Plastic post latch failed...

Bike
Black 2009 NT700
As I said, Looks Good!
Unfortunately, sometimes looks and function don't go hand-in-hand. Now where have I heard that before, Mr Honda?
Keep trying until you get it right, I did. Then the satisfaction of a job well done is worth it.
Macka

mikesim

Site Supporter
Bike
NT700, Red, #989,
Comments always welcome. BTW, any thoughts of JB Weld vs epoxy?
IMHO, I think JB Weld would be the better material. JB is made with metal powder and is stronger structurally. JB can be drilled and tapped if necessary. Rather than rework the whole thing you may want to try removing the studs and resetting them with the JB.

Bike
2020 Kawasaki Versys
It sounds as if the epoxy you used did not have the adhesive strength required. I would use JB weld or other good quality product. I have noticed that not all epoxies are equal. For instance 5 minute epoxy is very handy for many things but not as strong as others. In my repair of the latches I used a paste product that looks similar to JB weld called PC-7. The container doesn't say it contains metal powder but looks like JB weld and sets hard.

Brad

mikesim

Site Supporter
Bike
NT700, Red, #989,
It sounds as if the epoxy you used did not have the adhesive strength required. I would use JB weld or other good quality product. I have noticed that not all epoxies are equal. For instance 5 minute epoxy is very handy for many things but not as strong as others. In my repair of the latches I used a paste product that looks similar to JB weld called PC-7. The container doesn't say it contains metal powder but looks like JB weld and sets hard.

Brad
Something to consider for the do-it-yourselfer that just came to mind. JB Weld offers a lot of different products with many different cure times. The folks at JB Weld advise that for the strongest repair, use the original formula which usually requires an overnight cure. So if you're not in a hurry......

Mike

Bike
Silver NT700VA
Thanks all! Yes, I’m going the JB Weld route. They claim it can be tapped. I’m thinking of waxing/greasing a fine finishing nail so that I can withdraw it once hardened and tapping the hole. I’ve heard you can do the same to the threads of a machine screw to form the threads, but would hate to have locked into the epoxy. Otherwise, I could fashion a stud and set it as before.

Yes, I’ve looked at the various formulations. I’m tending to opt for the high-strength liquid vs the putty. Thoughts?

Top Bottom