Rust-in-Peace's 150K NT, Seagrass from Oz, and Me...

I put this in my introduction post, but thought some who are interested might miss it.

Just checking in with everyone- I'll snap a picture in the morning to show it in the new home.

So far about 400 miles on it since bought it. Rode from Knoxville through the Dragon to Topton NC on day one. Then back to Huntsville later in the week. Did a 120 mile ride Saturday morning, making sure things are sorted out.

Looks like the intermittent start was due to a broken GPS cable that was shorting out when it touched the frame. It was tapped to a hot wire and seems to have lead to the problems. Since removing the wire, I haven't had the problem. Who knows, we will see.

Haven't seen the drop in power since removing the wire either. It may still be there, but once I pass 90 mph, Im good. I haven't pushed it to the red line yet, mostly because it's a 700. If I really wanted speed, I'd ride something larger..... Oh, wait, I do!

Overall, great bike, really like it. handles well, light, short seat height and love the seat and windshield. Very comfortable bike. Kind of surprised they didn't sell more of them.

She's all cleaned up now- took it down to the frame and motor and went through everything, cleaned up some wire splices for the heated grips and gps, then cleaned it. Decarboned the top end with sea foam, plugs looked new, caps were fine, air filter was new or at least very clean, oils look good. next service will be at 160k which will include full fork service and maybe a shock rebuild.

Just ordering a few odds and ends- new foot peg rubber, new side case latches, nothing special, but will make the bike good as new.

Overall, great bike and Will was very honest in his descriptions and assessment of the bike. As far as I am concerned, Mrs KTM loves it, so I'm happy.
Good Luck! I can't hardly wait to see what the bike looks like now! If you want to just text me the pictures I can probably post them here.
i'll be at 150K in 2 weeks!!
Nice good luck! It's probably going to be 2 or more months before I'm able to ride again.

Woodaddict

Site Supporter
2024 Mileage
Bike
Red NT700V & Spyder RTL
why do you say 2 or more months before you can ride????????????????? info, info

I have 2nd degree burns on all of my fingers & some of my palm on my left hand. So I can't use the clutch and I am just taking a guess at a 2 month recovery time. P.S. I don't want to explain how it happened just know it's a long story.

Tonydtiger1971

I have 2nd degree burns on all of my fingers & some of my palm on my left hand. So I can't use the clutch and I am just taking a guess at a 2 month recovery time. P.S. I don't want to explain how it happened just know it's a long story.
There's that hondamatic in Maryville for $900, that might get you through this tough time.

Sorry I haven't been around much, been traveling a lot. Bike is doing great, wife not so much. She broke her foot and won't be riding for a while......

I couldn't figure out how to embed a photo, so I attached it.

NT.jpg

Attachments

Last edited:
OP
OP
Phil Tarman

Phil Tarman

Site Supporter
Bike
2010 Silver NT700VA (ABS)
At 150K+, that bike looks better than mine does at only 115K. It must not take as many naps. :)

Sorry I haven't been around much, been traveling a lot. Bike is doing great, wife not so much. She broke her foot and won't be riding for a while......

I couldn't figure out how to embed a photo, so I attached it.

NT.jpg
Wow!:eek1: That doesn't even hardly look like my NT any more except for the white marks on the side case from when I dropped the bike in the Yukon.

It looked like this on that side when I sold it.

What did you end up having to do to get it to look like that? Because it looks like a brand new bike now.:cool:

OP
OP
Phil Tarman

Phil Tarman

Site Supporter
Bike
2010 Silver NT700VA (ABS)
On Facebook in the Deauville page, somebody posted a picture of a 2007 that had 167K miles on it and said it was the highest mileage Deauville they'd seen. I told them about your 2011 w/ 150K+.

Ahh, it wasn't that bad. Just a few washes with some good soap and *gasp* a pressure washer.

So- here's what I actually did, really it's just a full bike detail.
1- Take the body work off.
2. soap- I like chemical guys stuff with soap and wax. it's great. Use a foam cannon to spray soap everywhere on the bike
3. pressure wash everything off. Oil, grime, whatever.
4. Do it again
5 Put Body work back on
6. Soap, pressure wash, soap, hand wash, soap pressure wash.
7. Now that it's clean, dry it off.

To detail/clean wheels- muriatic acid sprayed on the wheels dissolves brake dust instantly. Just spray it on, wipe it off. Then wash the wheels with water. Can't leave it on or it will eat through aluminum.

Windshield- plexus, that's it.

All in all, it took about an hour to an hour and a half.

After that, I broke out the cheap carbon fiber wrap from Ebay. It's good for making things look new and changing the look a little bit. wrapped the plastic parts that were faded grey.

Doesn't look too bad huh!

Since the cf wrap stuff is black, you may have to zoom in to see it all. that took a couple of hours because I am really slow at it.

Last edited:
Ok- so how do you embed photos? I have a smug mug account and used the picture thing in the tool bar to no avail.

Pointers?

RedLdr1

Site Supporter
Ok- so how do you embed photos? I have a smug mug account and used the picture thing in the tool bar to no avail.

Pointers?
I use Flikr so there may be some differences... To embed a photo I upload it to Flikr and post it in my Public, as in anyone can view, Album / folder. Then I select the photo and click on the Share Photo icon. Next I select "Use BBCode" for the posting format and select the display size of the photo. Note: If you pick a "supersize" the software here will resize it to our max site limit. I then copy the BBcode displayed on Flikr and just paste / insert it in my text.

NT700Vhttps://www.flickr.com/photos/wecnwise/

Let me know if you need any more help and we can go offline and look at your Smug Mug to compare it...

Got it! I wasn't using the BB code. I was using the URL and trying to use the upload button on the tool bar. On other sites that embeds the photo in the post.

Thank you for the help!

Bike
2010 Silver NT700
when I had my NT I painted the plastic pieces. I really like the look of the carbon fiber wrap on the black bike. Good job.

One of our guys on the UK forum is a courier and managed 267,000 miles on his original Deauville 650. His second 650 wasn't so good and gave him problems at 167,000 miles and was parted out. He replaced it with a 700, which he prefers, but it's way too early to talk about reliability with only 45k on the clocks. I've always believed, although I don't know if it's true, that the more you ride them, the fewer problems you'll have.

Top Bottom