Sargent seats from MCL

prof98801

I am thinking about getting a new seat for my NT. Was interested in the Sargent seat from MCL. Has anyone purchased the low profile Sargent seat from MCL? They say it lowers you about 3/4" and may feel more firm. Is this extra firmness good or bad according to those that have gone this route?

If you purchased the standard seat from MCL, have you been satisfied? Are you still at the same seat height as the OEM seat?

Phil Tarman

Site Supporter
Bike
2010 Silver NT700VA (ABS)
I haven't ridden on a Sargent seat, but in general, I think firm is better for longer rides. That's one of the things that makes the Russell such a good seat.

Bike
Silver NT700V
I have Sargent low seat. I got mine from Sargent buy having the premium foam upgrade done to a stock seat. It is virtually the same seat though. I like the seat. It is MUCH more firm than stock. The soft feel on the stock seat is actually the problem. It feels great in the showroom and for short rides. On long rides (200 miles and up) it doesn't support well enough and numb butt is the result. I like the lower seat since I am short (5' 6") and it lets me have a more firm foot purchase. Still not flat foot but better.

All that said, I am still flirting with getting a Russell. My main concern is the height.

Good luck,

Chuck

docta

You may want to consider checking with Spencer in Stuart, Florida.......sent mine to him and had it back within a week......never been happier with a seat.....he also lowers seats and uses a premium foam that works for me, though mine was not lowered.......$75 plus whatever it costs you for shipping both ways.....worth a look......he is very thorough in gathering your information and also likes to have photos of you on the bike.......will be heading out from the Retirement Home for an Iron Butt ride on mine next month......
Always ride safely and keep your airspeed under control.

TW

Frosty

Site Supporter
Bike
2020 Triumph 900GT
Prof

I just made an appointment at Rich's Custom Seats on Puget Sound. (Lower seat height, reshape, gel pad, leather cover.) I will ride over from Spokane the first week in Sep. They do same day rebuild and apparently have overnight facilities, if required. Good rep, I have heard good things in motorcycle shops here, 300 miles away.
There are threads about Rich's in this forum. They custom fit every seat. The prices seem competitive with other choices.
Here is their website:
http://www.richscustomseats.com/index.asp

It may be an option since you are not that far away. The shop is open Tues - Sat.

OP
OP

prof98801

Frosty,

What day/days are you going over to Rich's? Have you decided exactly what you will have them do? Have you made an appointment?

Frosty

Site Supporter
Bike
2020 Triumph 900GT
Prof,

My appointment is Wed, 9/11, first thing in the morning. I will stay the Tues night at Marysville (Navy Smokey Point) and catch an early ferry from Edmonds (Everette).
I will have them reshape the seat, lower the seat height (more foot contact at stops), insert gel pad, and cover with leather. This seems fairly typical.
I may return north through Whidbey Island. Spend the night in Oak Harbor and take Rt 20 over Deception Pass and through the North Cascades.

OP
OP

prof98801

How long was the wait for your appointment? I am debating on the custom from Rich's or the Sargent seat from MCL. Will you let me know how it turns out? I may call them this week and see if they are full on the 11th. Never know, we may be able to go over together.

OP
OP

prof98801

Frosty,

Just realized the the 11th is a Sunday. Do you mean your appointment is on Wed, 9/14?

Frosty

Site Supporter
Bike
2020 Triumph 900GT
Prof,

Correction, my appointment is Wed, 9/7 at 0900.

I just made the appt last Fri (8/26) afternoon. Give them a call on Tues, they did have a couple of times + or - 30 minutes.
I was planning on staying at the Smokey Point Navy Lodge. I would be happy to sponsor you. Rates on on their web site.
If you want more details, just PM me. The "plan" is a loose one.

Warren

Bike
2019 Yamaha XMAX
I am thinking about getting a new seat for my NT. Was interested in the Sargent seat from MCL. Has anyone purchased the low profile Sargent seat from MCL? They say it lowers you about 3/4" and may feel more firm. Is this extra firmness good or bad according to those that have gone this route?

If you purchased the standard seat from MCL, have you been satisfied? Are you still at the same seat height as the OEM seat?
I purchased the regular Sargent seat from MCL. I like it a lot and I am very satisfied. It has a marine grade vinyl cover so getting it wet is not an issue and it is pretty much the same shape as the original so it does not change the overall contour which I liked. It is also made on the OEM seatpan so taking it off and putting it back on is a snap.

Phil Tarman

Site Supporter
Bike
2010 Silver NT700VA (ABS)
I purchased the regular Sargent seat from MCL. I like it a lot and I am very satisfied. It has a marine grade vinyl cover so getting it wet is not an issue and it is pretty much the same shape as the original so it does not change the overall contour which I liked. It is also made on the OEM seatpan so taking it off and putting it back on is a snap.
So what's different about the Sargent seat?

Bike
Red NT700V 2010, #1004.
You may want to consider checking with Spencer in Stuart, Florida.......sent mine to him and had it back within a week......never been happier with a seat.....he also lowers seats and uses a premium foam that works for me, though mine was not lowered.......$75 plus whatever it costs you for shipping both ways.....worth a look......he is very thorough in gathering your information and also likes to have photos of you on the bike.......will be heading out from the Retirement Home for an Iron Butt ride on mine next month......
Always ride safely and keep your airspeed under control.

TW
I second "docta"'s opinion on Spencer's rebuild. I've had mine about 2 weeks of riding to work, and it feels much better than the original, but looks original. For the $75.00 driver's section only upgrade, the price was right. The shipping for me was $36.00 each way. I believe Spencer has a good value rebuild and had it back on the Brown Truck in 24 hours. No more crotch area going sleep.

OP
OP

prof98801

If the Sargent seat from MCL looks just like the OEM and is on the OEM seat pan, then what is the main difference that makes the $479+ worthwhile?

Warren

Bike
2019 Yamaha XMAX
If the Sargent seat from MCL looks just like the OEM and is on the OEM seat pan, then what is the main difference that makes the $479+ worthwhile?
The internal padding. Its a denser foam and where you sit is shaped slight different. It does not contact my inner thighs like the OEM seat. The cover is also a better quality. I also found I do not slip forward like on the OEM seat. A seat does not have to look different to be more comfortable. You can get more info on their seats by reading their Q&A page. http://www.sargentcycle.com/wsfaq.htm

Last edited:
Bike
Silver NT700V
Went out and ran up some quick pics of my Sargent compared to stock (ain't digital great) (not to mention I kept the stock). The Sargent is quite different. Bear in mind as you look at these that my Sargent is the low version, the rise (stepped portion) is moved forward an inch, and they opened the front of the pocket to cure some hot spots. Your hot, if any, spots will be different. The seating area is wider, flatter, and more firm than the stock seat.

The pics

OP
OP

prof98801

The back part of your Sargent seat where your butt would be against looks like it goes fairly straight up. Is that correct? Does your butt rest against it when riding? Is it almost like a short butt/back rest?

Top Bottom