Stays is good. You can find a lot of out of the way places. RV Park Review is good too. The review site is good cause it usually offers really up to date info on sites. You can find out about run down campgrounds and usable power. Yeah, ignore the reviews that complain about not having access for a 40ft motorhome towing the car :) But, most have comments on showers and other facilities as well as current costs.

And, yeah, both can be viewed with a smartphone, although a bit of a hassle with a small screen.

If I am looking for a site I'll use my GPS POI information to locate candidates and then verify the status of the campground with one of the Review sites. I usually plan ahead at least the night before and scope out two or three good candidates along my path. That usually works.

Bike
1984 Moto Guzzi T5
Yes. Both of the photos above were in colorado. The second one is headed towards Independence pass. The only time I missed fuel injection was at that top of independence pass. The bike still ran fine but was quite rich and down on power.

I will try to get more photos of the trip and post a trip report post here. I had been putting it off, but now feel like reminiscing about the trip :).
Here are pics of the same spot

999471_704373096244013_2129206546_n.jpg

Looking back down to where previous pic was taken

1184846_704373882910601_1373977482_n.jpg

Finally at the pass.

1238805_704373612910628_893727853_n.jpg

Mellow

Admin
2024 Mileage
Bike
21 R1250RT
Unlike Joe though, I do make reservations. Twice I've been late getting to my final town for the evening and nothing was available so I had to go out riding around hoping to find something after already being tired from riding all day. I don't like that as much.
That's one reason I prefer non-Holiday trips, less chance of that. But, I do also try to note an alternate or two for each leg just so I don't get caught at a full one but have never needed to use it.

Top Bottom