Planning device? what do you use

Woodaddict

Site Supporter
2024 Mileage
Bike
Red NT700V & Spyder RTL
David, Let us know your thoughts on the TomTom Rider when you get to it. My Zumo 550 is getting long in the tooth and I am considering getting a rider to replace it.
one thing. it doesn't have a external speaker, need a Bluetooth headset which I already have. I will be using it sunday for a ride to grandfather mntn , blowing rock, and brp into va. I will use curvy roads option set in middle. will be awhile until I need to use "travel with tyre" the make you own route option and put into unit

Warren

Bike
2019 Yamaha XMAX
Does the TomTom Rider have the avoidance feature like the Zumo 550 which lets you set it to avoid expressways, toll roads dirt roads etc. I find that function helpful since I mostly use the GPS to select the route for me and seldom create my own. The curvy road function sounds similar at least in that I assume it will avoid expressways. The Zumo does not have an external speaker either and I have a Uclear 100 plus intercom that I Bluetooth to the Zumo.

Before jumping on the TomTom GPS ...anyone with an iPhone can get the same features for $50. in the app.

It's brilliant - includes free map updates for North America. Winding Roads is just too much fun.
It does allow no freeways and while it does say it will avoid gravel it's not perfect in that regard.....which is not a big deal on the Vstrom.

Kid and I have discovered many super roads that would be hard to locate on a map without a lot of work.
Then when you get tired of the byways just switch the route type to fastest and away you go. It's the element of surprise that I like.

https://itunes.apple.com/ca/app/tomtom-u.s.-canada/id326075661?mt=8

Tunes, Audible books, my email, phone when in range and voice to Nav all in one device and all working together.

BTW a used iPhone 4 or 4s costs about $100 and you do not need any sort of a data plan or phone service to use it as a standalone GPS and you have a pretty solid choice of apps.

I use an Xram mount for it and a ziplock if it rains. Been using an iPhone for about 3 years now and the apps get better and better.
Can't see any reason to buy a dedicated GPS.

The trouble with paper maps ( my girl friend loves them ).....you have to know where you are first :D

Winding Roads snagged some gorgeous byways in Virginia last year and I did not have to identify any of them.

Unfortunately the Winding Roads is only on the iPhone....the Android version does not support it.

Attachments

Last edited:
OP
OP
Miairhead
Bike
'10 NT 84 BMW R100RT Ural
This is a upload of the manual for the TomTom Rider. Like all GPS there are avoidance, plus a feature on high end Garmins for curvy routes. So far I like the Rider, I did get a Glare Stomper, even though I could see the screen without it. At $300 would be cheaper to replace then a cell phone. I don't take my device in a service station to use restroom, or a drink. Cell phone is a backup, and it is NOT water proof, I do on trips ride in the rain. Like all things, enjoy what you want, and use what ever you like.
http://download.tomtom.com/open/manuals/rider2nd/refman/TomTom-RIDER-en-GB.pdf

Last edited:
Bike
1984 Moto Guzzi T5
And that is why I have a phone (usually running a second GPS), GPS and paper map when on trips :D

If I only have one, such as for part day rides, it is the phone.

Woodaddict

Site Supporter
2024 Mileage
Bike
Red NT700V & Spyder RTL
Does the TomTom Rider have the avoidance feature like the Zumo 550 which lets you set it to avoid expressways, toll roads dirt roads etc. I find that function helpful since I mostly use the GPS to select the route for me and seldom create my own. The curvy road function sounds similar at least in that I assume it will avoid expressways. The Zumo does not have an external speaker either and I have a Uclear 100 plus intercom that I Bluetooth to the Zumo.
2 ways to plan routes with rider. normal plan a route, using your preferences that are saved how you pick them, or curvy route. curvy route has 3 ways to do it. curvy, middle between curvy and highways, and highways( still puts in some curvy and different than normal plan route). then after making any route you can change route to avoid any part of route by juts tapping on the name, it re writes route in the avoidance part you picked. so its easier to almost make your entire route without having to write it all free hand on tyre app feature.
this is version 5 or 3rd gen as they call it. been out since last year, so price is coming down to $300 at few retails. you can tell by " curvy roads" app and "help me" feature.
I also have a Samsung S5 rugged phone that I hang on handle bars, its waterproof, so can take elements. previous was a Samsung S4 rugged, but got a case that was not waterproof, water got in between case and phone, would have to take apart and dry to use. with S5 I got a bodyguarz screen protector that presses right on glass screen, no water can get in between, solved the problem.

Nother new development is MotoMapper and Furkot.

http://www.motomappers.com
https://trips.furkot.com

They are working together but the big thing with Furkot is the Googlemap base that allows you to then translate your Googlemap designed route you've done in Furkot, translate it to waypoints and then export to a variety of formats

Now this is reversible as well.....if someone sends you a GPX file you can import it.

I think this is a long awaited Rosetta stone for the devices to convert easy route planning and mapping into GPS readable files.

Top Bottom