Power Facts

Phil Tarman

Site Supporter
Bike
2010 Silver NT700VA (ABS)
you might be able to find someone to build you a Nitrous Kit
I've got a semi-friend here in town who has a CB1100 Blackbird with a nitrous kit [/U]and a ZX1100 with a turbo-charger. I remember him telling me that the ZX had 174 hp with low boost, and 230 with high boost. He told me what the nitrous kit did for the Blackbird, but I don't remember what he said.

Coyote Chris

Site Supporter
Bike
10 Red NT 14 FJR, 17 XT
I think this power thing is all about testosterone poisoning....sure, I like to take out my Connie and let it run a bit for a short period...but the NT is fine....it is fun in the same way my Toyota Matrix is fun with the five speed and the 1.8 liter engine...you can run them through the gears and never have to worry much about getting a ticket. If I run my Connie through the gears, I am in ticket territory by the end of 3rd or 4th gear. I live at 2400 ft and tour at 5000 ft and above lots of the year...sure, I would like to see a few more HP, but its fine the way it is. I wonder how much HP one looses for every 1000 ft one goes up on a standard day?
I've got a semi-friend here in town who has a CB1100 Blackbird with a nitrous kit [/U]and a ZX1100 with a turbo-charger. I remember him telling me that the ZX had 174 hp with low boost, and 230 with high boost. He told me what the nitrous kit did for the Blackbird, but I don't remember what he said.

DirtFlier

Site Supporter
Bike
2010 Silver NT700V/ABS
[...I wonder how much HP one looses for every 1000 ft one goes up on a standard day?...]

Don't know how accurate was the statement but I recall reading that a 1000 cc bike at 5000 feet feels like a 750. Before fuel injection that compensated for pressure differences, carburetors ran richer and richer as you climbed into the mountains because they still flowed the same amount of fuel but the air was diminishing so the fuel/air mix got overly "rich." This was very noticeable on 2-strokes and not so much on 4-strokes.

Bike
1984 Moto Guzzi T5
Don't know the exact number but the NHRA had an 'adjustment' factor for higher altitudes.

I used to remember that kind of stuff when I flew airplanes. I do remember that a Cessna 150 was useless out here on a warm day. :)

No, I don't want 150 or 200hp. The NT is a good bike as is. To make it perfect (for me) it would need the extra power and either different gearing or 6 gears.

Bear

Bike
2010 NT-700 V Red
I am not into power--actually am too old. I did all that stuff when I was racing. I have to agree with Chris about the Matrix. We have the same thing in our Vibe (actually a re badged Matrix) The 5SP does have the fun factor just like the NT.

Warren

Bike
2019 Yamaha XMAX
Speed limit signs and the police pretty much keep me in check. I really do not enjoy the sight of red flashing lights in my mirrors. 5 over is about as exciting as it gets for me.

Johnny Canuck

As was stated earlier, if you want to race, go to a race track. And once you've experienced racing on a track, you won't try and bother duplicating on the roads. It just can't be done correctly or safely. Then you become committed to responsible and safe commuting on our shared roadways...and you feel good about it! The NT seems to be a great "spokes bike" - if there's such a thing - for this. Like the other's who've expressed their opinion, I'll say it my way...it's way more fun driving an under-powered vehicle than an over-powered one. The NT seems to be on the borderline...which is the fun factor speaking at you.

Bike
2010 Red NT700V
I think those of us who've committed incredible acts of stupidity in our teens & twenties and actually made it to our fifties would be the first to admit how truly skillful we really were. Dumb luck had nothing to do with it? :rofl1:

Actually, when I think about it now, I'm surprised I survived my twenties. I did all sorts of things that make me cringe now. A couple of weekends ago, I went riding with some local riders, one of whom was a twenty something fellow on a SV650. He was a really nice, intelligent young man and a skilled rider. We got into some mountain twisties, mostly blind curves with steep grades, 180 degree hairpins, sheer rock cliffs and steep drop-offs, etc. and he took off. He had the right bike for it, and knew how to ride fast, hanging off the inside and riding very confidently and for a while I kind of kept up with him as best I could. But a little voice in the back of my head kept saying things like "what if there's a group of bicycles around that curve? What if there' a big truck plodding along at 20mph? What if there's a big patch of gravel or fallen rocks across the road? So I backed off and just let him go. Apparently, in my 50's, I have accepted my own mortality. It would be fun to have a high Hp, high torque, agressive handling bike but I ride way too conservatively and cautiously now to really use it to it's full potential. I still lust after other bikes sometimes, but really the NT is all the bike I need.

Bike
2010 Red NT700V
I bought a Honda Element when they first came out. Honda was taken off guard when the "seasoned" crowd really took to this vehicle...

I am what you would call a "Big Ol Boy", 275 lbs.
At first, I thought the NT didn't have enough power, especially since I also own a Vmax.
I have found this little bike loves to be wound up...that's why the red line is higher than most v-twins, and it scoots my big butt right down the road.
I love the gas mileage and comfort after a few tweaks.
I can't get rid of my Vmax, but I couldn't part with my NT either......both are fun for what they were meant to be!
I think the Honda dealers made a big mistake not getting excited over the NT and pushing it to the over 50, "smartened - up" riders.

venture93

I've got to echo what i have heard here, i'm 210, ladyfriend is a buck thirty-five and on occasion i pull a trailer two up. Not gonna set the world on fire, but also never felt as though the bike was being over taxed or that i didn't have enough horsepower to get the job done. Big change from the GL-1800, but sure is a respectable ride, sips fuel, and a lot of fun when riding solo. I do miss how easy it was to change the rear tire on the wing though..........

Bike
Bonneville T120
I don't find that NT lacks for power it the bike is ridden correctly. I'm an old guy, not as old as some of you old farts but I'm still old. This engine likes the RPMs.
Just out of curiosity, under normal riding conditions, at what speed to you typically hit 5th gear?

junglejim

Site Supporter
Bike
Tiger 800, NT sold
Just out of curiosity, under normal riding conditions, at what speed to you typically hit 5th gear?
Speed limit is 55 so I keep it under 60 - 61.
Interstate is 65 mph so I run 70.
Anything over that might get you a performance award from WI State Patrol.
Usually county deputys won't stop you for less than 10 mph over the speed limit.
I have been stopped and written for 6 mph over the limit on an empty road at 7:00 AM on a Sunday morning.

When I go out west it takes me a while to get used to going the faster speeds that are common out there.
When I get home I have a hard time slowing down.

Bike
1984 Moto Guzzi T5
I don't find that NT lacks for power it the bike is ridden correctly. I'm an old guy, not as old as some of you old farts but I'm still old. This engine likes the RPMs.
When riding hard I will shift into fifth at around 80 or 90. When just lazily shifting up through the gears then about 60. That is when I try to find another gear as I reach 75.
Yes speeds out here are a bit higher. The leos do not stop folks doing under 80 on the interstate. Other roads you are usually safe at 9 over. That's 74 on most back roads.

Phil Tarman

Site Supporter
Bike
2010 Silver NT700VA (ABS)
Yes speeds out here are a bit higher. The leos do not stop folks doing under 80 on the interstate. Other roads you are usually safe at 9 over. That's 74 on most back roads.
Charlie, I noticed that most of the roads up in the NE cornier of NM were posted at 60, including 412 between Clayton and Springer. I rode at 65, but would have been comfortable at 80.

tawilke46

I got stopped by a local LEO in Vaughn, NM. Claimed I was doing 55 in a 40 mph zone. Actually, according to my speedo I was doing between 40 and 45 mph. I could plainly see what could happen here......not a pretty picture. Vacation ruined, fine would be what ever I had in my wallet. Kids and wife in the car as daddy talked to the LEO. I was lucky however, he let me go with a warning. Nice, since I had not really done anything wrong to start with.
When I drove through NE New Mexico last October, I was especially careful about doing the speed limit or less.
I saw a lot of locals on the roads.

ken

Bike
2010 Red NT700
NM were posted at 60, including 412 between Clayton and Springer
My mom and dad retired to that part of New Mexico (Ute Lake), and I know from experience that unless you are a local, exceeding the speed limit is expensive. In particular, every village and township is a speed trap, even those that hide the speed limit sign behind a tree. If your New Mexico plates are from that county, speed rules don't seem to apply. It is beautiful during the day and full of deer and antelope at night, so I suggest you slow down and enjoy it. Ken

Last edited:
Bike
1984 Moto Guzzi T5
I guess Ihave not experienced much of that, mainly because when entering a small town I expect to see a cop out right behind the 35 (or 25) speed limit sign. FWIW, I learned that behavior in Kentucky and Alabama. Have found the same to be true in almost every state in the US.

Of course, 99% of the time there is no cop waiting to give out a ticket. But, drive through any small town in the US over a holiday at 15mph over the limit and you will see blinking lights in your rear view mirror.

And, yes, I drive about 10 over almost every where I go, EXCEPT in or around a small town. If I am really relaxing then I will only do 5 over and on very rare times I will actually drive the speed limit when on the highway. :)

tawilke46

We have our fair share of speed traps here in Louisiana too. Krotz Springs and Golden Meadow come to mind.
When driving through small towns, I do no more than the posted speed. In fact when I see the sign "Reduced Speed Ahead", I start slowing down. Has saved me many times from a sure ticket.

Bike
2013 FJR 1300
FYI, there was a dude from Seattle who decided to leg out his Duck in Oregon last weekend. 130 MPH = $1,100 fine.

Top Bottom