Recommend Prep for first long distance ride?

Hi All,

Maybe this thread is already out there: I want to do longer rides. In a week, I have the chance to do Shiloh, IL to McConnell AFB, KS: 460 miles.

New to motorcycles and new to distance. It’s a work trip too, so they are paying for gas and mileage. I’m fine doing 12 hrs a day in cars.

Recommendations for prep and execution?

Bike: 2010 NT, stock, 18.5k. Put on 600 miles since I bought it last month.

Thanks!

ett

• Carry a spare wallet with extra cash and credit cards, in a place completely separate from your regular wallet.
  • Inform your credit card companies you're taking a trip.
    I once had a credit card start denying purchases mid-trip.
    BECAUSE they said my stopping for gas, multiple times per day, along major interstates is a sign of a stolen card.
  • If possible; pay for gas with cash OR inside with credit card. Do not swipe cards at pump.
    The pre-authorizations can add up and use all your available credit.
    My routine was to pre-pay with cash, and after filling up go back inside to get the the cash returned, and then charge my credit card.
    That way the card is only pre-authorized for the exact amount gas.
  • Pack clothing in air tight, zip lock bags. You'd be amazed at the extra space obtained by compressing things such as socks, underwear, and t-shirts.
    PLUS; while the NT's saddlebags are waterproof. I can guarantee that any additional soft luggage (ie tankbag, tailpack, etc..) is NOT water proof.
  • For really long trips, such as multi-week ventures. Do not pack enough clothing for the entire trip.
    Instead; only pack a few days worth and make use of laundromats OR pack old socks and underwear, throw out when dirty, and buy new along the trip.
  • Become a AAA member and make use of their free road maps.
  • AMA also has their version of roadside assistance. But the AAA Plus-RV covers longer towing distances.
  • Pack rain gear if your regular riding gear is not completely water proof.
  • Also, I've NEVER found a pair of boots or gloves that are truly waterproof.
    So if you get caught in a hard enough rain storm. Just know you're gonna have wet feet and hands long after the storm ends.
    I carry a pair of jet ski gloves for riding in such storms.
  • Remember: You are never lost if you have a full tank of gas and a credit card. :p

Bike
19 Versys 1K SE, 14 FJR
When are you going. I have ridden out there in Missouri, Kansas and Eastern Colorado. A lot of nothing out there. Spent the night at Scott AFB and made the run to Denver in one day. A long hot day in July. Make sure you bring a Hydration Pack (Camelback) or enough water to keep hydrated. otherwise if you break down out there it will be a long walk without water. I am assuming you are Airforce. The BX has some very good ones.

mikesim

Site Supporter
Bike
NT700, Red, #989,
All of ett's suggestions are spot on. When buying fuel, I have found that getting the major oil companies credit cards and then using their app on your phone is the way to go. Most of the majors will give you discount for using their card and also an additional discount if you use their app. Also, no credit card need be presented or swiped eliminating the possibility of a skimmer. ett also advises that the saddlebags are waterproof.... mostly, but don't count on that. There is a pass thru tunnel from the left to right pannier. The tunnel is joined together by a slip joint. I have found that in a real gulley washer some spray from the rear wheel will penetrate the tunnel and find a way to your nice dry skivvies, Speaking of skivvies, on very hot days your posterior will likely sweat a lot so a good dose of baby powder or Gold Bond powder on yyour tush will help stave off diaper rash. Wicking underwear like LD Comfort is also a good idea as well as a beaded seat to allow some airflow to keep your backside dry. When buying rain gear, don't skimp. The old adage, "you get what you pay for" is very true when it comes to staying dry. Regarding gloves and boots staying dry, I have been using Sidi boots and Klim Rain gloves and both have kept me dry as a bone. Both use genuine Goretex and unfortunately aren't cheap.... but..... they are dry.

Have a great trip and be prepared to get hooked on long distance motorcycle touring.

Mike

PS One other thing came to mind. Get a tank bag for long distance travel. It is handy for incidentals on the road.

OP
OP
Tuchango
Great stuff gents. If I pull the trigger, I’ll depart next Monday, work for 3 days at McConnell, and Friday head home.

OP
OP
Tuchango
When are you going. I have ridden out there in Missouri, Kansas and Eastern Colorado. A lot of nothing out there. Spent the night at Scott AFB and made the run to Denver in one day. A long hot day in July. Make sure you bring a Hydration Pack (Camelback) or enough water to keep hydrated. otherwise if you break down out there it will be a long walk without water. I am assuming you are Airforce. The BX has some very good ones.
How did you handle STL? I-70 and battle the death drivers or another way? Did you do this on an NT?

Bike
19 Versys 1K SE, 14 FJR
I left Scott at 0400 hrs so I was able to get thru STL early on a Sunday Morning. I was riding my Honda ST1300 at the time. I had left the NT at home for that trip.

SAM_2300.JPG

Coyote Chris

Site Supporter
Bike
10 Red NT 14 FJR, 17 XT
  • Carry a spare wallet with extra cash and credit cards, in a place completely separate from your regular wallet.
  • Inform your credit card companies you're taking a trip.
    I once had a credit card start denying purchases mid-trip.
    BECAUSE they said my stopping for gas, multiple times per day, along major interstates is a sign of a stolen card.
  • If possible; pay for gas with cash OR inside with credit card. Do not swipe cards at pump.
    The pre-authorizations can add up and use all your available credit.
    My routine was to pre-pay with cash, and after filling up go back inside to get the the cash returned, and then charge my credit card.
    That way the card is only pre-authorized for the exact amount gas.
  • Pack clothing in air tight, zip lock bags. You'd be amazed at the extra space obtained by compressing things such as socks, underwear, and t-shirts.
    PLUS; while the NT's saddlebags are waterproof. I can guarantee that any additional soft luggage (ie tankbag, tailpack, etc..) is NOT water proof.
  • For really long trips, such as multi-week ventures. Do not pack enough clothing for the entire trip.
    Instead; only pack a few days worth and make use of laundromats OR pack old socks and underwear, throw out when dirty, and buy new along the trip.
  • Become a AAA member and make use of their free road maps.
  • AMA also has their version of roadside assistance. But the AAA Plus-RV covers longer towing distances.
  • Pack rain gear if your regular riding gear is not completely water proof.
  • Also, I've NEVER found a pair of boots or gloves that are truly waterproof.
    So if you get caught in a hard enough rain storm. Just know you're gonna have wet feet and hands long after the storm ends.
    I carry a pair of jet ski gloves for riding in such storms.
  • Remember: You are never lost if you have a full tank of gas and a credit card. :p
Its like we are brothers. I always give the card readers a shake. Not 100 percent full proof but it they move, dont use them.
Carry two credit cards...no matter how careful you are, you are gonna have them compromised sooner or later....I asked my bank how is this possible? They said that in this day and age, theives have all sorts of ways using high speed computers to randomly hack cards..besides people who sell your information on the web cause they stole it from some entitiy.

I too carry a spare wallet with a copy of my drivers licnese. And I have a chain on my real wallet.
My bike insurance company gives me towing for $12 dollars a year per bike. Ask Frosty how well HIS towing insurance worked by the side of the road near three forks MT.
I too like paper maps. Many states have nice ones free but AAA hands them out like candy.
Nothing beats lists.
I have lots of lists just for different bikes for different types of trips. Let alone flying to a cruise port to go through the panama canal.
Cell phones have changed everything. I carry 2 cause they are basically free. I can access my passwords, bank info, phone numbers, etc if I have one working phone. Even if I had one inactive phone, I can just get to a Mcdonalds or somewhere more secure to get to my needed info via wifi.

Attachments

Reactions: ett

DirtFlier

Site Supporter
Bike
2010 Silver NT700V/ABS
I've experienced several instances where the credit card reader at my local grocery store would "not see" my usual card but worked OK for my backup card.

Mellow

Admin
2024 Mileage
Bike
21 R1250RT
Hi All,

Maybe this thread is already out there: I want to do longer rides. In a week, I have the chance to do Shiloh, IL to McConnell AFB, KS: 460 miles.

New to motorcycles and new to distance. It’s a work trip too, so they are paying for gas and mileage. I’m fine doing 12 hrs a day in cars.

Recommendations for prep and execution?

Bike: 2010 NT, stock, 18.5k. Put on 600 miles since I bought it last month.

Thanks!
I can do 20 hrs on a bike... 3-5 in a car drives me crazy lol

You don't really do all that much different than you would in a car. Make sure it's in good working order and go.

Should be 7-8 hrs total riding time. Cur that in half at least so 3 1/2 hrs on the bike then stop for lunch, then do the rest. Or break it in 3rds.

It doesn't really matter what anyone says here, just get on the bike and ride your own ride and see how comfortable you are, you may be surprised how easy it ends up being. As for traffic, yeah, they all want to kill you so just ride that way and keep your head on a swivel, as you should in any situation, and you'll be just fine.

Also, instead of a straight route via interstates, do something more fun which will also help you be one with the bike:

1693910232204.png

Last edited:
OP
OP
Tuchango
I left Scott at 0400 hrs so I was able to get thru STL early on a Sunday Morning. I was riding my Honda ST1300 at the time. I had left the NT at home for that trip.

SAM_2300.JPG
Leaving early. That makes sense. Just went to Topeka via 70 and it was fairly busy.

Bike
19 Versys 1K SE, 14 FJR
Leaving early. That makes sense. Just went to Topeka via 70 and it was fairly busy.
If I were going to make this ride / trip on the bike I would take the route that Mellow recommended. Two lane, less crowded, better scenery (for what little there is), get to see a little bit more of the country vs droning down the freeway.

Coyote Chris

Site Supporter
Bike
10 Red NT 14 FJR, 17 XT
If I were going to make this ride / trip on the bike I would take the route that Mellow recommended. Two lane, less crowded, better scenery (for what little there is), get to see a little bit more of the country vs droning down the freeway.
IMHO it is safer, also....sounds counter intuitive but I see more nut cases and agressive driving on the freeways. Washington state deaths are way up, btw. When I go to Reno now, I have a quiet interstate drone early the first morning...then nothing but two lane through Oregon and California to stead nv. The worst thing about crowded interstates now is cruise control. People will park in the left lane at some speed and come up on a truck in the right and take for ever to pass it cause they dont want to step on the gas...just leave the speed dialed into the crusie control. This is dangerous for them and for the line of vehicles behind them "pushing" him along by tail gaiting him. When I see that, I just sit back in the right lane and wait for the traffic to clear. Another thing I dont understand is why two trucks have to go miles side by side, making a rolling road block.

DirtFlier

Site Supporter
Bike
2010 Silver NT700V/ABS
As regards CC's comment of "...miles side-by-side.." it's simple. When one semi tries to pass another but only has 0.5-1 mph more top speed, it can take miles to get past!

Last edited:
OP
OP
Tuchango
IMHO it is safer, also....sounds counter intuitive but I see more nut cases and agressive driving on the freeways. Washington state deaths are way up, btw. When I go to Reno now, I have a quiet interstate drone early the first morning...then nothing but two lane through Oregon and California to stead nv. The worst thing about crowded interstates now is cruise control. People will park in the left lane at some speed and come up on a truck in the right and take for ever to pass it cause they dont want to step on the gas...just leave the speed dialed into the crusie control. This is dangerous for them and for the line of vehicles behind them "pushing" him along by tail gaiting him. When I see that, I just sit back in the right lane and wait for the traffic to clear. Another thing I dont understand is why two trucks have to go miles side by side, making a rolling road block.
One of my goals is to return home to Oregon and motorcycle through the East side of the state. I imagine you’ve traveled down I-84, etc.

Coyote Chris

Site Supporter
Bike
10 Red NT 14 FJR, 17 XT
One of my goals is to return home to Oregon and motorcycle through the East side of the state. I imagine you’ve traveled down I-84, etc.
In two days I will be taking 97 but lots of nice Eastern OR roads.

Frosty

Site Supporter
Bike
2020 Triumph 900GT
All good info. For me, 460 miles is a long day. I would see about making it a two day more leisurely trip. Stop and see something interesting. It may be a good idea not to push it, especially your first trip out. YMMV.
Say "Hey" to the Tanker clan.

Top Bottom