Power Facts

Phil Tarman

Site Supporter
Bike
2010 Silver NT700VA (ABS)
I've always observed the speed limit in towns. All the way through NM, I saw one law enforcement vehicle. It was a pickup that was behind me going up Cimarron Canyon through the State Park. I was riding the speed limit in the rain and when we came to a longer than usual straight, he blew past me like I was standing still. The car behind him went with him. I was just fine enjoying the ride and the scenery.

That's an issue that I'm struggling with now. My new-to-me NT will be replacing an ST1300 so there will be a drastic drop in available power. It has caused me to think quite a bit about how I use a motorcycle and the different kinds of demands I make of them.

By far the most use I get from the ST is long-distance travel with a full load of camping gear. There are times when I want to punch it and leave my partner behind on his PC800, usually when we come upon some curves after many miles of stupefyingly boring straights. While the desire to 'punch it' on the road has waned a lot over the last ten years, the need to lean hard has not and from what I know about the NT, I'm sure it'll perform up to my own abilities in that area when the chance comes along.

A few years ago, I spent a lot more time on the local twisty roads, the ones where the LEOs rarely go and few motorcyclists have yet discovered. We are blessed to have a good supply of those in this part of the world. I've done a lot less of that kind of riding lately and I hadn't though about why until recently. The ST, while very good at that kind of riding, isn't really made for it. It's huge and heavy and it's power is the only thing that makes sporty riding possible. So I think that a some point, I'll look into getting a small sport bike. I'm thinking about something like the Honda CBR250R or maybe a 250 Ninja. I don't mind shifting a lot, in fact it adds to the experience. One of those small bikes, properly fitted, would be more fun than forcing the ST to act like one of them. And they don't cost much either, so I wouldn't feel too bad about thrashing it around some.

Of course there's also the pack mule/urban chore/off road bike category and for that I have a Kawasaki Super Sherpa. That bike will probably continue to get the most seat time just because it's effortless and it's fun and I can get a whole lot of stuff packed on it.

I think that separating my sport and my touring between two more specialized bikes will be very good for me. I have no need to tear up the roads when I'm hundreds of miles from home with a lot farther to go, and there's no reason to push a 700 pound bike through curves like crazy if there's another option. And when all is said and done, I really don't think that a liter plus is absolutely necessary to get any of those jobs done.

tawilke46

And when all is said and done, I really don't think that a liter plus is absolutely necessary to get any of those jobs done.
It's not. The NT is more than adequate and fun to ride, especially after mounting Michelin PR3's! My big discovery this past fall was my first ride on a Suzuki DL650. Changed my whole perspective on dual purpose bikes not being fun to ride. I now ride the Wee as they call it more than the NT. That DL650 can be addictive! I'm 67 years old now, sub liter bikes are fine and have much more power than they did just 15 years ago.

When I decided that it was time to replace the ST, there were two bikes I was willing to consider - the NT and the WeeStrom. Yeah, they are pretty much opposite directions but for some reason, i kept coming back to those two. The NT won out mostly because of the little 250 thumper Sherpa which I wouldn't hesitate to take anywhere off road because it's small enough to damn near carry out of any hole I'd get it stuck in. The DL650 would only kinda-sorta be an offroad option for me and not as good for touring, which is the main job for the replacement.

The WeeStroms are great bikes and some day I might own one. They are easy to pay for and easy to farkle and easy to ride. You just can't beat that.

tawilke46

The DL650 would only kinda-sorta be an offroad option for me and not as good for touring, which is the main job for the replacement.
Heck, Joe (Mellow) is now doing some touring on his new 2012 Wee.......kind of an endorsement it can't be too shabby in the touring department.

Bike
1984 Moto Guzzi T5
That does depend on what you want in a touring bike. I like having a nice big fairing and windshield in front of me for touring. Even the bigger replacement shields on the dual sports aren't big enough for me. Should be able to drink a cup of coffee behind the windshield :)

Others like having the wind blow around their head. Some like naked bikes for touring. To each their own.

I like it both ways. I like to have my head in the wind but I like the option of having a "cone of silence" when I want it. The way I see it, all I'm losing in that respect is the little button on the left grip that makes it happen. Of course, Mr. Madstad makes that possible on the DL, too.

Bike
2011 NT700VA, black
We're the wise ones, us NT owners. We have figured out, in our slightly advanced ages, that 1,800CCs or 150 HP isn't something that's necessary. Bigger, more powerful has been the motorcycle marketing mantra for years. Maybe we are at the forefront of a new, much more sensible movement. Let's hope Honda notices and develops a true mid-size tourer like our beloved NT in the near future.

Top Bottom