Rear shock leaking oil - how to repair and/or replenish?

basketcase

Site Supporter
Bike
2010 Silver NT700V
So I walked through the carport a few weeks back to spy a drop of oil under the swingarm. After moving the bike around and watching it, the seepage is coming from the rear shock adjuster.

Which leads me to several questions:

1. Is there a way to repair this without a total replacement?

2. Is there a way to replenish the oil while I'm getting ready to do a thorough repair?

As always, thanks in advance,

Rick

Woodaddict

Site Supporter
2024 Mileage
Bike
Red NT700V & Spyder RTL
I doubt you can fix it. Somebody else just a little bit ago posted same problem. I had to replace my shock after same oil explosion on my first NT at 98,000 miles. Try this discount website. Partzilla.com. based in Georgia. Just look at schematic

Woodaddict

Site Supporter
2024 Mileage
Bike
Red NT700V & Spyder RTL
Looked it up....that was YOU who revived a 2019 thread about rear shock. Seems like about in 2016 price was under $500 for oem replacement

OP
OP
basketcase

basketcase

Site Supporter
Bike
2010 Silver NT700V
Looked it up....that was YOU who revived a 2019 thread about rear shock. Seems like about in 2016 price was under $500 for oem replacement.
LOL. I couldn’t recall if or where I asked about it.

At Honda Direct Line the new part is over $1000. I’ll check the partzilla site. Thanks!

mikesim

Site Supporter
Bike
NT700, Red, #989,
Parts Fish has it for $897.28. They have always been competitively priced and fast service.

Mike

JQL

Growing old disgracefully
Bike
2010 NT700 & 2019 FJR1300
Hagon shocks for the NT700 are fully serviceable and about half the price of the Honda one. Hagon claim that they are better quality, but I can't verify that.

My rear shock is leaking. The bike is still rideable but rides like a pogo stick at the rear. I'll be replacing the shock most likely with a Hagon one when I service her in January.

mikesim

Site Supporter
Bike
NT700, Red, #989,
Hmmmmm..... my rear shock is still OK so far at 138K but I guess that's 'cause I'm slim and trim compared to you hefty olde fartz!
:rofl1:
Mike

DirtFlier

Site Supporter
Bike
2010 Silver NT700V/ABS
Most of the Honda shocks CANNOT be rebuilt because the top is welded on at the Showa factory. On most aftermarket shocks, and some Honda off-road shocks, the top is threaded into the body so they can be rebuilt

Reactions: JQL

DirtFlier

Site Supporter
Bike
2010 Silver NT700V/ABS
I believe Wilbers is in the Netherlands?

My only reservation about such a mod is the cost. At some point to might be easier and better to buy a new shock. A long time ago, there was a guy who in Colorado did the same with shocks for off-road bikes but I never inquired as to the cost.

Last edited:
OP
OP
basketcase

basketcase

Site Supporter
Bike
2010 Silver NT700V
@cliffh thanks for the link to that vendor. That will likely become my recourse for getting this thing squared away.

OP
OP
basketcase

basketcase

Site Supporter
Bike
2010 Silver NT700V
In view of the holidays etc., I'm just now getting back to this chore.

Re -
Hagon shocks for the NT700 are fully serviceable and about half the price of the Honda one. Hagon claim that they are better quality, but I can't verify that.

My rear shock is leaking. The bike is still rideable but rides like a pogo stick at the rear. I'll be replacing the shock most likely with a Hagon one when I service her in January.
JQL, can you provide a link or other info to reach a supplier for those shocks?

DirtFlier

Site Supporter
Bike
2010 Silver NT700V/ABS
Several months ago, I installed a Hagon shock with remote preload adjuster on my 2013 Honda CB500F and am very pleased with it. I originally wanted to buy their low-buck model with the threaded preload adjuster at the top of the shock but it would have required shock removal to make any adjustments on my CB. The NT is even worse with access to the top impossible because it lives inside a plastic tunnel that also happens to be the bottom of the inner fender.

http://www.britcycle.com/

I was happy with the process of ordering the shock and speed of delivery from British Cycle since it has to be built in the UK and shipped here. :)

Sunny

Site Supporter
Bike
NT700VA, R1150GS
check EPM Powersports in NJ. They repair / rebuild NT shocks.

Mike Medeiros
EPM Performance Imports
Email: sales@epmperf.com
Phone/ Fax: 732-786-9777
www.epmperf.com

Or you can buy a used shock on ebay. Typically they are <$100 but hard to get, so keep an eye out.

Top Bottom