Rumors, innuendo, etc...

DirtFlier

Site Supporter
Bike
2010 Silver NT700V/ABS
[...The salesman told me that Honda was holding auctions...of unsold bikes taken back from dealers, some still crated...]

Salesmen seem to live in a world of rumors and half-truths. The only way Honda would take back bikes is if a dealer goes out of business or has his/her Honda contract revoked. If dealers were allowed to sell back their unsold bikes to the manufacturer, the motorcycle business would die.

Dealers are able to return unsold parts to Honda after x-number of years but they only get a 5-10% credit on the returned parts.

kenstone

[...The salesman told me that Honda was holding auctions...of unsold bikes taken back from dealers, some still crated...]

Salesmen seem to live in a world of rumors and half-truths. The only way Honda would take back bikes is if a dealer goes out of business or has his/her Honda contract revoked. If dealers were allowed to sell back their unsold bikes to the manufacturer, the motorcycle business would die.

Dealers are able to return unsold parts to Honda after x-number of years but they only get a 5-10% credit on the returned parts.
We know salesmen never lie, some dealers finance there floor plan/inventory, only make monthly interest payments, and can send them back.
I don't think Honda held them back to sell later (now) because they sold pretty good with the rebates.
I thought it was a logical reason for all the new NTs, at dealers who are/were advertising them on CyclerTrader, as new at about $9k with a warrentee.

Here's about a hundred of them:
http://www.cycletrader.com/Honda-Nt700-Motorcycles----CycleTrader.com/search-results?type=356953&make=Honda|2316874&model=Nt700|764933502&year=2010:2012&modelkeyword=1&sort=featured:desc

Because I bought a used NT, I'm no longer up on what's out there, but they are out there.
I had been checking Cycle Trader a lot when I was looking, there were no new NTs, and asked my local dealer if he could get me a new new one if I paid for it.
He said he could not order one, even if I prepaid.
But then they started showing up on CycleTrader.
just sayin,
Ken

WVRider

Site Supporter
Bike
Silver 2010 NT700V
If any of tomorrows touring bikes note Automatic Transmissions I will be riding my old NT or other older bikes for a long time. Chain drive is another story... I have ridden too many motorcycles to count since back in the 80's and all but one have been shaft drive, with never a malfunction I might add. So it's difficult for me to even consider one with chain drive again which is going to make it difficult if the time comes to purchase another. Honda used to have a rule to manufacture parts for at least 10 years after production ends. I hope that is still true..

Bike
2010 NT700V
WVRider said " Honda used to have a rule to manufacture parts for at least 10 years after production ends. I hope that is still true.. "

Without taking the time to dig around and find out for sure, I THINK that somewhere there is a federal mandate the vehicle manufacturers MUST supply parts for discontinued vehicles for a certain period of time. Seems that I read somewhere that it is 10 years.

DirtFlier

Site Supporter
Bike
2010 Silver NT700V/ABS
[...I THINK that somewhere there is a federal mandate the vehicle manufacturers MUST supply parts for discontinued vehicles for a certain period of time...]

That generally thought to be 7-years but is a complete myth.

If you look at some exotic and not so exotic Italian makes, some parts are generally unavailable as "service parts" almost immediately because those companies want every part made to go onto a complete motorcycle. I had a '97 PC800 until I bought my NT in Dec 2009 and over 90% of parts for the PC800 were still available at that time. The first ones to become unavailable, at least for Honda, are usually the colored parts such as body panels.

I agree with DJ about a preference for shaft driver over chain drive on a road motorcycle.

Bike
2013 Yamaha FJR1300
I realize that chain technology has evolved greatly since I started riding in 1967, but the words "sport tourer" and "chain drive" just do not work in the same sentence.

I think the vast majority do market Sport Touring bikes. Yamaha has the FJR, Kawasaki the Connie, and Suzuki the Bandit 1200...
Using the Bandit as a sports tourer does not make it one.

My second bike was a sports tourer (I just didn't know it at the time) - a 1970 Triumph Bonneville. I bolted on a set of Harley Sportster saddlebags. It was pretty sporty and I rode all over a fair part of the eastern U.S.

Last edited:

RedLdr1

Site Supporter
Using the Bandit as a sports tourer does not make it one.
Suzuki's claim, not mine...although I do think it would be a better "sport tourer" than some of the other semi-current offerings.

My second bike was a sports tourer (I just didn't know it at the time) - a 1970 Triumph Bonneville. I bolted on a set of Harley Sportster saddlebags. It was pretty sporty and I rode all over a fair part of the eastern U.S.
Sorry, it was not a "sports tourer" by definition. You said "the words "sport tourer" and "chain drive" just do not work in the same sentence." and I am pretty darn sure all Bonnie's had chains... ;) You just disqualified your Bonnie!:eek1: :D I think it may be harder to define "sport tourer" than to find one....:D

Bike
2013 Yamaha FJR1300
True. But remember in 1970, outside of BMW and Moto Guzzi, there were very few shaft drive bikes.

Phil Tarman

Site Supporter
Bike
2010 Silver NT700VA (ABS)
I'm looking forward to meeting you and riding together. We'll see about the maintenance... if I need any on the east coast, your house sounds like a great place to do it.

Oh, thanks for saving me the postage!

mikesim

Site Supporter
Bike
NT700, Red, #989,
I would hate to see Honda abandon the sport touring segment, but it appears that's what they have done at least here is the US.

Bike
2015 Yamaha FZ-07
I hope the rumor of a new bike is for either the crossrunner or the crosstour ( with a u.s. name like abc123....lol) the poor stealers are having a heck of a time with the alphanumeric names.

JQL

Growing old disgracefully
Bike
2010 NT700 & 2019 FJR1300
It's quite simple for me:

No shaft drive, no deal - I buy a different marque...

Yes I have owned sports bikes and most of my bikes have had a chain but, now-a-days, I don't want the hassle. I don't want a scooter either or a scooter/motorcycle cross!

tawilke46

Automatic transmission with a chain drive. Am I the only one that finds that to be a confused message?
Also confused logic........;-). Almost the entire new Honda line up of 500's and 700's is obviously aimed at attracting new riders to the showroom. NOT the Sport Touring market of existing experienced riders.
Most existing ST and NT riders are not likely to buy into Honda's new 500/700 line of bikes.

Rob

Bike
2010 Silver NT700V
I hope the rumor of a new bike is for either the crossrunner or the crosstour ( with a u.s. name like abc123....lol) the poor stealers are having a heck of a time with the alphanumeric names.
Honestly I'm surprised the Crosstourer hasn't been brought over here yet... given how hot the big-bore adventure bike market is.

Honda is missing it completely here. I would think a V4 Honda engine could sell here, and it even has the DCT option.

RedLdr1

Site Supporter
True. But remember in 1970, outside of BMW and Moto Guzzi, there were very few shaft drive bikes.
And forty plus years later there still aren't very many....Hmmm....:wink:

Having owned bikes with belt, chain, and shaft drive when given a choice I'd take a belt drive as my preferred drive on a street bike. Hardly any maintenance, I can still change gear ratios fairly easily if desired, and less overall complexity to deal with...

DirtFlier

Site Supporter
Bike
2010 Silver NT700V/ABS
The specific category, once known as "sport touring," has morphed and no longer looks like what it did 5-10 years ago. A lot of the bikes being used for sport touring are actually adventure touring bikes, such as the Yamaha Super Tenere, Triumph Tiger, Suzuki DL1000, etc. Most of those never make it even onto a dirt road which is OK because they work nicely on the blacktop. Knowing that's the reality, why would any manufacturer invest heavily in a bike with all plastic bodywork, large windscreen, integral bags, etc?

Even 10-years ago, sales of sport touring represented a market penetration number of only 5% at the very most.

kenstone

The specific category, once known as "sport touring," has morphed and no longer looks like what it did 5-10 years ago. A lot of the bikes being used for sport touring are actually adventure touring bikes, such as the Yamaha Super Tenere, Triumph Tiger, Suzuki DL1000, etc. Most of those never make it even onto a dirt road which is OK because they work nicely on the blacktop. Knowing that's the reality, why would any manufacturer invest heavily in a bike with all plastic bodywork, large windscreen, integral bags, etc?

Even 10-years ago, sales of sport touring represented a market penetration number of only 5% at the very most.
Yes, and Goldwings were selling so well that had a plant here in the US...well maybe more than 10 years ago:eek:.
And lets not forget the Valkyrie and it's many variations, that started in '99...another flop:confused:

I always felt (not so much lately) Honda to be too far ahead in marketing, as when you begin considering a model, it's already discontinued because of poor sales:shrug2:
ken

Last edited by a moderator:
Bike
19 Versys 1K SE, 14 FJR

More of an argument to then bring in the Cross Runner (VFR800 motor) and the Cross Tourer (VFR1200 motor). Honda has missed the boat there also.

Bike
'10 NT 84 BMW R100RT Ural
If the CTX had a shaft drive I would of not looked and found a NT. Chains are very old school, instead a simple checks in Michigan riding season, you have a chain to adjust, keep clean, and oiled. I can see dirt bikes have chains, they got such abuse, and require much more maintenance then a road bike.

Bob

Having said that - I would love to see a full-fairing true touring bike like our NT, but with the new engine - and yes, I might even plunk down an extra thousand for the dual-clutch transmission.

(Honda - if you do that, please design new paniers.)
+1 but I fear it will not have a shaft drive.

Top Bottom