Smart Phone for Navigation

I have a Iphone SE, and I like the small size as it fits in my pocket. The Navigation is really good, it is easy to search and find places, move around on the map and drop a pin and navigate to it, etc. It is really nice to use the BlueTooth and have the instructions come to my helmet.

I have an older Garmin Nuvi 500 that I bought used and purchased lifetime maps updates.

The route chosen by the Iphone is very often better and more accurate than the Garmin route. Establishing long routes on the Garmin is really tedious.

The big problem that I have with my Iphone is the screen is small, and it sometimes hard for my old eyes to read the street names. If I increase the map size the road gets bigger - unfortunately the small text stays small no matter how big I make the map. The other issue is that when I ride in places where I lose cell service - I don't have the ability to create a new route or alter an existing one to create a new destination.

I mix/match using the Garmin since I already own it and it has lifetime map updates.....and my cell phone as it can provide instructions to my helmet radio and is easier to use the map and find destinations.

junglejim

Site Supporter
Bike
Tiger 800, NT sold
I have an older Garmin Nuvi 500 that I bought used and purchased lifetime maps updates
For me the lifetime updates are useless. I used Garmin Express to update my GPS and it ran out or internal memory after updating 39 states 3 years ago. There is no external memory. So I got lifetime updates that I can't use. If I try to do anything I get a message that the "memory is full - insert a new memory card". I wonder what they think I'm supposed to insert it into.

Mellow

Admin
2024 Mileage
Bike
21 R1250RT
For me the lifetime updates are useless. I used Garmin Express to update my GPS and it ran out or internal memory after updating 39 states 3 years ago. There is no external memory. So I got lifetime updates that I can't use. If I try to do anything I get a message that the "memory is full - insert a new memory card". I wonder what they think I'm supposed to insert it into.
Which one do you have? I assume it has no card slot based on your comments?

Bike
NT700V, NC700X, XL600R
What are you using for Bluetooth headphones in your helmet
I am running a Sena 10S.

I listen to music mostly, speech to text to send a text, listen to text messages, talk on the phone, bike to bike com, and navigation just to name a few. On a few occasions, I had to call the CHP to report reckless drivers.

Last edited:

junglejim

Site Supporter
Bike
Tiger 800, NT sold
Which one do you have? I assume it has no card slot based on your comments?
Nuvi 50LM
No card slot
No screws to take anything apart
It has an On/Off button and a USP port.

I'd readily buy a new GPS, but from what little and confusing info they tell you on the packages I'd probably end up with another one like the POS I already have.

Phil Tarman

Site Supporter
Bike
2010 Silver NT700VA (ABS)
Jim, I've got a Zumo 350 that has a slot on the bottom (under a rubber waterproof cover) that takes a micro-SD card and gives me plenty of room for map updates and longer routes than the internal memory allowed.

junglejim

Site Supporter
Bike
Tiger 800, NT sold
I bought a refurbished Garmin 590LM for hundreds less than a new one.
Thanks for the suggestion Chris. I know I have needed a new one for several years. I have purchased only two and have been pretty disappointed in both of them. I'll take a look at the one you suggested.

OP
OP
Comanche
Bike
2010 Silver NT700
When you load up garmin express and select your device, there's an Map Options link, from there go to the bottom where it says Install to Computer.. that should install it where Basecamp looks for it.
Curse you, Mellow :smile:

I had done that a number of times, and was about to sit down and explain all my problems and why your suggestions wouldn't work.

Then it did!!

But I still don't know what I did differently.

At any rate, so ends my flirtation with using a phone for navigation. The Garmin is not the best, but it is installed, works, is waterproof (I've proved that more than a few times) and does the job.

Now, to plan some trips.

Mellow

Admin
2024 Mileage
Bike
21 R1250RT
Curse you, Mellow :smile:

I had done that a number of times, and was about to sit down and explain all my problems and why your suggestions wouldn't work.

Then it did!!

But I still don't know what I did differently.

At any rate, so ends my flirtation with using a phone for navigation. The Garmin is not the best, but it is installed, works, is waterproof (I've proved that more than a few times) and does the job.

Now, to plan some trips.
Sorry.. LOL

Top Bottom