Questions about the final drive

Woodaddict

Site Supporter
2024 Mileage
Bike
Red NT700V & Spyder RTL
good idea to have a service manual to make sure the parts are in correct order. That is unusual for a static o-ring to go bad. It might let water or road grime in. But the straight mesh splines look good, just a little rusty. Need a coat of moly paste. Moly 60 is equivalent of moly 77. There is the long spacer, thin washer, and thrust washer in the hub.
The play in the straight splines are just from acceleration and braking. I have worn these about 1/4 into the teeth before I decided to just get a whole new final drive for $905 from partzilla. That beat the new spline hub and labor to take apart and might need other parts and shims to put back together. Plus too much down time for me means wasting too much gas driving truck. That was on the silver NT, must have been around 160K miles before splines were worn too much

Bike
NT700V, NC700X, XL600R
While you have the wheel off also check your rubbers. The rubber pucks and aluminum drive inserts for wear. Here are a view pictures. These pictures are of my old NT with 32k miles on it. just before I sold it. If the aluminum is worn as in the pictures, you can turn them around and reinstall in the rubber pucks. Make sure you lube the spider fingers with silicon before you reinstall it.

SAM_2627 bad inserts.jpgSAM_2628 worn rubbers and inserts.jpgSAM_2629 Bad rubber and bad insert.jpgSAM_2630.JPGSAM_2631.JPG
Hmmm... :unsure:

This is another possibility.

Woodaddict

Site Supporter
2024 Mileage
Bike
Red NT700V & Spyder RTL
my universal went out at 188,000 miles on silver NT as a reference.

OP
OP
Circling back on the M-77...there is no consensus. Several posts raise good questions/share negative experiences with M-77.

Bike
2010 Red NT700V
I've used the M-77 for several tire changes now, no evidence of spline wear. It seems to do what it's supposed to.

Brad

Top Bottom