Rumors, innuendo, etc...

Yoda

Site Supporter
Bike
2021 Suzuki 650 VStrom; N
Just back from my local Honda dealer to get oil and filter for a change post Spearfish. I spoke to the owner of the store, who has had the dealership for 14 years. After relating my story of the trip to the NT national gathering, he said that he was told by someone from Honda that the Honda NT700V "will be brought back to the American market in 2014.". Hmmmm, inquiring minds want to know more. Anyone else hear similar rumors?

Bear

Bike
2010 NT-700 V Red
Rich,
Haven't heard anything. Would not be surprised--The Honda folks are about as predictable as the weather. Now--Honda Bikes, they are predictable and reliable.

Bike
Silver NT700V
Could Honda be getting inquiries about "that great looking, sleak road bike that is lighter than an ST?"

Bike
2010 Silver NT700
Hmmm - I have my deepest doubts about the NT returning to the US.

First, there are indeed rumors of the impending end of the Deauville in Europe as read on this thread on the UK Deauville forum - http://www.deauvilleuk.org/forum/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=20631 The NT is (was??) manufactured in Spain. If it is dead in Europe, it sure won't come back here where it didn't sell well.

But even if that isn't true, Honda has moved on with the 700cc bike. They now have the CTX700, CTX700N and NC700X in this country, and the Integra semi-scooter in Europe. These are all based on the same engine, which has both better low end torque than our NT and much better gas mileage. I doubt Honda will bring back the NT - its old technology and there are more modern bikes being imported now.

Having said that - I would love to see a full-fairing true touring bike like our NT, but with the new engine - and yes, I might even plunk down an extra thousand for the dual-clutch transmission.

(Honda - if you do that, please design new paniers.)

Bike
2013 Yamaha FJR1300
I also doubt it - for two reasons:
1. The new CTX/NC platform.
2. I think Honda believes the sport touring market is dead or dying in the U. S.

Bike
19 Versys 1K SE, 14 FJR
All depends on how many they have left over in the Honda Warehouses. Re-data-plate them and sell them to the unspecuting U.S. Riding Public. :doh1:

Warren

Bike
2019 Yamaha XMAX
As long as I can still get parts it doesn't make much difference to me. Its unlikely I would ever purchase another one anyway.

Bike
2011 NT700VA, black
.....Unless "Tomorrow's Touring Twin" doesn't sell so well.

Not sure why motorcycle manufacturers here in the US don't market for the sport-touring sector. If they tell us what we need for long enough, we'll buy it. I'm sure someone in Madison Avenue could come up with a marketing idea that would get more Americans to look into something other than cruisers and "crotch-rockets." How about something like this: A crotch-rocket that will take you far and wide without breaking your back.

Maybe most here in the US just want something to look good on (not that the NT isn't good-looking) for a short trip around town (to the pub.)

DirtFlier

Site Supporter
Bike
2010 Silver NT700V/ABS
[....Re-data-plate them and sell them to the unspecuting U.S. Riding Public....]

It is against the law to change the plate that gives the date of manufacture. And in ref to unsold NTs being in American Honda warehouses, they sold all of them to dealers in 2012. The order quantity of 2010 and 2011 models by American Honda was honestly very small because bringing the NT here was mainly an experiment. It would have done better with a lower MSRP but such is life.

Last edited:
Bike
Sprint GT, 2010 NT, MS950
There are still a bunch of new NTs still available in the Great Lake states; both 2010 and 2011 models. For example, when I was looking for mine of a bit over a month ago I tried to look at a silver ABS, but the salesperson kept trying to steer me to an NC700 that really didn't flip any of my switches. When I pressed a bit, the manager said they had the ABS unit and a silver non-ABS NT available. A dealer in Warsaw, Indiana has a new 2011 and a used 2010 silver, and so on. At Road,Track and Trail in Wisconsin I had a choice of a silver with a few scratches and around 3K on the odometer and my red with 2200on the clock for less than $7k. I don't honestly see Honda trying the NT here again.

But that's OK; I got mine! :spsmile:

kenstone

Before I found and bought my used 2010, Cycle Trader was full of new NTs and I called on one at a dealer I used to "deal" with.
The salesman told me that Honda was holding auctions for dealers of unsold bikes taken back from dealers, some still crated.
I have not checked Cycle Trader since, but new NT were listed as low as $8995 5-6 months ago.

Some dealers have outrages junk fees, that include the $360 Honda charges them for shipping.
I had a RideOn dealership in Vegas add on $1200! in fees.
They had that bike on the floor for 2 years, and were kinda grumpy when I mentioned the auction bikes.

I was waiting on a black NT from auction, to show up at the dealer in Portland, that was going to be $9,000 + $360 for Honda transportation +$61 in doc fees...but found my low mileage 2010 NT, used, locally and bought it.

I have to believe Honda has mostly given up on shaft bikes, as they have found no one wants to pay the price for them, but that's just me.
Ken

RedLdr1

Site Supporter
Not sure why motorcycle manufacturers here in the US don't market for the sport-touring sector.
I think the vast majority do market Sport Touring bikes. Yamaha has the FJR, Kawasaki the Connie, and Suzuki the Bandit 1200...that rounds out the "Big Four" Japanese brands. Triumph, Moto Guzzi, BMW, and other brands also have Sport Touring offerings. Just because Honda appears to have left the segment, with the NT and ST, doesn't mean there are not a lot of other choices...

Mellow

Admin
2024 Mileage
Bike
21 R1250RT
Well, the ST did appear on the Canadian Honda site foe 2013... So not completely dead. Honda knows their business better than we claim to and know what their doing. Sport Touring is a small segment but you can sport tour on any bike so it's a strange segment. Heck, manufacturers can't even agree to what to call their market segments amongst themselves much less across different countries sometimes. There are still ST bikes being built so the is some competition, give Honda some time, they can't come out with a new version of all their bikes every year.

Woodaddict

Site Supporter
2024 Mileage
Bike
Red NT700V & Spyder RTL
I would like to see a 2014/2015 NT. After all the Honda PC800 had 3 years of non production in its 10 year run. So don't count the NT out, would be brought back with minor changes like the PC. I will buy another one as soon as my current NT wears out, almost got my 50,000 miles award @ 49,760

bicyclist

what was their best selling bike. The answer was they didn't have one. Sales are so slow, the only bike that sells more than others is the Goldwing
I wonder about that answer. The CRF250L is selling so fast they can't keep them in stock.

Phil Tarman

Site Supporter
Bike
2010 Silver NT700VA (ABS)
I would love to see a full-fairing true touring bike like our NT, but with the new engine - and yes, I might even plunk down an extra thousand for the dual-clutch transmission.
Doug, I wouldn't want a touring bike built on the NC700 engine. It's less than 50 hp. The Deauville was built in Spain, but since 2010, has been built in Italy. It's been a steady seller in UK and Europe. I have heard rumors of a an update rather than a termination. I would love to see an updated NT imported in 2014. That might be the incentive I'd need to replace good ol' Dudley.

Phil Tarman

Site Supporter
Bike
2010 Silver NT700VA (ABS)
almost got my 50,000 miles award @ 49,760
I've got the 50K stickers with me... let me know an address (I guess I've got it in my PM file, don't I?) and I'll send one to you before I get out of the US into Canada.

Woodaddict

Site Supporter
2024 Mileage
Bike
Red NT700V & Spyder RTL
I've got the 50K stickers with me... let me know an address (I guess I've got it in my PM file, don't I?) and I'll send one to you before I get out of the US into Canada.
I'm taking 3 working days off for vacation, so i will hit 50,000 on 7-24. you do have my address info in a PM, but i would rather try to do the "meet in person" on the east coast side of the epic ride if possible. hey, can't beat a handshake vs a price of a stamp????? i will be watching your spotwalla, i plan on taking a vacation day if you don't pass here in NC on a weekend, because i work the weird shift of 3rd shift. i do plan on a 3-6 hr ride with you or a "finish your day off ride", and then i ride back home. or, if that NT needs some maintenance at my house.

Bike
2010 Silver NT700
Doug, I wouldn't want a touring bike built on the NC700 engine. It's less than 50 hp. The Deauville was built in Spain, but since 2010, has been built in Italy. It's been a steady seller in UK and Europe. I have heard rumors of a an update rather than a termination. I would love to see an updated NT imported in 2014. That might be the incentive I'd need to replace good ol' Dudley.
As always, Phil - you are the paragon of knowledge. Yep - I wandered around the web and found some guesstimates about the CTX700's power, and the highest I saw was 52.

At present, I don't have the need for a replacement for my three-month old NT, but I plan on putting some serious miles on her. (So far, a thousand miles a month, but more to come.) If the Lord lets me keep riding in five years, I too may be looking for a new bike - and an updated NT would be great.

BTW - did you ever find your cell phone?

Top Bottom