Recommend Prep for first long distance ride?

I'm no expert, but I've done a few 900 plus mile days and many, many 500 mile days. My best two pieces of advice are:
#1 dehydration creeps up on you and is serious. Don't underestimate the value of water.
#2 don't let the dumb things that drivers around you do upset you. Keep your cool and let them go on. Getting angry won't help a thing, and it will only distract you.

Mellow

Admin
2024 Mileage
Bike
21 R1250RT
Tons of options and they all work - sorta... many use frog toggs but they are thin and weak and will wear but they are more breathable than the other typical rain gear.

Most will do fine but you end up sweating a lot and sometimes you're more wet inside your rain gear lol... if the temps are in the 90s and above, just put your wallet and phone away and get wet.

It's also a pain to get rain gear on, pants, as you have to slide your boots in.

I got tired of all that and decided to purchase the Klim Forecast Jacket and pants - the pants have a full length side zipper which makes them easy to put on and both are goretex which allows for some good breathabililty.

However, they are not cheap so if you just want some basic stuff just get the cheapest rain grear you can find, you only need it once in a while so no need to break the bank.

Reactions: ett
OP
OP
Tuchango
Thanks. Was looking at the Frog Togs. Postponed my long ride to Wichita last week and took my truck instead. The rain was biblical.

ett

It's been YEARS since I needed separate rain gear.
Which happens to coincide with me wearing my first Aerostich Roadcrafter; followed shortly there after buying a house.
Which means I haven't had a vacation in over a decade and a half; and hence not riding in the rain for more than a simple commute to work.
Hence Aerostich Roadcrafter kept me (mostly) dry for that two hour ride in rain.

With that being said. When I did use separate rain gear. Here's what I eventually found to work the best:
  • Bib style overall pants that have suspenders.
  • Top jacket portion that has wide opening cuffs a back vent; that aligned with the back vents of my leather jacket.
    This; while getting the first couple inches of my leather jacket's sleeves wet; did allow a nice air flow up my arms and out my back.
  • Bright colors; preferably yellow; with lots of reflective strips.
If I recall correctly; the last incarnation of my rain gear was a (no longer produced) motorcycle specific Dry Rider top/jacket; mated with generic bib pants that I bought from a place like HomeDepot.
Along with the previously mentioned in my earlier post of jet ski gloves. And I think at one point I even had rain "booties" that fit and velcro'd over my riding boots.

Bike
19 Versys 1K SE, 14 FJR
This is what I have used for years. I don't ride in the rain much anymore if ever now. Even took a ride to the North West Territories (Inuvik) with it. For the once or twice that you ride in the rain it works. Cheap enough also. Can be bought at Lowes, Home Depot, and even Harbor Freight

1695046247321.png

ST1100Y

Site Supporter
Bike
ST1100Y, ST1100R, NT700
  • Carry a spare wallet with extra cash and credit cards, in a place completely separate from your regular wallet.
  • Inform your credit card companies you're taking a trip.
    I once had a credit card start denying purchases mid-trip.
    BECAUSE they said my stopping for gas, multiple times per day, along major interstates is a sign of a stolen card.
  • If possible; pay for gas with cash OR inside with credit card. Do not swipe cards at pump.
    The pre-authorizations can add up and use all your available credit.
    My routine was to pre-pay with cash, and after filling up go back inside to get the the cash returned, and then charge my credit card.
    That way the card is only pre-authorized for the exact amount gas.
  • Pack clothing in air tight, zip lock bags. You'd be amazed at the extra space obtained by compressing things such as socks, underwear, and t-shirts.
    PLUS; while the NT's saddlebags are waterproof. I can guarantee that any additional soft luggage (ie tankbag, tailpack, etc..) is NOT water proof.
  • For really long trips, such as multi-week ventures. Do not pack enough clothing for the entire trip.
    Instead; only pack a few days worth and make use of laundromats OR pack old socks and underwear, throw out when dirty, and buy new along the trip.
  • Become a AAA member and make use of their free road maps.
  • AMA also has their version of roadside assistance. But the AAA Plus-RV covers longer towing distances.
  • Pack rain gear if your regular riding gear is not completely water proof.
  • Also, I've NEVER found a pair of boots or gloves that are truly waterproof.
    So if you get caught in a hard enough rain storm. Just know you're gonna have wet feet and hands long after the storm ends.
    I carry a pair of jet ski gloves for riding in such storms.
  • Remember: You are never lost if you have a full tank of gas and a credit card. :p
... spare key
easy to drop yours into a storm drain or manhole cover ... or brake it while handling locks ...
... copy of your ID (i.e. passport) and vehicle title stored somewhere inconspicuous in your jacket or pant pockets ...
... your medicare card ...
Staying hydrated is one thing, but also replenish your electrolytes ...
My GF frequently suffered leg cramps during the night, when out riding we pop some electrolyte sports drink tablets into a cup, glass or bottle of water on a daily regiment, which makes a tasty, bubbly refreshing drink (various aromas avail), packing way more punch then any RedBull... and her cramps are gone...

Last edited:

mikesim

Site Supporter
Bike
NT700, Red, #989,
It's gonna sound crazy, but Apple cider vinegar works wonders for leg cramps. It's an old Amish folk medicine.

Mike

JQL

Growing old disgracefully
Bike
2010 NT700 & 2019 FJR1300
It's gonna sound crazy, but Apple cider vinegar works wonders for leg cramps. It's an old Amish folk medicine.
It also works for some joint problems. I use a teaspoon of Apple Cider Vinegar with a teaspoon of liquid honey dissolved in a little hot water every morning. It's mildly successful for my leg cramps but fantastic for some of my joint problems. My fingers are back to normal now.

Careful though, you need to talk to your Dr as it's acidic:doh1: (possible stomach problems) It can also leach calcium (possible bone problems) so take calcium and magnesium supplements.

Reactions: ett

JQL

Growing old disgracefully
Bike
2010 NT700 & 2019 FJR1300
An old DR (Despatch Rider) trick is to use a set of light, very thin builder's waterproof over jacket and trousers. Keeps you warm and dry.

Warren

Bike
2019 Yamaha XMAX
The low cost route is to get the spray can water proofer. Often found in camping supplies for use on tents etc. I got mine at Walmart. I also have a rain suit but often I get caught in a shower with no place to pull over to put it on. The water proof spray does a good enough job to get me to a safe place to put the rain suit on. If it’s a light rain I don’t worry about having to stop to put on the suit.

mikesim

Site Supporter
Bike
NT700, Red, #989,
I also have used the spray can water proofer on my textile jackets after they are washed. It reinforces the waterproofing the jacket was made with plus it seems to provide additional UV protection to the nylon fabric.

Mike

ST1100Y

Site Supporter
Bike
ST1100Y, ST1100R, NT700
Careful though, you need to talk to your Dr as it's acidic:doh1: (possible stomach problems) It can also leach calcium (possible bone problems) so take calcium and magnesium supplements.
She previously used Calcium additions with only mediocre relieve, I originally brought those 'Dextro Energy' electrolyte tabs along for our motorcycle touring, and she says that they're great, zero complaints... she now slurps them daily while riding (she always has a waterbottle with it in her tank-bag), 2~3/week during her regular office life...

Reactions: JQL

DirtFlier

Site Supporter
Bike
2010 Silver NT700V/ABS
I've used NikWax for years, first in the bottle and for the past few years as an aerosol spray, and much prefer the latter. The bottle version required dunking your garment in a plastic tub filled with water + Nikwax and was always messy plus I was unsure of how much remained on the garment. Now, I wash my Dariens in the washing machine and while they are still wet, I spray all the surfaces with aerosol Nikwax then wipe off any excess. And it is best done outdoors. :)

ps. By the way, "12 hours in a car" is nothing like the same amount of time on a bike. You'll be whipped after that same amount of time on your NT.

ST1100Y

Site Supporter
Bike
ST1100Y, ST1100R, NT700
I've used NikWax for years, first in the bottle and for the past few years as an aerosol spray, and much prefer the latter. The bottle version required dunking your garment in a plastic tub filled with water + Nikwax and was always messy plus I was unsure of how much remained on the garment. Now, I wash my Dariens in the washing machine and while they are still wet, I spray all the surfaces with aerosol Nikwax then wipe off any excess. And it is best done outdoors. :)
Yeah, the usual "winter task"... ;)
But I always use a designated, GoreTex certified detergent for washing, 40°C/100°F, no/gentle spin, hang the stuff and apply the Spray On thoroughly on the outer Cotura fabric while it's still dripping wet (special care to joints, seams, flaps, front closures)... this gives the best results... you can literally observe how the waterproofing solvent drives the water out the garment...
They also offer a Wash-In waterproofing, but then you have it also on the inner (sweat) liners... feels funny, despite me always wearing long sleeved/legged functional underwear... rather go through above procedure...
Out on the road the stitches get barely damp, even in heavy weathers, and the GoreTex still works perfectly (whilst you'd instantly get that damp & cold sensation with a soaking wet Cotura shell clogging the diaphragm...)

I'm also sold on their Glove Proof, brilliant stuff... I carry like 3 pairs (summer/mesh, light GoreTex, heavy insulated GoreTex)...

I'm also using a dedicated washing detergent for all the transtex underwear...
Those and leather treatments (Daytona GoreTex boots) are from HEY SPORT, German company...

Another nifty item: Edding 8150 silicone oil marker... :cool:
Perfect for all your zippers, boots, jacket, gloves, pannier liners... as well as the neoprene seals of your pannier lids... I even give the visor hinges and seals of my Shoei Neotec II a gentle care with it...

Top Bottom