[SOLVED] Stuck Clutch?

Bike
2010 NT700VA
Hey!

I have a 2010 nt700 ABS. I've only had it a month or so and have only ridden it twice (winter......). It was finally getting into the 60's here in PA yesterday I was riding it for a couple hours and everything was fine. Today was another nice day and went to go out again.

Nope.

Started in Neutral, clutch in. When I push down for first - clutch grip still IN - the bike lurched and stopped. I tried up to 2nd instead and get the same thing. It's acting like the clutch isn't actually disengaging inside.

I verified that the cable from clutch handle is indeed moving the thing down on the engine. It sounds like something is moving inside, but I forgot to change my x-ray glasses to verify. I tried adjusting the cable down at the transmission. Both looser and tighter and the the situation didn't change. Even with grip IN, simply going from neutral to 1st (or 2nd) lurch and stop.

No funny smells, no funny feels riding yesterday. Woke up to this. Is this a "known issue", or... is it bad news?

THANK YOU

M.

OP
OP
mpalermo73
Bike
2010 NT700VA
So...

I was today years old when I learned that on contemporary motorcycles, there's a safety switch on the sidestand that prevents a motorcycle from being ridden with the sidestand down. Depending on how it's implemented, which changes from manufacturer to manufacturer, this sidestand safety switch can prevent a bike from even being PUT INTO ANY GEAR WHILE IDLING IN NEUTRAL.

23c79ca618e95bdc.gif

Sunny

Site Supporter
Bike
NT700VA, R1150GS
So...

I was today years old when I learned that on contemporary motorcycles, there's a safety switch on the sidestand that prevents a motorcycle from being ridden with the sidestand down. Depending on how it's implemented, which changes from manufacturer to manufacturer, this sidestand safety switch can prevent a bike from even being PUT INTO ANY GEAR WHILE IDLING IN NEUTRAL.

23c79ca618e95bdc.gif
been there done that ... face palm included ...

mikesim

Site Supporter
Bike
NT700, Red, #989,
So...

23c79ca618e95bdc.gif
Welcome to the "dumshits club"! Most of us is Charter Members!

:doh1:

Mike

OP
OP
mpalermo73
Bike
2010 NT700VA
I didn't get a paper version of the manual with my bike, but I found a PDF version online.

Screen Shot 2021-03-22 at 10.15.48 AM.png

Bike
2020 Kawasaki Versys
Better to have that happen to you than drive off with side stand down and start a left turn.
Did that once on a 650 Yamaha twin. Amazing how fast the bike goes down when the front wheel gets levered off the ground by that sidestand.
I'm a member of the club.

Brad

DirtFlier

Site Supporter
Bike
2010 Silver NT700V/ABS
"..my Nighthawk has a subframe down there, not sure the purpose since there's no brackets for crash bars or lights..JustPassinThru"

On Honda motorcycles, the removable subframe allows the engine to be removed and it's usually on the left side of the frame.

Phil Tarman

Site Supporter
Bike
2010 Silver NT700VA (ABS)
I'm a member of the Dumshitz Club. I had bought my first Concours and took it for a ride from Ft Morgan up to Bridgewater, NE, and was on my way home when I stopped to adjust my newly installed throttle lock. I finished that and the bike wouldn't start. I fiddled and fiddled and couldn't figure anything out. I had four or five bikers on their way home from Sturgis bike week stop to see if they could help. Finally I called a friend to come get me with his trailer. About five minutes after that another biker stopped. Looked at my bike for about 10 seconds and suggest that I try turning the kill switch back to run. Sure enough that fixed it. I was lucky enough to catch my buddy before he left his driveway.

mikesim

Site Supporter
Bike
NT700, Red, #989,
I have never allowed myself to become accustomed to using the kill switch. 1.) for the reason you describe above, and 2.) the kill switch will turn the engine off but everything else stays on and you return later to a dead battery. Many times life's lessons are learned the hard way.

😖

Mike

junglejim

Site Supporter
Bike
Tiger 800, NT sold
I have never allowed myself to become accustomed to using the kill switch. 1.) for the reason you describe above, and 2.) the kill switch will turn the engine off but everything else stays on and you return later to a dead battery. Many times life's lessons are learned the hard way.

😖

Mike
Same thing goes for stopping your engine with the side stand switch. Motorcycles can roll forward off the side stand if not left in gear. So when parking on a hill it is tempting to use the side stand switch to kill the engine then let the clutch out to park the bike. It makes parking on a downslope easier BUT requires that you REMEMBER to turn off the ignition after doing so.

Phil Tarman

Site Supporter
Bike
I've used the side stand switch and forgotten to turn the key off way too often. For some reason, I've done it more on the NT than I ever did on my Concours. 🤔

mikesim

Site Supporter
Bike
NT700, Red, #989,
Same thing goes for stopping your engine with the side stand switch. Motorcycles can roll forward off the side stand if not left in gear. So when parking on a hill it is tempting to use the side stand switch to kill the engine then let the clutch out to park the bike. It makes parking on a downslope easier BUT requires that you REMEMBER to turn off the ignition after doing so.
Yup! I don't do that either. Over the years I have tried to make note of all the stupid ways to screw up and quit doin' them. However, in spite of my best efforts I still find a way from time to time to find a new way to screw up and amaze even myownself.

Mike

junglejim

Site Supporter
Bike
Tiger 800, NT sold
Yup! I don't do that either. Over the years I have tried to make note of all the stupid ways to screw up and quit doin' them. However, in spite of my best efforts I still find a way from time to time to find a new way to screw up and amaze even myownself.

Mike
Welcome to the human race. That's a universal attribute of us humans. But not all humans admit to it. Who are they kidding?????

Sunny

Site Supporter
Bike
NT700VA, R1150GS

😖

Mike
been there done that (Again ...) ... thank fully i was on top of a hill so rolled done for a rolling start ....

Phil Tarman

Site Supporter
Bike
I never have been able to do a rolling start with the NT after draining the battery. I never had enough juice to run the fuel pump. :-(

Sunny

Site Supporter
Bike
NT700VA, R1150GS
i think mine had enough juice to run the pump, but not enough to turn the starter motor with the headlamp also running ...

Bike
2010 Red NT700V
And sometimes a weak battery does not have enough voltage to properly "boot" the ECM, leaving the ECM in limbo, resulting in a no-start even though the engine might crank, which further lowers the voltage. I ran into this with a Lithium in my NT in cold weather.

Top Bottom