Packed for maximalist camping

Marker

This is the first time I have tried to add a picture, so excuse if this did not work.

The ruck sack contains all my camping gear which includes a 2 person tent, sleeping bag, thermarest pad, a ground sheet, a nylon fly for keeping dry at a picnic table. On occasion I add a Kermit chair on top of the ruck sack. Clothes and rain gear go in the top box and side panniers. Tried a tank bag but did not like it and it interfered with the steering.

IMG_0955.JPG

OP
OP
Ripshod
I understand folks desire to 'camp out' and I'm guessing on long trips it must save a lot of money. The only thing I've done on multiple day trips is to stay at a nice motel/hotel and I can't see that I'm going to change much. I liked your last post as that's about where I'm at.

Terry
Since I like to camp as much as I like to ride, I'll do it every chance I get. On last year's 2-week Canada trip, only 3 nights were spent in motels. It was considered the most successful ever.

We don't do it in an effort to save money. I think that anyone who camps with that as their prime motivation, and would otherwise motel it, will spend a lot of time being miserable. Properly gearing up is an expensive proposition and to do it right (comfortably), you also have to spend time at it. Time spent pitching and tearing down is time not on the road.

I see it a lot like riding motorcycles. If you're not really into it already, you probably shouldn't do it just to try to save money. If you find yourself riding in the rain and envy those that you see riding dry and warm in their cars, then motorcycling is probably not for you in the first place. If you are looking for a spot to lie down and you find yourself wishing that you could just check into a room and crash, then you probably should just do that.* If you force yourself to sleep on the ground for the sake of 20 or 50 bucks, you will not be a happy camper.

* Sometimes I feel that way too. As much as I love to camp, I am, after all, a grown-up with a credit card and if I've been riding in the rain and see myself setting up camp, cooking and eating and packing in the rain, I'll sureashell get a room too. There's no shame in that. I'm an outdoorsman, not a masochist.

Bike
2010 Silver NT700
Since I like to camp as much as I like to ride, I'll do it every chance I get. On last year's 2-week Canada trip, only 3 nights were spent in motels. It was considered the most successful ever.

We don't do it in an effort to save money. I think that anyone who camps with that as their prime motivation, and would otherwise motel it, will spend a lot of time being miserable. Properly gearing up is an expensive proposition and to do it right (comfortably), you also have to spend time at it. Time spent pitching and tearing down is time not on the road.

I see it a lot like riding motorcycles. If you're not really into it already, you probably shouldn't do it just to try to save money. If you find yourself riding in the rain and envy those that you see riding dry and warm in their cars, then motorcycling is probably not for you in the first place. If you are looking for a spot to lie down and you find yourself wishing that you could just check into a room and crash, then you probably should just do that.* If you force yourself to sleep on the ground for the sake of 20 or 50 bucks, you will not be a happy camper.

* Sometimes I feel that way too. As much as I love to camp, I am, after all, a grown-up with a credit card and if I've been riding in the rain and see myself setting up camp, cooking and eating and packing in the rain, I'll sureashell get a room too. There's no shame in that. I'm an outdoorsman, not a masochist.
Well said.

I'm not a camper and prefer motels - the Army broke me from liking to sleep on the ground. :tongue:

Mellow

Admin
2024 Mileage
Bike
21 R1250RT
You really don't sleep on the ground - you sleep on an air mattress and if it's a good one like the exped it's about as comfortable as your bed at home - believe it or not.

As for the time it takes to setup/break down camp, I bet I can do that faster that most take to check in at a hotel so I'm on and off the road faster IMO.. But, I love camping so I get to turn one trip into two, a great motorcycling adventure and a great camping adventure.. Plus, I don't have to pack a black light.. LOL :rofl1:

Bottom line, if you don't like camping.. don't do it.

Phil Tarman

Site Supporter
Bike
2010 Silver NT700VA (ABS)
I camped about 1/3 of the nights on the Epic Ride last summer. I'm not particularly fast on setting up or taking down and packing, but some of my best nights on the trip were the nights I camped. I did learn that the cot I took with me wasn't as comfortable as simply putting my Big Agnes mattress into the sleeping bag. Turned out that the 6" I gained with the cot did not make it easier for me to get up and down. The biggest problem I had with camping was my limited bladder capacity. Still working on a good solution to that one.

When I was doing the Four Corners Tour with a bit of time pressure, I didn't camp much. But when I did in Nova Scotia and New Brunswick after the Four Corners were finished, I had a great time.

I also enjoyed camping on the way to Alaska with Jim (junglejim here on the Forum). He was much quicker in setting up and tearing down and packing than I was and I frustrated him a bit, but we had a good time.

Bike
Silver NT700V
Well said.

I'm not a camper and prefer motels - the Army broke me from liking to sleep on the ground. :tongue:
I also agre with what Ripshod said prior to this.

My one comment here is that Army camping and recreational camping are two VERY different things. If you intend to camp, spend the money, get good quality gear, practice and ENJOY.

BTW, the best camping bed I ever had was a good oldfashioned rubberized fabric air mattress. I could adjst it from soft to firm as I needed, it was thick enough to keep me off the ground and DRY. Used that thing for 12 years and have yet to find a suitable replacement.

OP
OP
Ripshod
? The biggest problem I had with camping was my limited bladder capacity. Still working on a good solution to that one.
I have that same issue. I never wake up at home and have to go pee but for some reason I almost always wake up in my tent and have to go RIGHT NOW! There is a way to take care of that without leaving the tent, or even sitting up. When you get good at it, you can just roll over onto your side, carefully put the receptacle into position, and let fly. After a little practice, you don't even need to turn the light on.

You can use a Gatorade bottle or anything else as long as it has a lid*. You don't want to have to deal with spillage. For several years I carried one of these:
(click the image to go see it)

It has the capacity, a generous opening, and that handle is a good thing for stability when you're still a little drunk.

A couple of years ago i replaced it with one of these:
(I paid a lot less for it than you'll see by clicking)

The red bottle was big and awkwardly-shaped, hard to pack. The new bottle folds up to about the size of a film canister (if you remember those from the old days, I'll bet you do).

So there. Probably a lot more information than you wanted to hear about peeing in a tent.

You're welcome.

*Pro tip: ALWAYS put the full vessel out in your vestibule. There's no reason to take any chances.

OP
OP
Ripshod
As for the time it takes to setup/break down camp, I bet I can do that faster that most take to check in at a hotel so I'm on and off the road faster IMO..
Ha! I wish. We maximalists are a different breed. Mostly we envy your type but we can't help it.

Bike
19 Versys 1K SE, 14 FJR
I also agre with what Ripshod said prior to this.

My one comment here is that Army camping and recreational camping are two VERY different things. If you intend to camp, spend the money, get good quality gear, practice and ENJOY.

BTW, the best camping bed I ever had was a good oldfashioned rubberized fabric air mattress. I could adjst it from soft to firm as I needed, it was thick enough to keep me off the ground and DRY. Used that thing for 12 years and have yet to find a suitable replacement.
Yea, I tried that at the NatSTOC the year before last and the damn thing blew up. Big Hole. Slept that night on a flat mattress and then use my wallet camping gear at the Bell Motel. Worked great.

Bike
2010 Silver NT700
Great thread. I need to post photos of my minimalist trip this summer. A few on this board saw my dr650 at Ruedi and spearfish. I camped about half of the two and a half weeks (5300 miles) I was on the trip. It was my longest motorcycle vacation and I took the smaller dual sport and less gear. One way I saved weight was to leave camp stove and mess kit at home. I just ate on the road.

I think motorcycling and camping goes well together if you have the right gear and enjoy the outdoors.

Bike
2010 Silver NT700
Here are a couple photos of a DR lightly loaded for an extended trip with camping. The bike didn't really handle differently with this light load. I spent a lot of time on curvy mountain roads and places like Sonora pass in California were very twisty. Times like that I was very happy to be on a light nimble bike.

Top dry bag contained tent and camp chair.

Yellow top box was lockable and had clothes, Ipad, and anything I needed fast access too.

Right pannier had riding gear and tools, plus some extra water.

Left Pannier had camping gear, extra tubes/tire irorns. and snacks.

Everything I needed and very little I did not.

Bike
1984 Moto Guzzi T5
Here are a couple photos of a DR lightly loaded for an extended trip with camping. The bike didn't really handle differently with this light load. I spent a lot of time on curvy mountain roads and places like Sonora pass in California were very twisty. Times like that I was very happy to be on a light nimble bike.

Top dry bag contained tent and camp chair.

Yellow top box was lockable and had clothes, Ipad, and anything I needed fast access too.

Right pannier had riding gear and tools, plus some extra water.

Left Pannier had camping gear, extra tubes/tire irorns. and snacks.

Everything I needed and very little I did not.
Was that second picture taken in Colorado?

Bike
2010 Silver NT700
Yes. Both of the photos above were in colorado. The second one is headed towards Independence pass. The only time I missed fuel injection was at that top of independence pass. The bike still ran fine but was quite rich and down on power.

I will try to get more photos of the trip and post a trip report post here. I had been putting it off, but now feel like reminiscing about the trip :).

Top Bottom