Smart Phone for Navigation

Bike
2010 Silver NT700
I have a Garmin Zumo 590, and for the most part, I like it. I can use Basecamp to create custom routes, and that has been okay.

However, I have been driving for Lyft in the past year, and have grown to rely Google Maps on my phone for navigation. I have a newer phone that is waterproof, and the display is almost the same size as the Garmin. I like the idea of using a phone because there is no need to update maps - it does so automatically - and no need to update the maps in BaseCamp either. I have found a way to create custom maps in Google Maps.

Does anyone use their phone for long trips? I would love to have some feedback. One caution I have is vibration - I would want to have a RAM mount that dampens the high vibration of the NT at speed.

Thoughts?

junglejim

Site Supporter
Bike
Tiger 800, NT sold
My smartphone (iPhone 6) is much better for navagation than my POS Garmin Nuvi. But I can't see the screen in full sunlight even on the brightest setting. It is in an OtterBox case if that makes any difference. IF I COULD see the screen I'd have to put on my glasses to read it (strike two). And I don't like the distraction while riding (strike 3). I just don't use navagation except to navagate through a big city on rare occasions.

Google is better at finding addresses than Garmin.
Garmin is better at finding "X" brand motel than Google.
Google will find a campground from "All Stays" app and Garmin won't.
I can't use audio from either one because I can't hear while riding.

I rely on paper maps and road signs.
I've never been successful at putting a planned route from my desktop to my Garmin. I'm not sure if it for lack of mental horsepower or electronic horsepower - or both. My best computer skill is operating the "off" button.

OP
OP
Comanche
Bike
2010 Silver NT700
I can't use audio from either one because I can't hear while riding.
I don't use the audio on either, whether I am on the bike or in a car. That's not a problem.

As to visibility in bright sun - I can't say the Garmin is a winner either, but I'll have to check out my Samsung Note 8 in the sun.

Bike
NT700V, NC700X, XL600R
I know a few on STO that use the x-grip and phones or tablets and say they grip tight enough to withstand potholes and such
https://www.amazon.com/Universal-X-Grip-Phablet-Holder-1-Inch/dp/B00C7B2NV4/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1526501070&sr=8-1&keywords=x+grip
I would also recommend the addition of a RAM Mount Tether to the RAM Mount X-Grip. This is due to that I nearly lost my iPhone when I hit a big pothole while on the freeway. The only thing that saved it was that I had the power cord plugged in and the phone dropped in front of the tank.

Be advised that when your Smartphone is used for navigation the battery on that device will deplete quite swiftly. It is recommended that you have either a DC outlet or USB Charging Port on the bike if you want to use the device.

I also have Bluetooth in my helmet, so I use the audio during navigation when needed.

Last edited:
Bike
'10 NT 84 BMW R100RT Ural
I know lots of riders use a 'smart thingie' for navigation, Still tell people to get a motorcycle GPS or at least a car one and carry a zip bag. I want to phone on me, in case I need to find it after a crash, crawling around looking for your phone i snot a good idea.

OP
OP
Comanche
Bike
2010 Silver NT700
Hi Chris -

My last phone was a Note 4 - and yeah - it's not waterproof. But the Note 8 is.

I wouldn't think of using it on battery power alone. While driving for Lyft, the display is on all the time, and no battery is going to last as long as I can ride. It would be plugged in. The key to faster charging is the connection, and the Note 8 uses the new USB 3.

AS to photos, if I am taking serious pix, I will use one of my professional cameras. I use my phone for snap shots, but that's all.

The key from the other posts seems to be I need to find something better than the X-Grip. The guys on ADVRider have some good ideas - and they bounce around a lot more than us road riders.

Thanks to all for the input - keep the ideas coming.

Bike
2010 Silver NT700
I have the Samsung S8 in an X cradle clamped to a Ram-Ball mount which is bolted to the exact center of the dash. Straight ahead, just inches below line of sight, and never obstructs my vision. S8 is waterproof. I have been in some frog stranglers and never had a problem. I upgraded to the S8 specifically for this application. Powered all the time so it never times out on me, as long as a destination is plugged in. Never noticed the phones battery going into a deficit condition. No problems yet with vibration affecting the phone. I do not use the tether because it IS such a hassle. Phone is mounted vertical orientation in the smaller of the X cradles. It is so tightly held that it just barely fits. Has not fallen out yet but I sure keep my eye on it during bumpy riding. The wife and I did 2500 miles last summer with this setup. Fabulously easy. I like it much better than my previous 2 Garmins. YMMV.

I would also recommend the addition of a RAM Mount Tether to the RAM Mount X-Grip. This is due to that I nearly lost my iPhone when I hit a big pothole while on the freeway. The only thing that saved it was that I had the power cord plugged in and the phone dropped in front of the tank.

Be advised that when your Smartphone is used for navigation the battery on that device will deplete quite swiftly. It is recommended that you have either a DC outlet or USB Charging Port on the bike if you want to use the device.

I also have Bluetooth in my helmet, so I use the audio during navigation when needed.
What are you using for Bluetooth headphones in your helmet

OP
OP
Comanche
Bike
2010 Silver NT700
I have the Samsung S8 in an X cradle clamped to a Ram-Ball mount which is bolted to the exact center of the dash. Straight ahead, just inches below line of sight, and never obstructs my vision. S8 is waterproof. I have been in some frog stranglers and never had a problem. I upgraded to the S8 specifically for this application. Powered all the time so it never times out on me, as long as a destination is plugged in. Never noticed the phones battery going into a deficit condition. No problems yet with vibration affecting the phone. I do not use the tether because it IS such a hassle. Phone is mounted vertical orientation in the smaller of the X cradles. It is so tightly held that it just barely fits. Has not fallen out yet but I sure keep my eye on it during bumpy riding. The wife and I did 2500 miles last summer with this setup. Fabulously easy. I like it much better than my previous 2 Garmins. YMMV.
Thanx, Crowbuster - great information. I have the Note 8, which is slightly larger than the S8.

Two questions:

1. I am not worried about the phone per se being waterproof, but rather the USB port, earphone port and microphone letting in water. You say you have ridden through some frog stranglers - and no problem at all? Kind of makes me nervous, so my question is whether you use a waterproof case or not. If so, which one?

2. Do you use some sort of custom maps? I seldom ride the slab, and much prefer to ride the byways, even on long rides. Therefore, I need to make custom maps, just as I use BaseCamp with Garmin. I have found Google MyMaps that allows me to create custom maps and dump them into the phone. Have you used any custom map apps?

Thanx in advance.

RedLdr1

Site Supporter
I want to phone on me, in case I need to find it after a crash, crawling around looking for your phone i snot a good idea.
I agree. My phone stays in a pocket inside my jacket for the same reason. A basic GPS is so cheap I'll stick with it... I also carry a real camera even though my Samsung S8 is a pretty good one. I don't want a single device failing and screwing up everything I need / want to use...BTDT and ain't going to do it again. :rolleyes1:

For those of you riding with your smart phone as a GPS I suggest you make sure your "GPS" will work without a cell signal. Some GPS apps require cell signal to correctly determine your location. Not a big deal on a NT riding down the Interstate but it might bite you off the beaten path...

Bike
2010 Silver NT700
I just have it in an OtterBox.
I have never tried multiple point routes. Mine are simple A to B. I will check out Google My Maps. Thanks.

RedLdr1

Site Supporter
A basic car GPS is cheap...but I don't know of one that will allow you to hear the directions spoken while riding inside your helmet. So that means you have to take your eyes off the road to see where you're going. That's not an issue in less trafficked areas. But it is in heavy traffic. A smartphone used as a GPS will send your instructions to your helmet, if you have a BT headset.
Well, if you have BT you could always pair the GPS with your smart phone and have the spoken instructions thru your BT headset...:wink:

Also, a thought just occurred to me...if you won't use a cell phone as a GPS because they won't work when you lose cell phone reception...how will you be able to notify anyone if you're in that ditch with me? You may have the cell phone, but no reception.
Apples and Oranges...as in two different issues...I even put them in separate paragraphs... The point of my second paragraph was if you use a GPS app you might want to see how well it works in an area without reliable cell phone data coverage. I have a "blended" in dash Jensen radio / GPS / Entertainment center / DVD player / whatever :rolleyes1: / in our motor home. The "blend" part means it requires a smart phone for the GPS to work. No cellular data, no GPS...:eek1: That means it isn't worth turning on when boon docking. My Garmin RV760LMT on the other hand still works quite nicely...and it even has BT to connect to a smart phone or headset. :wink: By the way I've been in a few areas where I can do a voice call but have zero data access available...even with a cellular booster installed. A rural 0G network area I reckon...:) My current smart phone is a 64GB Samsung S8, on the Verizon network, which I consider to be a very good smart phone...when used in a 3/4G area.

OP
OP
Comanche
Bike
2010 Silver NT700
I ran across this excellent thread on ADVRider. The guy is a bit of a nutcase when it comes to this topic. but he has some great ideas - and there is a very good conversation that follows the original post.

http://advrider.com/index.php?threads/ultra-rugged-kyocera-phones-gps-smartphones-my-guide.1206076/

For those of you who don't want to have one-device-do-all-in-case-you-lose-it, the thread has many people buying these phones for $125 or so, but never activating the phone, keeping their iPhone or Android in a pocket.

By the way - I checked my Note 8 in bright sun today - the thing is easier to read than my Garmin.

I’m another one that’s a little leery of putting all my eggs in one basket. On my CCC 100 ride I was only using my iphone for navigation and I thought it was well enough protected but it drowned in a frog strangler and I had to do the whole rest of the trip with no communication at all - which was not funny McGee! But I did manage to do the coast to coast to coast in 96.5 hours! However today, I now have my cell phone in a life proof case. I’ve ditched the 2797 and only use the cell phone as GPS in my car. But out on long trips in my kayak I still use both my cell phone and a Garmin Montana 680t. My theory is that certain activities require back ups, certain activities don’t.
Wendell

mikesim

Site Supporter
Bike
NT700, Red, #989,
I'm pretty well pleased with my Zumo. The tire pressure monitoring feature makes it worth every penny and it is waterproof in a gully washer.

MIke

OP
OP
Comanche
Bike
2010 Silver NT700
I'm loving all the the ideas.

And here's the rub - - I have an top-of-the-line GPS already installed on my bike, and I have used it for about three (maybe four) years. Why would I want to use a phone?

Because of Garmin.

Downloading new maps is a super hassle. The maps on my GPS are current - 2019.12 version. Great.

But the maps on BaseCamp are circa 2016. For the life of me, I cannot figure out how to download the newer maps to BaseCamp. Of course, it says "Install Garmin Expres", which I did years ago, and that's what updated my device maps. But, it's an endless loop trying to update BaseCamp's maps. The last time I went to Spearfish, I went on up into Canada afterwards, and had problems using old maps on the new device maps when I was going through Montana.

If this situation isn't resolved soon, I may very well buy a Kyrocera ProForce phone, which is ruggedized and waterproof. https://www.kyoceramobile.com/duraforce-pro/ I would use it ONLY as a GPS, and not activate the phone, and keep my regular cell phone in my jacket as I usually do., I'd buy the Kyrocera on eBay and spend no more than $150. I would use wi-fi to update the maps. (If I wanted to, I could use my virtual phone number on the phone and that would not cost me any more than my current contract.

So thanks to the posters who warned of the "all the eggs in one basket" approach.

Mellow

Admin
2024 Mileage
Bike
21 R1250RT
But the maps on BaseCamp are circa 2016. For the life of me, I cannot figure out how to download the newer maps to BaseCamp. Of course, it says "Install Garmin Expres", which I did years ago, and that's what updated my device maps. But, it's an endless loop trying to update BaseCamp's maps. The last time I went to Spearfish, I went on up into Canada afterwards, and had problems using old maps on the new device maps when I was going through Montana.
When you load up garmin express and select your device, there's an Map Options link, from there go to the bottom where it says Install to Computer.. that should install it where Basecamp looks for it.

Top Bottom