Season almost done for many in the North

Bike
'10 NT 84 BMW R100RT Ural
What are you going to install or upgrade in the winter. Horn, lights, seat, etc. What does the NT need to be a better tourer (6th gear or horse power does not count).
Seems there is always we want to change. I know some may find they are satisfied with there ride, but I will guess many are thinking about adding Farkles.
What you add might give someone else an idea for what they might need or was thinking about.

junglejim

Site Supporter
Bike
Tiger 800, NT sold
I'm going to fix my pannier latches and change spark plugs.
No new farkles under consideration - yet.
I've already added:
Russell Day Long saddle
Cee Bailey windscreen
Bar risers
Denali DM1s
Side stand pad
Kaoko throtle lock
Home made luggage rack.

The only thing lacking is good weather.

Phil Tarman

Site Supporter
Bike
2010 Silver NT700VA (ABS)
Yeah, but don't you have the Dry-Spec bags from Twisted Throttle?

Bike
19 Versys 1K SE, 14 FJR
Going to ride mine whenever the weather will allow, Already did the 24k mile service last month. Might need to put a rear tire on it in the early spring.

OP
OP
Miairhead
Bike
I don't think you need a blender or ice if you forget a space for the booze. Maybe that is what the top box is for, and the tank bag is the condiments.

Phil Tarman

Site Supporter
Bike
2010 Silver NT700VA (ABS)
Regarding farkles, my Russell DayLong is out in Shasta City, CA, having the rider's seat area recovered. Because of my balky right knee's refusal to bend more than 90-degrees, I have to do the less-than-graceful Tarman mount-and-dismount to get on and off the bike. That means that I hop closer to the seat while getting on the bike and farther away from it while getting off, and all the while my right leg is dragging its Cordura-clad weight back and forth across the seam on the right side of the seating area.

That seam had started to fray before I headed for Spearfish last summer and by the time I got to Madawaska it was getting worse. Before I left here I had treated the seam to a few layers of liquid electrical tape and that was still holding when I got to Maine. But I couldn't find any of that in Madawaska and got some other siliconish goop that said it would repair leather or vinyl.

Well, I guess it protected the saddle from having water get under the leather but it sure didn't look very good.

So Russell is recovering it and trying to move the seams down a bit so that they won't be subject to as much wear. In the meantime I'm riding on a stock saddle and I'm really missing the Russell. The only upside is that with the stock saddle both of the feet on the ends of my stubby little legs touch the ground flat-footed. But I'd forgotten what it's like to have your buttock-area experience discomfort.

The Russell should be back by the end of the week -- I'm ready for it!

Bike
2) 2010 red NT's
We're on the way back from a 10 day trip to Cambia CA on the pair of NT's. I'm compiling a list of things I'd like to change on my bike.

Already have:
helibar risers
MC Larry adjustable pegs
CalSci screen
Corbin seat.
SW Motech tail rack
wind deflectors

What I want:
larger pannier lids
re-locate the Gerbing plug to the left side and make it a permanent install on the black plastic in front of the pannier.
re-locate the GPS power cord from the handle bar to a perm mount on the visor surrounding the instrument panel
Add some red LED's to the tail section. Need more "HEY DUMMY I 'M SLOWING DOWN" indicators back there for the half blind drivers behind me.
Canisterectomy. To be replaced with a small tool tube and parts holder.
Sheepskin seat pad. While I like the Corbin, it is so stinking slippery. I have a temp solution right now with a sheepskin attached with Velcro and elastic. Need to find a better mounting solution so I can remove the pad with out haviing to remove the seat.

Last edited:
Bike
2010 NT700V, 2015 CB500X
2010, 2012, 2014......Isn't the coolant & brake fluid change an every 2 year routine? If so, its time for the second coolant and brake fluid change this winter.

I do have a small digital voltmeter to install, but haven't got too excited about possible locations to install it.....or the real need for a voltmeter. Other than that, I'm farkled out.

Bike
2) 2010 red NT's
Canister is behind the left side fairing. You can see it if you look through the grill on that side. It will get removed, plumbing redone to accomodate the loss. The tool tube will be put in its place. Only reason its there is for emissions. No emissions testing where I live and I've seen BMW canisters that have disintegrated and backwashed charcol into the fuel tank. Not good.

I took the one off my R850 three weeks ago. It runs better now...no longer has a hiccup in its getalong.

Bike
2) 2010 red NT's
Not sure, Bob. Before I start cutting tubes, I'm going to go over the plumbing schematics and such. I'm thinking there is a sensor in the lines somewhere... Just got to fiind it and see how it would be affected when the can is removed. Since the can vents to the air, I don't think the system is pressurized, but then again, I could be wrong. lol.

The BMW removal was pretty straight forward. Took about 10 minutes, including time to gather and then put away the tools. Looks like the NT is a bit more involved.

karl

Site Supporter
Bike
2010 Silver NT700VAA
Warmed up some here. Stopped raining and the sun is threatening to come out almost a balmy 40 deg but not quite... will try and stretch my season at least one more day.

Bike
2) 2010 red NT's
We just got back from a 2515 mile trip from central WA to Cambria, Ca and back. Took Hwy 1 down from Florence, OR to Cambria. It was foggy and cold all the way to Santa Cruz. Then the sun came out. Took 101 back up. Howling winds in San Francisco on Sunday, 30+ mph as we're going over the Golden Gate. Not fun. Glad we got off the road when we did, it got worse as the night went on. Watching the news the next morning, seems that the winds did a bunch of damage and even up ended a couple of semi trucks.

It was a beautiful ride back home. But it was getting colder the further north we went. Cold I can deal with. Got lucky, no snow or rain.

karl

Site Supporter
Bike
2010 Silver NT700VAA
Still riding. A bit brisk in the morning, but my "Commute" is only two miles.
Are you getting the oil up to temp? Probably as warm as the big diesel unless the heater has a strip resistance booster...
Enjoy the ride

OP
OP
Miairhead
Bike
What did you purchase for you NT that you found really not worth while. What are the most needed add on to the NT that you have installed. There are still guys who are buying stock NT's that could us advice on addons.

Bike
2) 2010 red NT's
haven't purchased anything that I have found 'not needed'. Most needed? Better screen.

Another thing we are going to add to the must do list:

Better fork springs. Riding Hwy 1 has really brought out how weak these things are.

OP
OP
Miairhead
Bike
Your shoulders will till you if you need the risers, mine did. You will not know about comfort till you get a few long rides in. Good think about risers, easy to switch back and you lose nothing (but the cost of cable). You might even find you like something like riser on long trips and not around town. Something like Mick-O-Pegs, you might need to borrow a friends bike and ride it, they are not cheap and hard to find used.

junglejim

Site Supporter
Bike
Tiger 800, NT sold
The big ones for me are:
Custom seat
Bar risers
Danali lights
Throttle lock
Electric outlet for heated clothing
I added a C Bailey windscreen, but the stock one isn't that bad.

I didn't get a top box because swinging a leg over is much easier without it and it makes the bike top heavy.
When I travel I use an Ortleib duffel bag that comes off by unsnapping two ROK straps - quick and simple.
I don't use a GPS because I hate taking my eyes off the road. I pull over and use my phone navigator if necessary.
My hands stay warm with winter gloves so I didn't add heated grips.
Performance enhancement is low on my list these days too. I can go too fast the way it is.

But we all set our bikes up the way we like them. That's part of the fun of it. We are all built different and ride differently on different roads. So just keep spending more on farkles, the economy needs it. Heck, just go buy another couple motorcycles. I have some recommendations if you want them.

Top Bottom