Phone/GPS RAM Mount

geno05

I'd seen a mount on ebay for $90 that was a curved plate mounted on top of the dash with two bolts, but wanted something less obtrusive, and cheaper. So I removed the dash cover to see what room I had. I cut a piece of 1/8" thick aluminum, 3/4" wide x 4" long. I then beat it into roughly the same radius as the top of the dash. Then I drilled a 13/64" hole dead center from both directions and tapped it for a 1/4x20 bolt. Test fitting the plate under the dash, there are a couple of plastic stiffeners that I needed to clear, so I used a grinder and notched the plates to clear them. Then I set the plate in place and marked my dash from underneath and drilled a 1/4" hole. (no going back now) I put a 1/4x20 by 5/8" stainless screw through the plate with red loctite, so it's never coming off. I then took some flexible marine epoxy I had left from when I had a boat and smeared that all over the top of the plate and pushed the bolt up through the hole. I put a 1/4" stainless washer over the bolt and screwed on the ram ball. It's rock solid. I have a short Ram coupler and universal X bracket for my phone, and if I ever bite the bullet for a Nuvi 390LN I'm sure it'll work with that too.
Anyway, it's less obtrusive than anything I've seen made for this purpose, and it's up in plain sight. I've got the 12v outlet in my left storage box, and a cheap retractable cord for my phone, so if I use it for my GPS it won't suck my phone dead in an hour. Altogether I have $10 in the Ram Ball and $18 in the X Mount, both off ebay. Everything else I had laying around my garage, so it was cheap.
Gene

Attachments

kelly

That's pretty sweet looking. I may have to attempt something like that later in the year. Thanks for sharing.

OP
OP

geno05

Thanks.
Out of curiosity, what do you find to be the fastest you can comfortably cruise on your NT on the highway? People complain about the power, but I think it's fine. I do wish I had one more gear to lower the RPM's though.
Gene

Phil Tarman

Site Supporter
Bike
2010 Silver NT700VA (ABS)
Gene, I've cruised comfortably at 85 when crossing southern California, Arizona, New Mexico, and west Texas on I-8 and I-10. In most of those places the speed limit was 80, but I was being passed by way more people than I was passing, so I went with the flow.

When I bought my NT, I expected it to be a "torque-y V-Twin." It's not. It's an engine that develops its power in the upper reaches of its rpm-range. I rarely run it at under 4K, and sure don't give it much juice at speeds under that. 60mph = 4,250 rpm, half of the red-line. I've never gotten it to red-line in 5th but others have. Fastest I've been is 108. I haven't been over 100 in a long, long time. But I don't need to do that anymore anyway.

Bike
1984 Moto Guzzi T5
Yep, out here freeway cruising at 85 is common. And I did that plus some on the NT many times. I can vouch that it is comfortable at 90+ all day long (I-40 from Barstow to Albuquerque). I even had a 1 hour stretch at 100+ when following a Mercedes and Audi one morning. They passed me (on a 2 lane US hwy) so I just kept up. I didn't realize how fast we were going until I had to slow considerably for a long sweeper. We were at 115 just before the curve. I knew we were going fast, just didn't realize when we went over 100.

It is not a super smooth high speed bike. The buffeting and engine rpm let you know you are 'at speed'. But, it will happily run along at those speeds. There are no bad habits. The suspension is good enough to absorb the bumps and not wobble at any point, even in 100mph sweepers. Even at around 120 it is perfectly stable. And it seems to automatically lean into the wind, so with crosswinds you aren't fighting the bars as much as on a naked bike. Be aware that at 85-90 the fuel mileage drops down into the mid 30's and over 100 it can be in the high 20's.

I did find that my Cee Bailey +6 windscreen was creating a bit of drag at high speeds. If I moved it all the way to the bottom I could get an extra 5mpg out of it. With a stock windscreen lowered all the way you might get better than that.

PS I'd still have it if there was 20 more hp and 6 speeds :D :D :D :D

Bike
2011 NT
I have the standard Cee Bailey WS. Keep it in the 2nd notch unless the wind is real cold. Haven't had it much over 80 yet. But it is solid at speed.

OP
OP

geno05

Thanks, I wondered if it got uncomfortable above 75. Glad to hear it's not an issue, nor are the RPM's. I've had a lot of bikes of all types, and this may be the most perfect compromise between light commuter, agile canyon carver, and touring bike I've found, and the thing is easy on gas.
Gene

OP
OP

geno05

That's fast enough for me too. My first street bike was a 1976 KH500. Fastest I ever had it was 125 and haven't been that fast since.

OP
OP

geno05

That's fast enough for me too. My first street bike was a 1976 KH500. Had it to 125 and haven't been that fast on a bike since.

Bike
1984 Moto Guzzi T5
Yep, the NT is probably the most balanced bike for a general purpose. Commuter it is great. Good on highway. Won't embarass you too much in twisties. Relatively light and easy on gas. Reliable as a nail.

Just a little more power and 6 speeds and it would be a perfect bike :) Like a Guzzi Norge, only more reliable and good dealer network :D

Warren

Bike
2019 Yamaha XMAX
The latest issue of Road Runner has a test on the Norge. I do like the bike but it is priced a little steep at $16K+

Last edited:
Bike
1984 Moto Guzzi T5
Yep, new ones can be pricey. But, there aren't any new NT's and the next closest are the Beemers.

Warren

Bike
2019 Yamaha XMAX
They list the weight at 566lbs so its the same as the NT with 102 Hp and a 6.1 gal gas tank. Not bad

Phil Tarman

Site Supporter
Bike
2010 Silver NT700VA (ABS)
You're talking about the Norge, right? If I had 16K, I'd take a serious look. It's got "character." When I had my GL650i Silverwing, I used to pretend it was a Moto Guzzi.

ken

Bike
2010 Red NT700
there aren't any new NT's
That's not completely true. A quick search finds two possible options: 2011 at El Campo Cycle Center, 28268 US Hwy 59 El Campo, TX 77437, and a 2010 at Lapeer Honda, 895 South Main St. Lapeer, MI 48446.

And lots of low mileage bikes spread all around the US. No one need ride an inferior bike.

Ken

Bike
1984 Moto Guzzi T5
You can do the same kind of search for Guzzi Norge's as well as other types if you don't want to pay sticker.

I am always suspect of new old stock bikes. Haven't been ridden in how many years? And some not started for that period of time? Worse than a well used bike that saw regular maintenance.

The problem with the Norge is the instrument cluster and it's affect on the bike. It has so far not been proven very reliable. If not for that I'd own one right now.

Warren

Bike
2019 Yamaha XMAX
what goes wrong with the instrument cluster and what effect does it have on the bike ?

OP
OP

geno05

I looked long and hard at Guzzis, especially the Norge. Gorgeous bikes, and I'm hopeful that "Made in Italy" no longer means unreliable. I hadn't heard about any difficulties with the instruments. But I'll probably still have one someday. Here's a list of what I've had to date:
1974 Honda MT125 (new)
1976 Kawasaki KH500 (new)
1976 Honda MT250 (new)
1973 Honda CT90 (kids bike)
1983 Yamaha GT80 (kids bike)
1976 Suzuki GT380 (first of several project bikes)
2002 Suzuki SV650 (naked, but farkled it into a poor man's BMW) (new)
2004 Victory Vegas (new)
1978 Yamaha DT400
1976 Suzuki TC185 (project)
1971 Yamaha R5 (project)
1973 Yamaha RD350 (project) brought back from the dead
1974 Yamaha RD350 (project)
1978 Triumph T140 Bonneville (project)
1970 Triumph Trophy 250 (project)
1970 Honda CL350 (project)
1986 BMW R65
1974 Harley SX350 Sprint (Aermacchi) brought back from the dead, exorcised demons, etc.
2010 Honda NT700V/A

Just have the last two on the list now.

Gene

Top Bottom