Spark plug change

I have used Nitrogen in my cars and bikes for a couple of years now. I don't have to check pressure as often and the tyres seem to run cooler. Nitrogen is dry, so I don't have to worry about dampness in the tyre or corrosion forming on the rim. My friend, who runs a body shop, spray paints using Nitrogen gas as a propellant. His paint jobs are superb. He painted my pannier lids after I did the prep.

BillyDoc--Any problems? I ended up with a pair of these and am going to install them now. Please tell me your heads didn't end up as pools of molten slag afterward!

I've never heard an explanation of why nitrogen is supposed to be (or perhaps really is) better than atmospheric gases all mixed together.

I asked at a dealership why do they put in nitrogen? the molecules are bigger than the atmosphere mixture and leaks out from the rubber less. then at my first NT 600 mile check, they told me they put in nitrogen. wow, for free, cause I will never buy it. to me its kinda of a gimmick to pay extra. i'll just the old air method!

BillyDoc--Any problems? I ended up with a pair of these and am going to install them now. Please tell me your heads didn't end up as pools of molten slag afterward!

Chillman, I'm happy to report no (visible) slag anywhere around where I park . . . but I can't say anything about what might have dripped out when riding.

I just checked my mileage, and I now have 30,381 miles on the Iridum plugs. Performance remains outstanding, and she always starts on the first crank. One thing that seems a bit strange is that when I pull the plugs to relieve compression for a valve check the plugs don't show any of the typical tan coating I used to see on plugs years ago, but appear snow white and generally like brand new plugs. I mostly use Citgo regular gas with 10% ethanol, so that may be the difference. It's as clear as water.

I think these Iridium plugs (NGK CR8EIX) will outlast the bike! No complaints here!

Bill

I used the 8K interval as a plug inspection rather than a change. They have always looked and worked well so I put the old ones back in. Keeping a fresh pair of plugs on hand is a good idea though, because they aren't always available off the shelf.

Thank you BillyDoc! Put mine in, let's see how much I get out of them!

Maybe the reason the CR8EIX Iridium plug is white is that it is running hot. The recommended CPR8EA9 plug has a projected insulator which runs cooler and cleaner. There is a reason that neither Honda or NGK recommend the iridium plug for the NT. I am glad you are having good success with it but I don't think the minimal benefits are worth the possible risk.

Nearly all iridium plugs run white, regardless of what vehicle they are used in, as that is part of their design and engineering.

Seagrass

Nearly all iridium plugs run white, regardless of what vehicle they are used in, as that is part of their design and engineering.

Seagrass

That's good to know, Seagrass, I had wondered if they were running a little hot and rationalized that they might be designed to to exactly that. Thanks for the info!

Bill

Don't ever complain about plugs. On my Ford F150 I have plugs scheduled Thursday, $240 if they only break (2), and $25 for ever other one that breaks. It seems the plugs are one of Fords better idea on the 5.4 engine. If they change the wires and cap it is $500 by their chart. I only having the plugs done, because of the likelihood of breakage I won't be doing the plugs, I can do my own cap and wires if necessary.

I normaly will change plugs at valve inspection time.Not because they are bad,but just because everything is already opened up and it is convienient. The cost is not a big factor when the labor is already involved whether old or new get put in. Just my two cents worth.

Eldon

By the way, anybody got the torque spec for the plug? I'm coming up on my 8k valve adjust soon, will be doing new plugs too.

Brad

2010 NT700V Maroon
1981 CM400A Hondamatic

Only changed mine once and that was somewhere around 34,000 I think. Would have to check my log. I had the dealer stay with the OEM plugs. I have always had good service from NGK and ND.

Back
Top Bottom