Suspension issues

spacetiger

Based on the "lot of dive during braking", I would say this is a good sign, the preload isn't set right. Example:
A spring doesn't exert force unless compressed. To keep this simple, I will use a linear spring, not a progressive rate spring. If the spring has a 70lb/in rating AND you have no preload on it, your front suspension (based on a 115mm or 4.53in front suspension travel) can handle a max load of 2 x 4.53in x 70lb/in = 634 lbs before bottoming out, so your range is from 0 to 634 lbs. The bike weighs 236 kg dry, or about 555 lbs wet. With a 200lb rider, you are at 755 lbs. In a panic stop you shift weight as the front brakes will provide at least 70% of your stopping ability. Your weight will shift putting much more weight on the front suspension. The CG of the bike, among other variables, can yield a situation in a panic stop you could bottom out the suspension. Its easier to do this if you are two up and have 60lbs of stuff on the bike as you could be up to 950lbs (fully loaded with a loaded trunk etc).
If you add 1" of preload, your working range goes from 0-634lbs to 70-774lbs. This is better, but may not be enough. There is a point when you cannot add more preload to compress the spring. This is when you switch to a different spring (~$100) say a 80lb/in. With a 1" preload spacer this would give you a 80-885lb range. Its hard to tell what you need until you verify the preload setting with you on the bike. Easy to do, just add a zip tie and carefully get on the bike without bouncing it. You should only compress the suspension enough to move the zip tie up about 1". If you move it less than that (you probably less than 150lb), you have too much preload in and/or your spring is too stiff. If your zip tie moves more than 1", you need more preload and/or a beefier spring. If you are close to 2", you MUST do something, as you are using up almost half of your suspension travel just sitting still. You are probably bottoming out alot. You cannot use heavier weight oil to compensate for this.
Anyone that tells you to reduce or lengthening the preload spacer X inches and change oil to X viscosity WITHOUT telling you what they weigh means nothing to you. It could be a 140lb person telling you what works for them and their riding skill and that may not match you if you are 200lbs and ride more aggressively.
When I tell you to change the preload spacer, I am refering to the aluminum or PVC tube above the spring. You can use a piece several inches long and put no preload on the spring. You can tell you are putting a preload on the spring when it takes some effort to put the cap back on the top.

So, there is a great chance to upgrade the NT700V front suspension (41mm stanchions) as there were many Honda bikes made in the 90's and 00's using 41mm suspension starting to move to cartridges vs. damper rods. Here is a great $105 option from a 1997 VFR750 and good ebayer track record:
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/1997-HONDA-VFR750-FRONT-SHOCK-FORKS-TREE-STRAIGHT-/350475637083?pt=Motorcycles_Parts_Accessories&hash=item5199f9d15b
These forks accommodate 296mm brake discs so I bet the NT brake brackets bolt right up. I don't know the mounting pattern for the fender, but you can change to the VFR fender:
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/94-97-Honda-VFR750-VFR-750-Front-Fender-Rim-Wheel-/180693822629?pt=Motorcycles_Parts_Accessories&hash=item2a1230eca5

You can slide up the forks to the correct length and gain rebound damping and preload adjustments at the top of the fork, this would be a modest change. The VFR weighs about 50lbs lighter, so you are more likely to have to change the springs, but it is possible you can use your NT springs if they are matched well to your weight.

Jerry

spacetiger

Here are 3 pics:
1. 1991 ST1100 left fork lower with 1991 ST1100 (same as PC800) caliper and bracket.
2. A pic of the older generation NISSIN 2 pot caliper on a (1996 I think) VFR750 fork lower. This is the same 2 pot caliper/bracket that came on the 1997 VFR750
3. (1996 I think) VFR750 left fork lower with 2002 VTX1800 caliper and bracket. I think the VTX caliper and brackets are similar to NT700V set up as both use 296m discs. The bracket hole spacing on the leg measures out at 80mm (3.15")

The point of the pics is that I think the NT700V calipers/brackets will bolt up to the 1997 VFR750 forks with no problems. They both use a 17" front wheel, so the fender will fit correctly to the wheel (no big or small gap issue between wheel and tire). The VFR750 rake is 26 degrees, very close to the NT700 28.5 degrees; A VFR fender would be tilted 2.5 degrees off from the NT (I think the front fender would be a tad closer to the wheel). In fact, it looks like a 1st generation ST1100 fender could work with the VFR750 fork lower tabs. They have a rake of 28 degrees so, they would be off 2 degrees (front fender closer to the wheel). All in all, I thing the fender would not look out of place. You could even get lucky as the paint colors for the NT may have been used on the ST1100. Get the right year fender and you would not need to repaint it if it is in good condition and get a fork brace too.

I just added a 4th pic to show what both VTX1800 3 pot calipers look like mounted to the VFR fork lowers. I think if you measure the bolt spread of the NT700V caliper mounting points and find they are 80mm, they should bolt up to the 1994-1997 VFR750 forks with no issues. In this pic, you can see the small bosses at the bottom of the fork lowers.. You can drill these and tap them for screws so it is easy to change fork oil in the future. I believe the NT does not have drain holes in the fork lowers.

You just have to be willing to take a chance...

Jerry

Attachments

Last edited by a moderator:

spacetiger

mntsansea_girl,

If you would ride up to Chantilly, VA next Sat, I'll set your preload on the bike. It will cost you nothing other than riding up here.

Jerry

Thwakum

Front is soft but then it is still stable and forgiving when fully loaded and things go bump mid corner, it is a bike for touring after all and the price bracket means that adjustable front forks are not part of the offer. As such there probably isn't much "wrong" with the set up other than personal preference.

elizilla

Based on what y'all are saying, I'm wondering if y'all are even riding the same bike as me? The front of my NT is so harsh that I'm developing a flinch whenever I see a bump in the road. My theory is that the forks just don't have enough travel, so to keep it from bottoming they had to put in a ridiculously stiff spring. Add in the fact that there's no adjustment on the front, not even preload, and it's a terrible suspension. I was going to put in some Race Tech cartridge emulators last winter but I didn't get around to it.

spacetiger

Katherine,

If I had to guess, I'd say you are not very heavy (?), so the factory spring could be too stiff for you. While there is no external means to adjust preload, you can do it. You just have to take the fork caps off to get at the spacer. But, before doing so, you should verify the amount of preload you have now using the zip ties.

"...I'm developing a flinch whenever I see a bump in the road..." this is a good sign your fork oil is too heavy. If you are not heavy and you ride solo, switch to a lighter weight oil - but, only after you get your preload dialed in. IF you ride with heavy oil and you are light, you cannot push the oil through the front suspension quick enough (compression damping) so the front suspension doesn't give very well. You will feel every bump in the road.

also, if you are not very tall and have compressed the rear shock (dialed in lots of preload) to lower the bike, the rear suspension will be very stiff. This could be your problem too. Let me know if you have done this. There might be another option for you.

I bet once you get the preload dialed in and you switch to a lighter weight oil, you will really enjoy the bike.

Jerry

elizilla

Does Race Tech make the emulators for the NT?
I've been talking to Krazy from this forum, and he reports he has installed them. This is what he told me:

There is no kit for any bike but you buy the valves as per for diameter. Ours being 41mm. The valve number is Race Tech FEIGN S4101.
Our forks only use four holes in the damping rod for all shock control. It works fairly good until you hit a sharp bump (frost heave, hole, pavement step, extra )at this point the fork needs to compress very rapidly but it cant because the oil has to move through the dampener holes ( 4 holes 1/4" diam). The fork hydraulically locks and becomes solid.
The fix is to open the dampener holes to 5/16 and add to more and add the Race teck valve which has a adjustable large spring loaded valve to take care of this problem.
It works great for me.
Katherine,

If I had to guess, I'd say you are not very heavy (?), so the factory spring could be too stiff for you. While there is no external means to adjust preload, you can do it. You just have to take the fork caps off to get at the spacer. But, before doing so, you should verify the amount of preload you have now using the zip ties.

"...I'm developing a flinch whenever I see a bump in the road..." this is a good sign your fork oil is too heavy. If you are not heavy and you ride solo, switch to a lighter weight oil - but, only after you get your preload dialed in. IF you ride with heavy oil and you are light, you cannot push the oil through the front suspension quick enough (compression damping) so the front suspension doesn't give very well. You will feel every bump in the road.

also, if you are not very tall and have compressed the rear shock (dialed in lots of preload) to lower the bike, the rear suspension will be very stiff. This could be your problem too. Let me know if you have done this. There might be another option for you.
I'm so tall that I switched to a higher seat. So no, I haven't dropped my rear preload just to get my feet down. :) I'm 5'11", with a 35" inseam, 170lbs. Add in the full leathers, a topcase, and a little luggage, and I'm probably exceeding the design weight for a solo rider on an OEM Japanese motorcycle suspension.

I've experimented with adjusting the rear suspension, but it doesn't fix the harsh front.

I believe that the oil thing is spot on. I could adjust the spacers to reduce front preload but I'd be afraid that at my weight that would create more problems than it would solve. I also considered progressive springs, but if the problem is the oil getting through the holes, then no spring change will matter. I think the cartridges are my fix. I just have to find the roundtoits to get it done.

spacetiger

Katherine,

Your weight and size are good news as I think you can adjust the factory components to give you a good ride.

Set your rear preload first. You are light enough that I'd be surprised if you need more than one bump.

The adjustment of your front suspension might require some adjustment, but should be close as your weight is probably close to what the designers set the initial parameters at. But your oil is where I think you solve this problem. Have you had it changed? Or, if you bought used, do you know if the previous owner changed the fluid? Knowing what it was changed to, would be valuable because you would know what to try next. Not knowing the current fluid, I'd suggest a 5wt fork oil, or you could try car automatic transmission fluid (ATF). ATF was used as standard practice in the damper rod era and was seen as a "7.5wt" oil. I think 10wt would work for you and would not be surprised if you have a 20wt oil in there now. But if you want to be safe, you can use 5wt.

If you had any mechanical skills, I would suggest drilling and taping the fork lowers so fluid changes in the future are easier as you would not have to pull the forks. Since the NT doesn't have drain holes, you have to pull the forks to change the fluid. Who ever does this should not over fill the forks as this will cause problems to.

It sounds like a pain, but I think you will really enjoy the bike if you get the suspension adjusted to you. Perhaps someone close to you on this site can help you(?). I would be glad to help, but you are too far to ride this way.

The race tech valve requires the extra [bigger] holes to neuter the existing damper function. That function is replaced by the new valve assembly attached to the damper rod. I think they are about $150. For your situation (since you really are not that heavy), I'd try the fluid change first. Its your cheapest option as it requires no change to the bike other than the oil.

Jerry

karl

Site Supporter
Bike
2010 Silver NT700VAA
Did anyone just hear thunder? LOL

Last edited:

elizilla

LOL! Spacetiger, I do all my own work, and I'm probably one of the biggest spenders here when it comes to farkles. I live for this stuff. And I *do* enjoy this bike. I'm the first owner, so the PO didn't do anything to it. I have not yet changed the fork oil, though it is on my list. And I'm not afraid to spend money on fork oil, or Race-Tech parts, or whatever I decide that I want. :)

If you want a summary, here is the photo album with the pictures I've used to illustrate my posts about the things I've done to the bike. I'm not shoehorning different engines in, and I don't have a welder, but this suspension work is well within my comfort zone.

spacetiger

Most excellent work! Keep us posted on how you resolve this.

Jerry

Top Bottom