Packed for maximalist camping

RedLdr1

Site Supporter
So far it looks like Joe is winning the "minimalist" movement. When I meet him in North Georgia that was about all he was packing then.... Looking at the loading on some of the bikes here I'd be looking for a hitch and a trailer!;)

OP
OP
Ripshod
Wow Bob, I hadn't looked at it that way but now that you mention it, it does look like i've bound and mounted a little riding partner back there.

Last edited:

Marker

Holly crap, that is a lot of stuff. The guys I camp with think I carry a lot of crap, but most of you guys beat me hands down. I am on the road so can't post a pic, but I have all the camping gear in a ruck sack across the pilon and everything else is in the large panniers and top box. On my last trip I had a small tank bag but threw it away halfway round Cape Bretton Island. I do not cook on my trips anymore. I like my comforts as well.

Bike
2010 Red NT 700
Here's the packing job when wife and I went cross country summer before last and we camped most of the way. Had to keep it simple. Great fun.
Whoops, here's the best shot of our packing when a Nevada state trooper pulled me over on the "world's loneliest highway."

nuncles

Whoops, here's the best shot of our packing when a Nevada state trooper pulled me over on the "world's loneliest highway."
Hey Herb, glad to see you are doing well. Missing your Shadow any?

Coyote Chris

Site Supporter
Bike
10 Red NT 14 FJR, 17 XT
Now that you mention it, other than slow speed parking lot instability, I cant really say I have either....but the effect of crosswinds seems to be greater....

I've never noticed any instability from my loading either on the Concours or the NT.

Last edited:

Coyote Chris

Site Supporter
Bike
10 Red NT 14 FJR, 17 XT
This lady did have some issues with high speed stability. I think it was that metal lunchbox but am not sure.

Wow. I have to ask, with all that weight back there, have you gotten any high speed wobble (the precursor to the dreaded 'tank slapper')?

I like to be comfortable on a long ride as well. My credit card and hotel reservation information fits snugly in my wallet. :smile:

Phil Tarman

Site Supporter
Bike
2010 Silver NT700VA (ABS)
here's the best shot of our packing when a Nevada state trooper pulled me over on the "world's loneliest highway."
Herb, the first time I rode across that stretch was in 2001. Five of us were on our way to Klamath Falls, OR, for the Concours Owners Group National Rally. We saw a lot of dust on the south side of the highway and when we got there, a guy on a Valkryie was laying about 70 yards off the road. His buddies were with him and we directed traffic until the NHP got there -- about ten minutes later. Then we went on west. I've ridden 50 about six times now and I nearly always see a NHP near Austin summit.

Did you get a "performance award?"

Bike
2010 Red NT 700
Hey Herb, glad to see you are doing well. Missing your Shadow any?
Nope. I'm a sport tourer guy. I wrote a glowing evaluation of my then new Nt for the Shadow forum and haven't changed my tune since.

And yes, Phil I did get a performance award! You can tell by the far off anxious stance in the photo. I'm waiting while the ticket is being written,and of course my wife has to record the whole thing.

Phil Tarman

Site Supporter
Bike
2010 Silver NT700VA (ABS)
And yes, Phil I did get a performance award! You can tell by the far off anxious stance in the photo. I'm waiting while the ticket is being written,and of course my wife has to record the whole thing.
LOL! I swear that my wife enjoyed the one performance award I got when she was with me. The week before, we'd been stopped in the car and the officer wrote a ticket and when I was putting my license back in my wallet, he saw my police chaplain's ID card and backed the ticket out and gave me a warning. I had to listen to Joanne yammer for the next 65 miles about how I deserved a ticket and how she couldn't believe that he'd let me out of it.

Bike
1984 Moto Guzzi T5
I think it was because of my wife that I got away with warnings on two different stops.

When the LEO came up to the window she was laughing and telling me "I told you you were going too fast." I think the LEO's felt sorry for me and gave me a warning instead of a ticket.

Bike
2015 Yamaha FZ-07
downsized_0914120719_0001.jpg

I had to get in on this maximilist thread, the pic is on me on my way to the GNCC @ unadilla NY. Tires don't pack well. LOL

I understand folks desire to 'camp out' and I'm guessing on long trips it must save a lot of money. The only thing I've done on multiple day trips is to stay at a nice motel/hotel and I can't see that I'm going to change much. I liked your last post as that's about where I'm at.

Terry

tawilke46

Chuck, at my age and condition I have the same "gear" for my overnights. Yessir, a hot shower, a/c, a hot breakfast, and a queen size bed, now your're talking!

Top Bottom