Question for Corbin seat owners

Lars

I am thinking about getting a corbin seat with leather to replace the stock seat. On their website they talk about water getting into the seat when it rains and staying wet until it is able to dry out. What do you do when traveling and it rains? Do you use any type of rain cover to keep the seat dry or is it not really a problem? If you do you a rain cover what kind?

mntsansea_girl

I got a Corbin seat earlier this month. Took it on a 4day ride, almost a 1000 miles... Well, my rear felt so good, I want to go out for another ride... Soon.
You can order a seat cover for it... I did, but after I got the seat... So I didn't have it on my trip. It rained while I was riding and there was no problem with the seat staying wet. At night it rained too, I just covered it with an extra rain jacket I had. Most of the seat was covered so there was no problem at all with the seat being wet. I loved the fact there were no hot spots that made my first, very long ride uncomfortable.

:)

Bike
1984 Moto Guzzi T5
I paid Russell the extra $45 to have a cover made for mine when I had the seat done. Have not used it yet. Doesn't rain much out here. Yesterday was the most rain I have been in on the NT. A large thunderstorm that lasted about 20min. I didn't bother to cover the seat as the other 3 hrs of the ride dried most everything out. But, high humidity out here is 40% :)

Phil Tarman

Site Supporter
Bike
2010 Silver NT700VA (ABS)
I've got Russell's seat cover too. Most of the use mine has got has come when I've gone to the car wash. I've covered it agains rain several times but the rain has never come.

But I'm prepared!

Bear

Bike
2010 NT-700 V Red
I had a Corbin on my Ninja and loved it. Does the Corbin for the NT lower the height or does it remain the same? I know that Sargent offers a seat that puts you an inch lower.

RedLdr1

Site Supporter
Here is a quick pic of my NT with the Corbin installed sitting in the garage.... See this thread for a more economical backrest for a Corbin seat... I am very happy with the combo...

Attachments

Bike
19 Versys 1K SE, 14 FJR
Here is a quick pic of my NT with the Corbin installed sitting in the garage.... See this thread for a more economical backrest for a Corbin seat... I am very happy with the combo...
Show me more pictures of your lowers and give me the details, Who, what, when, and how much?

elizilla

I have also heard you can order a Corbin with a "nose job" that is the same (lower) height, but has a narrower tighter fit at the front edge around the tank, so it is easier to reach the ground.

bicyclist

I have also heard you can order a Corbin with a "nose job" that is the same (lower) height, but has a narrower tighter fit at the front edge around the tank, so it is easier to reach the ground.
I asked them to do that with mine and I think it was a mistake. It causes me to slide forward on the seat. I'm going to remove the cover and add a layer of foam to the front of the seat. Gotta look around to find the right stuff.

In the meantime, I dug an old sheepskin out of the closet and trimmed it to size, then added a second layer under the front of it. That works pretty well.

Bike
2015 Yamaha FZ-07
Wayne,
I had 2 questions on your NT's corbin;
1) Is the seat built on the stock seat pan or is it a typical corbin fiberglass pan?
2) Is the Corbin seat easy to remove to access underseat storage ?

I just bought a corbin for my wife's suzook savage and it was poorly fit to the chassis of the bike, I had to make spacers and rig it on. Corbin customer service wouldn't do anything about it, and I am skiddish of ordering thru them again. I want to make sure that the problems are discrete to the savage model seat.
any personal experience you have would be a great help,
thanks alot.

RedLdr1

Site Supporter
I had 2 questions on your NT's corbin;
1) Is the seat built on the stock seat pan or is it a typical corbin fiberglass pan?
2) Is the Corbin seat easy to remove to access underseat storage ?
1. It is built on Corbin's pan not the stock pan.

2. The Corbin is actually much easier to remove than my OEM seat. But I did remove my FZ-1 Fuseblock, that I had installed where the toolkit should be, as the seat pan pressed against it.

I am going to relocate the FZ-1 in the nose of the NT during my next farkle round. I could have just moved it a little further back to clear the seat but I wasn't happy with the whole setup I created... All my electronic farkles are in the nose and the FZ-1 is in the rear, and that makes sense because? :shrug2: :doh1:

Overall I am very happy with the Corbin...

Bike
2015 Yamaha FZ-07
Glad to hear that , thanks for responding so quickly.
Must be the Savage seat model is the culprit.

Thanks again,

bicyclist

I want to make sure that the problems are discrete to the savage model seat.
any personal experience you have would be a great help,
thanks alot.
Wayne must have lucked out. Both the Corbin on my F800 and the one on my NT required washers under the latch to allow them to go on and off easily. I'm not hugely impressed with Corbin quality. They're more comfortable than stock seats, but not particularly well made.

Silver Ranger

I also had to add some material under the latch to get mine to fit.

Bike
1984 Moto Guzzi T5
I have hard a lot of mixed opinions from various bikes about Corbin seats.

If on a budget I'd go to a local bike shop and have them redo the seat.

Bike
2010 NT700V
My Corbin needs to be "slapped" when I put it on. Pushing down on it like I did with the stock seat doesn't always work. If I slap it on the passenger portion with a back to front slap, it clicks and is fine. Maybe I'll try a couple of washers.
It is firmer than stock, but I have 800 miles or more on mine and like it.

Top Bottom