Planning device? what do you use

Bike
'10 NT 84 BMW R100RT Ural
I curious, what do you use to plan your routes. Like riding styles, route planning is personal, never get in a debate with your way is better on riding or planning.

I use
1. Street and Trips to plan routes, I try and get a State map at the welcome center in each state but always have my trusty program handy. On line
programs due little without connection. Too bad Microsoft stopped this program,I will be looking for another program to takes it place.
Making a GPX and then getting it to the GPS, mostly works well for me.
2. Google map or http://www.harley-davidson.com/content/h-d/en_US/home/owners/plan-your-ride/hd-ride-planner-overview.html
3. Back up Phone, I don't use a phone to due route: I keep the phone in a safe pocket in case of a crash.
4. I once had my GPS die on a trip, and I now pack a second older GPS (JIC). Seems I always have a GPS alive when riding or diving. In fact usually the
GPS is how I check my speed.
5. A USA almanac is too big for long rides, but I sometimes carry one. I guess I am too anal not to have a GPS, kind of like a computer (was IT for years)
still a Lenovo packed on trips.

Till this week I always used a car GPS (Gramin), but this week I purchased a TomTom Rider: I like the name. I have found even with planning way points sometimes the GPS gets lost from the planned route. I also will do a turn list for the tank bag, and the way points.

Bike
2010 Red NT700
I sit down at the computer and get a general outline of the trip in my head using google maps. Then I refer to my iphone 6plus as the trip goes on or if I want to deviate from my original plan.
Sometimes I will buy a laminated map of the state I am in while on the road

Warren

Bike
2019 Yamaha XMAX
I have my GPS set to avoid expressways and dirt roads. Other than that I punch in the destination and let the GPS pick the route. I have no desire to sit at computer planning out a route.

Phil Tarman

Site Supporter
Bike
2010 Silver NT700VA (ABS)
I use Streets and Trips for most of my route planning. I've never converted a S&T file to a .gpx file, I just enter the via points.

I'd be curious to see what a GPS like the Tom Tom Rider and the newer Garmins that have the "curvy road" setting does different from what I do.

On the Working on the Railroad Rally, my computer and my Garmin wouldn't talk to each other and my Garmin wouldn't let me enter coordinates and then save a new route. I had to go into an old saved route, delete all the coordinates, then reenter them manually and then save the route. I didn't get much sleep that night. We had gotten the bonus package at 2PM, had a banquet at 5PM -- that didn't start until 6PM because of hotel issues. I used S&T to figure out a route (that would have let me finish 7th among the New Rally Riders if I had followed rally instructions. Then I spent about three hours before I figured out how to save a route. We had to be at our bikes at 3AM, so I think I probably got 1 1/2 hours sleep.

Then we started in the rain and I could either close my faceshield and let it steam up or leave it open and let water drip onto the inside as we rode the first twisty 40 mile stretch from Big Sky down to the flat near Bozeman. After the rain stopped I got much more relaxed and comfortable.

DirtFlier

Site Supporter
Bike
2010 Silver NT700V/ABS
For long trips, I typically create day routes on Garmin MapSource which is now their outdated software but I've been using it since 2005 so am accustomed to all its wrinkles. Having a route in my GPS allows me to explore previously unknown roads without getting too far off the beaten track since the GPS is continually trying to get me back onto the route. Rather than make one route that covers x-thousand miles, I've found it much more practical to make one for each day.

The netbook I carry on long trips has MS streets & trips and Garmin Mapsource so I don't need a WiFi hookup. Streets & Trips is invaluable for quickly determining distances from point-to-point where that function is nearly impossible with Mapsource. Many times, I'll change the route for the next day in the hotel that night. I rarely refer to paper maps on a long trip.

JQL

Growing old disgracefully
Bike
2010 NT700 & 2019 FJR1300
In the UK the Ordnance Survey have produced some really outstanding maps. I use the Explorer Series 2?" to the mile (there are others less detailed). These may be considered "overkill" by some when planning a route but, when you know how to read them, the information they provide is second to none.

The sorts of information are (not a complete list):

Gradients
Twistys
Places of interest
Places which could be of interest - old quarries, dew ponds etc.
Geological features

They say planning is half the fun. With the ordnance Survey maps that is certainly the case.

If you come to the UK, I thoroughly recommend doing your planning with these maps before you start with Google/Bing Maps or GPS.

I'm sure you'll have similar maps in your country or state. They really are a goldmine of information.

Bike
2010 Silver NT700
I use Streets & Trips to plan the trip. I like the way the software can be configured to identify where you will be at certain times. This allows me to realistically figure out how far is reasonable for me to ride each day. I then break up the route into individual days. I use a book that identifies scenic drives in the USA to further modify my route so I can take advantage of some of the amazing scenery on offer when touring this country.

I am fairly detailed in planning out our trips. I have the departure and arrival times known for each travel day. I know about where I'll be for lunch so we can plan accordingly for eating and we book our lodging well in advance. Not everyone's cup of tea for sure but it works well for us and we really have enjoyed our 4 cross-country trips (and plan on doing many more!).

I plug all that data as day routes in my bike's on-board GPS and print out a PDF version of the strip map directions just in case I need a "hard copy" of the route. I can put the PDF on my tablet for quick reference.

I also transfer the Streets and Trips data to Basecamp so I can put the route into my wife's Zumo 590 (each day being a different segment/route for a "trip"). If Basecamp would automatically calculate in rest stops, I could completely use it to replace Streets and Trips. Until then, Streets and Trips is the best software I've seen to actually plan out a trip (from a timing perspective).

Bike
1984 Moto Guzzi T5
I start out with paper maps. I have one for each of the major portions of the US. I highlight (yes, using a highlighter) places I want to visit and the sequence I want to follow. FWIW, some of these 'places' might be roads that I want to ride on, like CO141 or US191 in AZ.

Then I look at likely routes. For help in finding 'good' routes I also look up motorcycleroads.com. It is not always a great source, but, it may have ideas that I have not known of. I will also sometimes ask in forums where little known roads are.

Then I assemble my route using the paper maps (AAA maps are the best ones, Benchmark state recreation maps a close second). I will also use Google Maps or Copilot (it is loaded on my tablet and phone) to check for mileages/travel times of these routes and adjust my stopping points. One of these days I will try to use Basecamp again since my GPS is a Garmin.

Once I have selected my route I will get out my paper maps and highlight the route. That makes it easier to see when it is in the map case on my tankbag. Then I program my GPS and the GPS in the phone (I frequently have both active, one zoomed in and one with wide overview).

And, yes, I do use all three (paper, GPS, phone) for navigating during the day. They each have their specific uses. I use the phone for looking up places to see along the way, like restaurants. Yes, the POI's in the GPS app will do the job sometimes, but, I can search on the net using the phone and just get more information about places, like operating hours, seasonal hours, current local conditions, admission costs (where applicable), etc.

Sometimes I will notice signs for something along the way that I did not notice before and that will require a short 'stop and search' for information to see if I want to deviate from planned route.

And, yes, sometimes I wish it were easier for all my devices to work together better, but, I don't do this enough to learn how to do that. So, now when I plan a route I have a map spread out on the table, with my laptop, phone, GPS and tablet all within easy reach :)

Woodaddict

Site Supporter
2024 Mileage
Bike
Red NT700V & Spyder RTL
had a garmin 350lm for 2 yrs. just sold it to Phil. just got a tomtom rider gps, so haven't tried it yet. msrp on tomtom is $400, but saw it on amazon for $300. the biggest reason for switching was I wanted to pick my exact route sometimes, used garmin's basecamp software, pain in the neck. not too user friendly, so I tried "ridewithgps" allowed me to plan a route, then for month pay service would write to garmin. took me hrs and hrs trying both. so I was ready to try tomtom. I think tyre will work better to plan route and import

Warren

Bike
2019 Yamaha XMAX
David, Let us know your thoughts on the TomTom Rider when you get to it. My Zumo 550 is getting long in the tooth and I am considering getting a rider to replace it.

OP
OP
Miairhead
Bike
'10 NT 84 BMW R100RT Ural
I just used Tyre to move a Street and Trips to the TomTom, and checking for the next long trip it seems to transferred all the way points I installed. I going to do a small ride tomorrow, and plan a route tonight, I see just how well I follow my route. At $299, shipped I hope it all works as I hoped. I not had a TomTom for years, but I think it mounts well (already came with RAM connection). I still use a Glare Stopper, but it seems to show up better then the car GPS I was using.

DirtFlier

Site Supporter
Bike
2010 Silver NT700V/ABS
[...the biggest reason for switching was I wanted to pick my exact route sometimes, used garmin's basecamp software, pain in the neck. not too user friendly...]

That's the primary reason why I'm still using MapSource. It's not 100% foolproof and sometimes needs lots of waypoints but otherwise works fine for me. And I'm know how to work it. :)

JQL

Growing old disgracefully
Bike
2010 NT700 & 2019 FJR1300
had a garmin 350lm for 2 yrs. just sold it to Phil. just got a tomtom rider gps, so haven't tried it yet. msrp on tomtom is $400, but saw it on amazon for $300. the biggest reason for switching was I wanted to pick my exact route sometimes, used garmin's basecamp software, pain in the neck. not too user friendly, so I tried "ridewithgps" allowed me to plan a route, then for month pay service would write to garmin. took me hrs and hrs trying both. so I was ready to try tomtom. I think tyre will work better to plan route and import
And you sold it to Phil! :rofl1:

Woodaddict

Site Supporter
2024 Mileage
Bike
Red NT700V & Spyder RTL
ya you know, that guinea pig in the yellow banana suit, who looks like a munchkin on a teeder - todder. (for those who missed it) when phil rides with those short legs dangling straight down to stretch them while in NT motion. watch,,, now I won't get paid!!! but I didn't say that..................stupid computer

Phil Tarman

Site Supporter
Bike
2010 Silver NT700VA (ABS)
ya you know, that guinea pig in the yellow banana suit, who looks like a munchkin on a teeder - todder. (for those who missed it) when phil rides with those short legs dangling straight down to stretch them while in NT motion. watch,,, now I won't get paid!!! but I didn't say that..................stupid computer
Hmm...it strikes me that I'm kind of in control of how this deal plays out. You better watch what you say about me. In fact, I think you ought to write a sincere and contrite retraction to the above post. Then we'll see whether or not you get paid.

:think1:

Bike
2013 Yamaha FJR1300
Road Runner Magazine (semi-monthly) (www.roadrunner.travel) has been running a series on GPS's and route planning. The series of articles are on their website under the "GPS" subsection on their home page. The website articles lag the magazine article by one issue.

Last edited:

Woodaddict

Site Supporter
2024 Mileage
Bike
Red NT700V & Spyder RTL
Hmm...it strikes me that I'm kind of in control of how this deal plays out. You better watch what you say about me. In fact, I think you ought to write a sincere and contrite retraction to the above post. Then we'll see whether or not you get paid.

:think1:
contrite confessional in the works............

Top Bottom