Rock Crawling w/Super Tenere

Mellow

Admin
2024 Mileage
Bike
21 R1250RT
Sorry if you've already seen this on another site. As embarrassing as it was, I'm still proud of it..LOL

I did about 20 miles of dirt roads yesterday going to see my parents in SE Oklahoma.

17 miles was pretty much hard packed dirt, gravel and sections of sand or bigger rocks.

The 1st 1/2 mile of the last 3 was a bit tougher.

Sorry for the video quality, it was mounted to the fairing and it's rubber mounted so it bounced around a lot, next time I'll mount to the crash bars or helmet.

The video doesn't show the rocks all that well, that section was solid rocks, no dirt or grass and the smallest of rocks was in the softball-sized range. Most were smooth and at first it looked like I could just roll right over them.. Well, maybe a more experienced rider could but this was my 1st real try at seeking these types of adventures... next time, I'll turn around. The bike was just eating up the previous miles like it was nothing so I was feeling a bit more confident.

As for damage, the skid plate has a couple good dents in it, the crash bars have scratches and the kickstand has a little part that you're supposed to use your foot on to deploy it, the ST has that too, that was bent upwards and snapped off when I tried to bend it back. Just as well as on the Tenere that part was always in an awkward place and I just used the foot of the kickstand.

Enjoy the video.

[video=youtube;Rwk-E-4hNRY]

Last edited:

mikesim

Site Supporter
Bike
NT700, Red, #989,
You had to drive down this road to get to your parents place? How do they get around, mules? I would have done it years ago on my Yamaha 175 dirt bike, but not on a big lug like your Tenere.... you got more gutz than I got.

Cool vid tho'

Mike

OP
OP
Mellow

Mellow

Admin
2024 Mileage
Bike
21 R1250RT
You had to drive down this road to get to your parents place? How do they get around, mules? I would have done it years ago on my Yamaha 175 dirt bike, but not on a big lug like your Tenere.... you got more gutz than I got.

Cool vid tho'

Mike
They actually only live a mile or so off the Holson Valley Rd (paved), via an easy dirt/rock road. I was just doing some exploring and didn't think it would be bad as I got closer... ha ha ha..

Attachments

mikesim

Site Supporter
Bike
NT700, Red, #989,
Damn! It's even on the map! That road is impassable, not even jackassable!

Mike

Phil Tarman

Site Supporter
Bike
2010 Silver NT700VA (ABS)
Did you have bags on the Ten when you dropped it, Joe? If so, how did they fare?

OP
OP
Mellow

Mellow

Admin
2024 Mileage
Bike
21 R1250RT
Thanks.. I spoke to a friend of mine with lots of experience... I told him one I started I just had to keep going as I didn't think I could turn it around... he told me to put it on the side stand or center stand and pivot it around in that case... doh!!!! LOL

1TRAK

Awesome video Joe,that looks like quite the adventure on the Super T! That took some stones to tackle, looks like ADV RIDER material for sure!

Looking forward to more posts of future adventures! :cool:

Phil Tarman

Site Supporter
Bike
2010 Silver NT700VA (ABS)
I had wondered how you could possibly have turned around. Never would have thought about that. I guess if you explore enough, you'll finally find a trail that runs out.

Bike
2010 Silver NT700VA
That video was great!! You didn't mention any broken parts (on you or the bike) so it was a good experience. Some of us would never beleive roads like that exist if we had never gotten away from where we grew up. I have spent some time in the Texas, Arkansas, Oklahoma area and yes, some people call that kind of road the driveway. I always liked the roads that have what they generally call a "Low water bridge". I call it the "Shallow spot where you can dirve through the creek if the water is not to high". I had a friend that had to ford the creek just to go to work every day. He considered it normal to sleep in the truck for a couple of hours until the water went down and he could drive the last 200 yards to the house.

Anyway, great video.

OP
OP
Mellow

Mellow

Admin
2024 Mileage
Bike
21 R1250RT
That video was great!! You didn't mention any broken parts (on you or the bike) so it was a good experience. Some of us would never beleive roads like that exist if we had never gotten away from where we grew up. I have spent some time in the Texas, Arkansas, Oklahoma area and yes, some people call that kind of road the driveway. I always liked the roads that have what they generally call a "Low water bridge". I call it the "Shallow spot where you can dirve through the creek if the water is not to high". I had a friend that had to ford the creek just to go to work every day. He considered it normal to sleep in the truck for a couple of hours until the water went down and he could drive the last 200 yards to the house.

Anyway, great video.
The creek bed I was in is part of a low water crossing to get to my parents place. There are times when it rains a lot that they are land locked as there's no way to get anything across that small concrete crossing without it floating off.. so, they just chill for a few days. Living in that part of the country, you learn to not have to leave home every day and run errands so not big deal for them.

I did have a few dings and such.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Mellow

Mellow

Admin
2024 Mileage
Bike
21 R1250RT
Joe, you must be pretty fit. That bike weighs as much as the NT and you picked it up from the rocks quickly. A nice baptism for the bike, indeed.
It's all technique, lift with your legs and such, but after a few years of picking up wings and STs this bike seems much lighter.

It's also amazing what adrenaline caused by the fear of being lost and eaten by bear will do to your strength.

Top Bottom