Spark plug change

prof98801

Are you staying with the OEM NKG CPR8EA-9 spark plug when changing plugs?

So far, yes, I have. They are much, much cheaper at Autozone than at the Honda dealer. But I did have to order them and wait two days for them to get to the store.

I don't know. I've had the 8K and 16K services done by my dealer and they've changed plugs.

I'm going to be late with the 24K service, although I did change oil and filter before I head off for Texas. I'll be up ove 24K when I get back and will probably wait till after the Rally to get the next service.

But I keep wondering about the 8K spark plug change. I'd like to hear why they need to be changed so often -- 10/1 isn't a real high compression ratio, fuel injection ought to keep the mixture right, there's sure not a lot of oil floating around to clog up the plug. I guess I don't understand what's to wear out or need replacing.

I changed plugs on my 115K-mile Concours once, at 60K. I just thought it was probably time. The plugs were the right color of tan, but the gap had gotten up to some great big thing, must have been over 1/16th. I put in brand new, properly-gapped plugs and figured I'd really see/feel a difference: power, gas mileage, something!

Wrong. Same subjective feeling around acceleration and smoothness. Same gas mileage. There had to have been some differerence, but Isure couldn't tell what it was.

So....does anybody know why big H wants 'em changed at 8K miles? Do they own the spark plug factory? :)

I did not change mine at 8K. I did it when I did the second valve check, at a bit over 14K. The plugs I took out looked fine, and the gap had not widened. I too am baffled as to why we're to change them so often.

I had a friend tell me that Gold Wings (don't know what year) asked for a plug change at 10,000...he didn't do that and was pulling out of a parking lot at about 12,000 miles and bang.... it wouldn't run. Changing plugs fixed it. Now, personally, that sounds doubtful.

I can't imagine that all the plugs went at the same time. If one went, you'd notice it, but you could still move; the engine would keep running... just not well.

My guess is that your GoldWing friend had a loose wire, and in the course of messing with the plugs he touched it.

Some long term plugs keep working just fine until the steel case rots off and they blow out of the threaded hole they live in.
Interval still seems very short to me. I would like to know why Honda did that.

I agree with John on the 50K miles.
I suspect that the rationale H uses is: Plugs are relatively cheap, so why not replace them when the tupperware is already off.
We all know what a PITA it is to just change the plugs. DEFINITELY use Never Sieze, These Honda heads are quite delicate and stripping the threads is very easy. To prevent that, God made Torque Wrenches.

A friend of mine who owns a PC-800 overtorqued a spark plug and stripped the threads. We put in a Heliocoil--not the best solution, but the only one available at this time. He is currently searching the net for a new cylinder head.

I don't think Honda heads are "quite delicate." If you had another makers aluminum head with the same (small) size spark plug threads, I'd bet it would be the same as far as durabilty of threads. I always use never-seize on the spark plug threads and thread in the plug by hand as far as it will go to ensure I don't cross-thread it!

The Heli-coiled repair of the spark plug threads should hold up fine as long as it was done correctly. In fact it will be stronger than the original since the thread inserts are steel.

Are you staying with the OEM NKG CPR8EA-9 spark plug when changing plugs?

I did. I think I changed mine at 10,000. I suspect that Honda is overly cautious about most things- better safe than sorry and besides more sales and service for the dealer.

I don't think Honda heads are "quite delicate." If you had another makers aluminum head with the same (small) size spark plug threads, I'd bet it would be the same as far as durabilty of threads. I always use never-seize on the spark plug threads and thread in the plug by hand as far as it will go to ensure I don't cross-thread it!

Same here. And I use a piece of plastic fuel line about 4" long, over the end of the spark plug, to give me something to hold onto while threading the spark plug into the hole, and getting it hand tightened. The tube doesn't hold it tight enough to apply enough force, to cross thread it.

Katherine,
That fuel line idea is great. I'll have to remember that. I'm sure the Honda Heads are well made. I use a torque wrench on every bolt that has a spec.

Working on bicycles--particularly CF and Titanium--proper torque is critical. I would hate to overtighten a bolt on a CF bike and crack the frame. That would be a costly mistake,

My Honda Dealer, in France, said the plugs don't need replacing (and hasn't changed them) at 8,000 miles. They did say they would change them at 12,000 miles. She's booked in on 18th June for her 12,000 mile service so we'll see what happens.

I'll mention that "if they change the plugs to install Iridium ones" but I don't think they'll change them until the 16,000 mile service.

I'll keep you posted.

My Honda Dealer, in France, said the plugs don't need replacing (and hasn't changed them) at 8,000 miles. They did say they would change them at 12,000 miles. She's booked in on 18th June for her 12,000 mile service so we'll see what happens.

I'll mention that "if they change the plugs to install Iridium ones" but I don't think they'll change them until the 16,000 mile service.

I'll keep you posted.

I have checked and I do not believe a proper Iridium plug is available. NGK does not list one. They also indicate that our plug is a special OEM design. Someone on the UK list found one that was close but NGK said they might have to adjust the timing a couple of degrees. I am sticking with the Honda recommended plug. You can get them for a reasonable price from Dennis Kirk.

Just got mine for 8K service this afternoon. Dealer changes plugs, oil, adjusted valves, etc. Engine seemed smoother on the way home.

Nippon Denso do an Iridium one that the Honda Dealer stocks and says is suitable...

I still remember the days when spark plugs got swapped twice a year. I worry about the plugs welding themselves to the head. Pulling them out gives you a chance to look at them and know all is well or there is a problem to find...You can defer most maintenance just remember the line "You can pay me now or pay me later."

I put in the Iridium plugs recommended on the UK list (NGK CR8EIX) at the 600 mile valve check, and now have almost 7,000 miles on them with no problems I'm aware of. I'll be doing the 8K valve adjustment in a month or so, and if I find a problem I'll report it here. I don't see how a sparkplug could affect timing at all . . .

Bill

I think I'll change the air in my tires soon

I'm glad this topic came up, Sam. What do you use as your guideline for changing out the old, tired summer air and refreshing it with fresh new winter air: Average daytime highs, low night-time temperatures, length of daylight hours?

It's a regular conundrum... we all want to be environmentally responsible and not waste air, but we need the performance edge that the proper seasonal air can give. Decisions, decisions, decisions....

Good thinking, Sam! An innovative approach, to be sure.

Slightly more seriously: Is anybody using nitrogen in their tires? My theory is that we all are -- last time I checked, the atomosphere was something like 78-79% nitrogen. My wife's Nissan came from a dealer who puts nitrogen in all their tires and gives you lovely green valve stem caps so you'll know not to put ordinary air in.

I've never heard an explanation of why nitrogen is supposed to be (or perhaps really is) better than atmospheric gases all mixed together.

Back
Top Bottom