Spline Lube, update more questions Thank's

Bike
2010 NT700V
I use the two-wrench method to break and tighten the stopper bolt. No issues so far

Bike
Black Deauville NT700
I have no engineering qualification, so check what I say.

Regarding the transmission on the NT700, there are many reports of sliding components discovered in a dry condition. The implication is that lubricant was never applied. That may be false, as one of the techniques for applying molybdenum disulphide (MoS2) is to burnish. It could be present but not apparent.

In the MoS2 grease and paste, the active component is present in a carrier in different concentrations. Generally, an assembly paste carries more MoS2. As the grease component may melt and flow away leaving the MoS2, the question is will the MoS2 build up on the surfaces with repeated applications? I do not know, either.

In 1996, when the Deauvilles were on the drawing board, molybdenum disulphide was the economic answer. However, something happened over the last 20 years. The comparative price of tungsten disulphide (WS2) to MoS2 has fallen by a factor of 8. The WS2 is a superior lubricant; it is more slippy and resistant to heat than the MoS2.

I bought WS2 powder and mixed it with a small quantity of the common molybdenum disulphide grease. It was mixed until the grease would hold no more of the powder, then applied. The back wheel is yet to fall off. (British humour)

Top Bottom