Schuberth C-3

Bike
2011 NT, 01 Ultra, 04 VLX
Many of you question why pay the price of a new Schuberth helmlet. I bought mine at Denver at the IBA national meetin in 2012. As I started the ride to TNT on first day outbound I somehow managed to have the visor go inoperable, wouldn't rais or lower, I had to duct tape it togather to get through the day , a sunday, with nothing open. .The next day I found a place to get a replacement . The shop I got it from shipped my C-3 home for me at no charge.Upon my return home I contacted Schuberth USA. They told me I was under a 5 year warranty and to ship it to them for repairs. I was on my original face shield and pinlock that were getting near replacement stage, Upon receiving my C-3 the rep tech emailed me and we discussed his findings. a piece of the latch had broken and was lost, and that would be repaired / small parts replaced under warranty. They suggested that my face shield & pinlock be replaced as well as the interior lining was getting well worn and would be best replaced. I said that is all fine fix as good as you can. It arrived here at my doorstep with my old parts well wrapped aa well as the helmlet with a new owners manual that I had requested .I had cleaned the exterior with Honda wax/polish but it was still looking grubby. It now looks like brand new with only a couple of minor blemishes that you must really be looking for.. My costs were freight to & from Aliso Viejo CA. The workmanship is top of the line and it is just like new $($49.00 for liner and check pad set 89 for new face shield all installed and ready to use/I have over 40,000 miles on NT with this C-3, plus maybe 15 K on Harley and others

Much less than what I paid for a inferior noisy, heavy Bell helmlet and my
C-3 is like the day I first bought it. For Schulberth customers, you might want to consider having your C-3's serviced and repaired by the professionals, I think it is well worth the expense. Thier customer service is great and friendly, and they keep you up to date on what is happening. Nothing like some whom I wont bother mentioning by name. My statement regarding HI END equiptment, is pay the price and know you have the best your $$$ can buy in service and protection.

ELDON

Phil Tarman

Site Supporter
Bike
2010 Silver NT700VA (ABS)
Maybe this fall, I'll send my Schuberth in for that service. I've got a Nolan I could wear that's still in pretty good shape, but Schuberth would probably be due for a new liner at least.

I've been very happy with it.

Bike
2) 2010 red NT's
We visited the Schuberth booth at the Redmond BMW MOA rally a couple years ago to check out the C3's. Pete had his C2 with him. They replaced the liner, the visor, the black latch thingie at the top (that opens the top vent) and the chin strap. Cleaned it all up too. When the sales guy handed it back to him, I took my wallet out and asked how much. He said it was a complimentary service at the rally. Freaking amazing.

I want to replace the beige liner with that purdy new burgundy one. I like that color a lot better. Maybe if I'm not broke when I get back from SoCal..... lol.

OP
OP
Bike
Rich,

I really like that old chines proverb, I don't believe I ever heard it put that way before, one that comes to my mind is After you have tried the rest try the best!

Eldon

Bike
1984 Moto Guzzi T5
If i could keep from dropping my helmets i might be tempted to buy one. But that kind of money spent every 5 or 6 yrs is a bit much, especially when cheaper helmets do just as well for that long.

JQL

Growing old disgracefully
Bike
2010 NT700 & 2019 FJR1300
If i could keep from dropping my helmets i might be tempted to buy one. But that kind of money spent every 5 or 6 yrs is a bit much, especially when cheaper helmets do just as well for that long.
I have had cheap helmets - very, very cheap (costing about $60 in today's money), I have had brand name helmets like Bell and AGV, and I have had very expensive helmets like Schuberth C3. Where you really notice the difference is on the bike, not in the shop.

So from the cheapest to the most expensive:

• The cheap B-Square is OK for short trips (no more than about an hour) after which it becomes very uncomfortable.
  • The Bell used to hurt my ears after 2 or 3 hours.
  • The AGV was OK for an hour or so then give me a headache from the pressure on my forehead.
  • The Nolan N103 was good and quite comfortable but was cold in the winter and hot in the summer.
  • The Schuberth C3 is by far and away the most comfortable helmet I've ever owned bar none. I can (and do) wear it all day with no discomfort what-so-ever. In winter it is warm and snug (even down to -5?F/-20?C), in summer it is cool with good ventilation.
None of this information could be gleaned by trying on a helmet in the shop for 5 minutes and only comes from prolonged use. I don't begrudge one penny of the cost of the Schuberth C3 helmet and will buy another one like a shot.

I do understand that there are those who have other opinions on how to spend their money. You pays your money and you takes your choice...

Last edited:
Bike
1984 Moto Guzzi T5
My Shoei, HJC 3/4 and HJC Symax III are al good for all day comfort for multiple days. The Symax is quieter than the other two.

I was ready to spend more but could not reason why I should.

Bike
2010 Red NT700
Another factor that folks sometimes dont appreciate is the individual rider's financial status. For some of us a high end helmet is just not in the cards

Bike
2) 2010 red NT's
Yeah, the price is a shock.... lol.

I was pretty happy with my 150$ Caberg modular. It was comfortable, so much quieter than the Nolan modular, and it had an internal sunvisor. I really liked that helmet. Then the spouse bought me the C3W. First ride on it, I was blown away by how quiet it was. Without earplugs. Small amount of wind noise when I had the visor cracked open, but with it shut snug, there was only a bit of wind noise. Best described as much like the humming/buzzing noise you hear while on a pressurized aircraft. Only quieter.

I did have to cut out a bit of the liner padding, though. It was a bit too tight on my forehead and the arms on my sunglasses are kind of wide, so I took a small bit of foam out of the liner.

I can now put in earbuds and not have to turn the volume up to eardrum shattering loud to be able to hear the quieter songs and audio books.

Phil Tarman

Site Supporter
Bike
2010 Silver NT700VA (ABS)
I haven't tried the Symax III, but my original Symax was OK until it rained. Then I got wet on the inside of the helmet. My Nolan N-102 and N-103 were both better. The Schuberth is the best. I'm with those who'd buy another one tomorrow. I don't know if I'd upgrade to the C-3 Pro. I don't think I'd ever want the sound system and it looks like most of the increased expense is due to that.

Yoda

Site Supporter
Bike
2021 Suzuki 650 VStrom; N
After all the glowing testimonials here, I searched out the Schuberth website for more info. I found a very professional, typical German company. Superb engineering and design, impeccable quality, factory service in California, plus a 7 year warranty.

My HJC CL-16 full face helmet has been acceptable, especially in light of its low $130 price. I really wasn't in the market for a new helmet at all. For nearly two years, it has been warm in the winter, dry in the rain, but hot during the summer. It is difficult to put on, especially the *$@%$ D rings. I do not have any others to compare the noise level to, but I had to wear earplugs to protect my hearing from worsening tinnitus. I would not call it quiet by any means.

Unfortunately, Schuberth only lists ONE dealer within hundreds of miles, that being the local BMW Motorrad store. Not good for competition. Although they DO have a reputation for high quality and high prices, I did get a good deal on my boots and Olympia riding suit there a year ago.

But, I was surprised when I went in to check out the C-3: they were on sale! I was told that the newer C-3 Pro would be taking the place of the C-3, therefore the closeout price of $525. They were down to their last few in stock, 3 size large, and one XL. Even though their sizing chart said that my 59 cm head size should use a large, I couldn't wear it for more than a few minutes without a lot of pressure. The XL felt much better, plus it was the only one in stock in Hi-Viz yellow. Others here have said they run a bit small, or just intentionally tight by design. I can confirm that.

After sleeping on it overnight, I went back to Sandia BMW, put it on and wore it around the dealership for about 45 minutes. There would be NO exchange or refund at this price, so I wanted to be sure. I asked if that was the lowest price, and Gary said he could go as low as $500 plus tax. That clinched it. A very high quality helmet that offered so many more features than my old one, at a price I felt was too good to pass up. Done deal. I walked out with my new High Viz C-3.

Only time will tell if it is worth that much money (even discounted) to me. I wore it around town today in high 90's temps, putting on my first 50 miles or so. No tight spots, easy to put on with glasses, but still hot in city traffic. Noise level initially seems about the same at city speeds. I am looking forward to a lot of comfortable and safe miles to come.

OP
OP
Bike
That is a wonderful buy, What a way to get spoiled for life it will grow on you!I you put in ear plugs you will really love it, I many times will be too lazy, or in too big a hurry , or just have a senior moment and forget the darn plugs whether on NT ,or ultra classic and I can get away with out them, I rode 140 today on my CRF 250 and it with no wind screen and all was well although my tinitis is a bit strong with the ringing this evening. lesson learned I will put in plugs next time on it.

Eldon

OP
OP
Bike
Here is a update on Schuberth service.about three weeks ago I had a problem with the lining in my C-3. I somehow managed to pull the liner loose in the rear of itand I tried to get it to go back togather and couldn't make it happen. I called Shuberth North America and ask for the person who had helped me with the broken modular unit. when he came on the phone I told him who I was and supprisingly he remembered me. He ask how it was working & I told him that part was great, but that the neck roll wouldn't slip back into place. He said send it to meI said OK and it went into the mail that same afternoon. , a Friday, On Tuesday I got a call from him that he had it in hand and that he was going to replace the neck roll, that is the proper name for the padding piece that fits in the lower back section. He said there were a couple of other things he would also replace and the whole bill would be covered under warranty. I got it back today. In addition to the neck roll they replaced the Base plates, & chin strap system and paid the freight to ship it back to me! In addition the whole helmlet is freshly polished and the face shield buffed out removing a couple of rock chips scratches that I had managed to get in the clear face shield!

No fuss no arguments or debates! merly the same full courteous service as if I had just bought it a week ago. It was at their facility from Tuesday morning 14 Oct until Wednesday 15 Oct and shipped from there on Wednesday and arrived here today 7 days later via UPS ground!
When it is new lid time I WILL buy another Schuberth.

Eldon

Bike
2) 2010 red NT's
I've already got a few bucks in the savings account earmarked for the next C3. In the mean time..... spouse picked up new 'innards' for both our current C3's. Neck roll, liner, cheek pads. And new tinted visors. feels like a brand new helmet.

Bike
1984 Moto Guzzi T5
FWIW, if I spent that kind of money on a helmet I'd be PO'd if the did NOT do everything, and more, mentioned in this thread. Including a complete refurbishment at the 6yr and 9 month point so it would last another 7 years. Said refurbishment to mean replacing everything except the shell.

Anything less and I would feel cheated.

Meanwhile my $100 helmet is doing great and will probably have it for another 6 or 7 years. :)

JQL

Growing old disgracefully
Bike
2010 NT700 & 2019 FJR1300
I went to my local Schuberth dealer at the weekend and, had I not been spending just over $1000* on a 48,000 mile service, new front brake pads, new PR4 front tyre etc. etc. I would have bought the new C3 Pro there and then. They were on sale for about $415*! Anyhow, They've even offered to refurbish my old one, though for a price...

I'm in the dealers again in about a fortnight to kit up for winter - Backpack, Jacket, Trousers, Boots and Gloves (all Gortex and warm). If I can do the whole lot including the helmet for $1200*. They'll get a big sale. Oh, my dealers in Montlhery near Paris, France have a sale on at the moment, it finishes the middle of November. So I'm hopeful...

*Using the exchange rate of 1€ = $1.26.

Bike
NT700va
I am very surprised there is little talk about the Scorpion Helmets. I would judge the quality to be equal to all discussed, lots of features including air pump to inflate chamber inside, drop-down sunshade, etc. All for under $300. Think I paid $260 for mine. fits well. I guess looking at FJR's and 1200's does not give one much time to consider these. ( biggest downside is they are made by the Chinese Red Army as is half the stuff we now buy). They own about 40% of manufacturing in China .

Top Bottom