Repairing the left side (forward) catch, request a pic if anyone would be so kind?!

Bike
Silver NT700VA
The whole process worked like a charm. I never give WD-40 enough credit. I have poured epoxy around the screw holes in the plastic to strengthen it and prevent further cracking. I’ll probably strengthen the exposed face with fiberglass mat and am considering replacing the factory screws with studs & hex nuts. My only concern there is with the available clearance as the hex nut will probably set higher that the path head of the screw it replaces.

Attachments

Bike
KLR650, Red NT700V, YZFR3
Been there, done that, eventually failed anyway, had to add external latches.

Bike
2010 Red NT700V
On my new to me 2010 NT700V, the latches are in perfect shape. I watched a video by SoundGuy who showed the proper way to close the cases... gently with even force across the top of the cover until they click together. Patience Young Grasshopper.

It reminded me of Volvo station wagons I have had. If you pulled down on the open tailgate and let it fall and slam shut, the locking mechanism would come loose over time and the whole tailgate's interior panels and cabling would have to be removed to get to the striker plate. It, of course, never was the same again. But if you pulled down and held onto the tailgate, holding it until it was about a foot from the bumper, then released it, it clicked into place smoothly, and lasted forever.

But try telling that to the teenager who inherited the car.... ;-)

Warren

Bike
2019 Yamaha XMAX
I think that vibration has more to do with them cracking than how they are shut. I was always very careful with mine and frankly as a commuter I mostly used my top box. I virtually never opened the side cases. I still ended up with broken posts on the lids.

Top Bottom