Riding 'WEST"

junglejim

Site Supporter
Bike
Tiger 800, NT sold
Bismark ND tonight. May head up the north shore of Lake Superior tomorrow.

RedLdr1

Site Supporter
Makes shaft drives look pretty good, doesn't it?
No, not a bit... It is fairly easily find a chain or sprocket just about anywhere. Let see you find a u-joint, or a final drive part, locally while on the road, without a nice long wait. :eek1:

Last edited:

Mellow

Admin
2024 Mileage
Bike
21 R1250RT
Yeah, kinda funny how a chain bikes weakness just happen to also be is strength. Lol

junglejim

Site Supporter
Bike
Tiger 800, NT sold
Arrived home Saturday night after a 500 mile day. We were delayed by a 3-hour stop in Fargo ND in a motorcycle shop looking at Triumphs and kicking tires. They had some good deals on non-current bikes, but who wants a bike without all the new stuff. The shop also had Indians and Zeros. Interesting.

We had about 6,500 miles on the trip averaging over 400 miles per day. One day in Eureka CA we only rode about 150 miles gawking at BIG redwoods and playing tourist.

As always we met some interesting people and saw a bunch of new things. There was different scenery and landscapes every day and there is no way to describe it all here even IF I had the ability to remember it and write it all down. We got rained on about 10 times but never hard or enough to get us wet. We camped most of the time (staying in a motel the night Mitch had a broken chain and one night at Phil's house).
(Thanks Phil AND JOANNE, who did most of the work hosting us).

I picked up 3 new states on my "States Visited" map and I'd post it if I could figure out how to. Every time I try to add my map to my profile it says "invalid file" so I quit trying.

Tire evaluation of the Bridgestone T30s is on a different thread.

Attachments

OP
OP
Phil Tarman

Phil Tarman

Site Supporter
Bike
2010 Silver NT700VA (ABS)
Jim, the redwoods are truly awe-inspiring, aren't they? Did you see the floating tree in Crater Lake? And, finally, what canyon is that?

junglejim

Site Supporter
Bike
Tiger 800, NT sold
And, finally, what canyon is that?
The canyon is along the Dolores River in CO (where the "hanging flume" is).
Surprised you didn't know that. Probably just my bad photography.
Our early morning ride over Douglas Pass as the sun was coming up was one of our highlights (you know-the sunrise-that takes place just before your bedtime).

Didn't see the "floating tree" in Crater Lake, but we didn't spend much time there either. It was a zoo there with lots of tourists. It looked to me like there were more foreigners there than US people. I'm not used to seeing that many foreign tourists among our tourists around here.

Yes, the redwoods are spectacular. I worked for an entire career in forestry here in the Lake States, and some of those redwoods had more board feet in one tree than some entire timber sales around here. Equally impressive were some of the Douglas Fir, Western Cedar, Larch, and Hemlocks farther up the west coast, and we didn't even get up as far as the big ones.

OP
OP
Phil Tarman

Phil Tarman

Site Supporter
Bike
2010 Silver NT700VA (ABS)
I thought it was the Dolores, but I didn't see the hanging flume.

I didn't ever think about how much lumber is in a redwood -- it's amazing to me that there are more in one tree than you had in whole timber sales.

You see lots and lots of foreign tourists at the National Parks in Utah and at the Grand Canyon, too.

Top Bottom