Rear Wheel and Tire R&R Class

Great thread, thanks everyone! This one is a keeper. Next tire change I have some work to do....

Update!!! Sun Honda tells me that the pinion bearing is on track to arrive tomorrow and they "should" get the bike screwed back together tomorrow.

I can't pick it up till Thursday because we're going to look at our new house again tomorrow afternoon. I'm planning on a Thursday AM pickup and holding my breath to see how much my Honda Extended Warranty pays for.

Update!!! Sun Honda tells me that the pinion bearing is on track to arrive tomorrow and they "should" get the bike screwed back together tomorrow.

I can't pick it up till Thursday because we're going to look at our new house again tomorrow afternoon. I'm planning on a Thursday AM pickup and holding my breath to see how much my Honda Extended Warranty pays for.

That is great. What did they say when you showed them the pictures?

They said, "Ewwww! That's toast."

I still don't know for sure that all the work is going to be warranteed. They're checking out whatever the leak was on the left side engine cover and good ol' Nic is going to "fix" the pannier latches again.

PANNIER LATCHES AGAIN!!! That is for sure the worst thing about the NT, I wish it were in our power to instl them in Mother Hondas posterior. They are the reason tha when the time comes to replace my NT thatit may very well be something entirely unrelated to Honda.Ido love everything else about the bike though once it istuned to suit your individual riding style.

Phil, I hope your warranty covers most of the damages. I would hope Mother Honda might have some very sharp words for the incompetent jerks who worked on it in FL!

Eldon

At 4:25 this afternoon, I got a call from Sun Honda. My bike is fixed. I asked how much I owed. Andrew said, "Not a penny."

I am a BIG advocate of the extended warranty. I'll let you know after I pick the bike up tomorrow how much it would have cost.

At 4:25 this afternoon, I got a call from Sun Honda. My bike is fixed. I asked how much I owed. Andrew said, "Not a penny."

I am a BIG advocate of the extended warranty. I'll let you know after I pick the bike up tomorrow how much it would have cost.

Find out if they replaced the wheel, replaced or rebuilt the rear drive splines, Sounds like they rebuilt the rear drive. Get a full parts list of parts that were installed and lets pull the wheel and inspect their work.:smile:

Last edited:
On her first day of retirement, Joanne drove me to Sun Honda this morning to pick up my bike. The total bill was $1,539.92. My part of that: zip, zilch, nada, nothing.

The final drive required 1.9 hours of labor ($188.16) and $932.86 in parts: The damper set and five dampers, thrust washer, a collar RR, flange set, O-ring, 2 bearings, a dust seal, the final drive gear set ($406), O-ring, 2 oil seals, five bolts, the damper holder, and the pinion bearing ($96.46).

Repairing my pannier iatches required 2 springs at $1.92 each, and .7 hour labor for a total of $73.14.

I had had a small leak that was visible on the left side engine cover. Nic used to O-rings to repair that. He said there's a cross-over tube and that O-ring failure there was fairly common on the Honda V-twins.

That took two O-rings, 2 qts of Coolant, and 1.7 hours. for $167.24.

The bike ran very well coming home. I was impressed that I hadn't completely forgotten how to ride. :)

On her first day of retirement, Joanne drove me to Sun Honda this morning to pick up my bike. The total bill was $1,539.92. My part of that: zip, zilch, nada, nothing.

The final drive required 1.9 hours of labor ($188.16) and $932.86 in parts: The damper set and five dampers, thrust washer, a collar RR, flange set, O-ring, 2 bearings, a dust seal, the final drive gear set ($406), O-ring, 2 oil seals, five bolts, the damper holder, and the pinion bearing ($96.46).

Repairing my pannier iatches required 2 springs at $1.92 each, and .7 hour labor for a total of $73.14.

I had had a small leak that was visible on the left side engine cover. Nic used to O-rings to repair that. He said there's a cross-over tube and that O-ring failure there was fairly common on the Honda V-twins.

That took two O-rings, 2 qts of Coolant, and 1.7 hours. for $167.24.

The bike ran very well coming home. I was impressed that I hadn't completely forgotten how to ride. :)

Good news. I do want to know what they did with the wheel as there was significant wear on it from the thrust washer. One way to compensate for the wear is to use two thrust washers. Go ride it a lot and wear out that tire so we can pull the wheel again and find out.

attachment.php

Last edited:
So now Phil, the question is will your extended warranty pay the bill for my diagnostic fee.:eek:

Last edited:
Send me your bill and I'll forward it to them. If they don't pay it, I'll add it to my list of unpaid bills.

Warren, the pinion bearing wasn't the result of a skipped maintenance procedure. The rest of the damage was. Make sure the splines are properly lubed with Honda Moly-60 whenever your rear tire is changed.

Gents

I have followed this thread with interest. Is the offending bearing thought to be the caged needle bearing at the end of the pinion shaft?

Kind regards

Hugh

I had a series of V65 Sabres that I toured all over on. Bought them all used. The third one, when I changed the rear tire for the first time, the splines looked like that, with only about 30K on the bike. I applied moly paste and rode it another 50K before they stripped. But they did finally strip. I had parted the previous two V65 Sabres, so I just swapped in the rear wheel and final drive from one of the others. The job took less time and cursing than replacing a chain and sprockets would have.

I think if you apply moly with every tire change, you will find the problem at a tire change, long before it strands you.

Is the offending bearing thought to be the caged needle bearing at the end of the pinion shaft?

That's the one, Hugh. It's a $96 bearing.

I've put over 500 miles on the bike since I picked it up and it sure runs good. :)

Back
Top Bottom