Roaming the West

Phil Tarman

Site Supporter
Bike
2010 Silver NT700VA (ABS)
Next attempt tomorrow Grand Tetons. But I must say creeping Through Lamar valley with buffs walking the safety strip was exciting.
It's even more fun if you do it on a bicycle like I did in '94. At least where they were blocking the road there were cars stopped. A few mile further south, they were all over the shoulders lying down. I crept down the stripe in the middle of the road wondering what I'd do if they got up and came after me. They didn't and I breathed a deep sigh of relief. That night, while we camped in Grant Village, a bear came throug our camp site, but we all slept through that.

OP
OP
Coyote Chris

Coyote Chris

Site Supporter
Bike
10 Red NT 14 FJR, 17 XT
Home from the hunt. The secret is to keep tourists between you and the buff. Interesting to watch rangers push the buffs off the road with their cars. Only interesting situation was when he did that, the others came for me walking down the safety strips so I idled past them riding the center line.
a buff hunter.jpg

OP
OP
Coyote Chris

Coyote Chris

Site Supporter
Bike
10 Red NT 14 FJR, 17 XT
Nice trip, Chris. Good pics and some humor, too. Where to next?
Sadly, I had to skip OSHkosh so I could paint the house in August. Then its off to the Reno National Air races in Sept on the FJR for 9 glorious days of camping out in the high desert.

OP
OP
Coyote Chris

Coyote Chris

Site Supporter
Bike
10 Red NT 14 FJR, 17 XT
Was that in Lemhi or over by Chalis?
What campground did you stay in at Salmon?
This is the Hayden fire, 33 miles south of Salmon, 17k acres now.
There is a great campground north of Salmon called Waggonhammer but it was full even for tents so I stayed at a flea bag hotel. I did spend two nights at the NFS "Sitting Bull" campground just east of Ten Sleep, Wy.
West Hallet fire, just south of spokane today. 14 aircraft,,,,200 acres,,,,
Frosty and I stayed at a motel in Challis earlier this summer but I went up a different basin and range from the tetons and went to Salmon.
1690862211792.png

OP
OP
Coyote Chris

Coyote Chris

Site Supporter
Bike
10 Red NT 14 FJR, 17 XT
Ahh. Flying and motorcycles. Two of my favorite activities, also.
Looking for company in Reno, Chris?
What are the dates?
Hopefully you got the PM. They say sept 13-17 but that is a fib.
I arrive Sat the 9th, set up camp, etc. Sun is practice and pilot quals..... its free. So are the pits. Monday and Tuesday are official qualification days where planes take the course for one to two laps and set speeds that will put them in certian positions...Wed am is make up qualifications and wed PM is minor racing and minor air show acts. Things really start rolling on Thursday.
Here is what a typical first sunday and Monday look like.
No Biplanes this year.
a schedule.jpg

Top Bottom